AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 275 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
And oddly, I believe (I may be wrong)the Nero 4S was the choice of projector installed in CEDIA's new headquarters. Someone around here was just talking about it who did the calibration.

EDIT: im going to look around and try to find that article.

https://www.svconline.com/blog/221-1

It was the Barco Loki. Yikes ive heard bad things about its contrast. 500:1 They are only demoing bright stuff in that room.
Ken Whitcomb did the video calibration of the Barco Loki. I built the racks and did the audio calibration. At the grand opening, we used the opening scene from The Greatest Showman, Bohemian Rhapsody Live Aid scene, and I forget what else. So not all bright demo content. We also considered scenes from Lucy, Blade Runner 2049, Oblivion, and other favorites.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Their design is unique, wonder if others could also implement (light and dark units). So, if put up a grey scale cover one of the lenses, you will see part of the scale disappear? This thread has been a real education in what actually ends up giving you a great picture. Thanks again for sharing. SJ

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Why is that then? Do the pixels from the second projector not perfectly overlap the pixels from the first?
Also, I wonder if it will ever suffer from micro asynchronisation? ;)

By that I mean what will happen if one projector is doing its e-shifting at a rate that is minutely different to the other...… How do they keep them perfectly in sync? That might get weird on my old eyeballs....

I would have thought having native chips, would simplify the whole thing a great deal...?:confused:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I have 20/16 vision
C'mon Nigel! You really should upgrade to 20/19 vision. It has higher bandwidth and no posterization. :D:D:)

Reactions: catonic

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Also, I wonder if it will ever suffer from micro asynchronisation? ;)

By that I mean what will happen if one projector is doing its e-shifting at a rate that is minutely different to the other...… How do they keep them perfectly in sync? That might get weird on my old eyeballs....

I would have thought having native chips, would simplify the whole thing a great deal...?:confused:
To clarify, both projectors are HD 1080p resolution. There is no e-shifting :)

C'mon Nigel! You really should upgrade to 20/19 vision. It has higher bandwidth and no posterization. :D:D:)
I think you mean downgrade, as 20/19 vision is worse than 20/16 ;)

:wink:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
To clarify, both projectors are HD 1080p resolution. There is no e-shifting :)
Gotcha. They are permanently offset then. So how do you get perfectly square corners (of the screen) in that case?

I
think you mean downgrade, as 20/19 vision is worse than 20/16 ;)

….Yur, know that...but.... 'cos year...… ;):D

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
There is no offset. Just two 1080p images overlapping.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Doesn't that just make a brighter 1080 image?
Wouldn't you need 4x1080 screens to make 4k?

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
Doesn't that just make a brighter 1080 image?
Wouldn't you need 4x1080 screens to make 4k?
To clarify, the projected image resulting from the combination of the two projectors is HD 1080p resolution. It is not 4K :)

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Well I just heard some exciting news...

It is looking like SIM2 will have the HDR DUO PLUS on demo at CEDIA 2019 in Denver, which is in only 4 months time in September :)

So, any of fine gentlemen and ladies attending CEDIA this year should hopefully be able to check it out and see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Ken Whitcomb did the video calibration of the Barco Loki. I built the racks and did the audio calibration. At the grand opening, we used the opening scene from The Greatest Showman, Bohemian Rhapsody Live Aid scene, and I forget what else. So not all bright demo content. We also considered scenes from Lucy, Blade Runner 2049, Oblivion, and other favorites.
Thanks for chiming in. I bet that room sounds fantastic!

Well one of the two examples you gave is indeed a very bright scene. I have not ever watched The Greatest Showman but ive heard it has some great HDR scenes. The ones considered(?) are indeed some dark ones.

What is your opinion on the $90k single chip Loki? Lots of light thats for sure.

·
Registered
21,130 Posts
Great write up! Will SIm2 demo this at CEDIA 2019 in Denver? If so that would be great!
Hi folks,

It is looking like SIM2 will have the HDR DUO PLUS on demo at CEDIA 2019 in Denver, which is in only 4 months time in September :)

So, any of fine gentlemen and ladies attending CEDIA this year should hopefully be able to check it out and see what all the fuss is about.

Great news!! Mark Burnstein keeps wanting me to go WAY up to Michigan so I can blow his Sim2 Duo bulbs out (by watching too much video). Now I can see the DUO Plus a cheap and short air hop from Phoenix to [email protected]@@

Reactions: Reddig and ARROW-AV

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Hi folks,

Arrow that is in fact wonderful news!! I will be there and will MOST DEFINITELY demo the HDR DUO PLUS. I can't wait!:D

Reactions: ARROW-AV

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Great news!! Mark Burnstein keeps wanting me to go WAY up to Michigan so I can blow his Sim2 Duo bulbs out (by watching too much video). Now I can see the DUO Plus a cheap and short air hop from Phoenix to [email protected]@@
Arrow that is in fact wonderful news!! I will be there and will MOST DEFINITELY demo the HDR DUO PLUS. I can't wait!:D
Excellent news gents! :)

@Reddig, it will be great to meet you and we always have a great time at CEDIA. Will be good to see you again Steve as well! We are going to have so much fun! :cool:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Excellent news gents! :)

@Reddig, it will be great to meet you and we always have a great time at CEDIA. Will be good to see you again Steve as well! We are going to have so much fun! :cool:

Thanks so much @ARROW-AV It will be absolutely wonderful to meet you and others as well! I can not wait!:)

Reactions: ARROW-AV

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well thanks Arrow, you officially blew my mind again. I thought after reading your intro that there's no way this would compare to Christie's Ultimate Projector (is that its real/official name?) or even come close to a JVC flagship, but boooooyyyyy it smacked the JVC NX9 pretty good. And damn well near Christie's Projector which costs a lot more...

Since you've reviewed and tested the best of the best, could you make an ultimate top 10 (or top 5) best projectors money can buy?

I love rankings, ratings, statistics etc, unfortunately not much exists in the premium end of the projector market - I really appreciate the contrast table & graph you made! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We had another 3D viewing session yesterday, the picture was plenty bright with both filters in (P3+). We tried taking one filter out and the picture did get a little brighter, but at the slight expense of contrast and color richness. @Alan Gouger has officially become a 3D fan. Watching Smurfs 2 we both agreed the 3D version exceeded the UHD one (which has some of our reference scenes for HDR).
While the HDR pop of the magic blue light was more pronounced on UHD, it was still very close on 3D. But as good as the depth of picture was on the UHD, the 3D blue it away. It puts you in the movie. It’s surprising how good the 8bit color content can look.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I can't remember whether they were edge-blending or overlapping slightly offset but either way however you dress it up 2 stacked 4K resolution projectors does not equate to 8K resolution! :rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge no, SONY has never implemented this and has no intentions of doing so. It was purely a marketing stunt as a knee-jerk (overreaction) to JVC showcasing e-Shift 8K resolution at IFA and CEDIA

For what its worth I really think all the projector manufacturers should be focusing on optimizing performance with 4K resolution and forget about 8K resolution, but there we go :)

This is the old NHK/JVC trick remember the 2006 Demo's with an rggb LCoS projector by JVC, at IBC, (and NAB before that). JVC shelved the initial true 8K lCoS projector almost a decade ago, going with 4K and pixelshift instead. 8K Panels re-surfaced a few years ago in the JVC simulation range. Following the pixel shifting we now see in the NX9. Lead customer traditionally is Boeing.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
We had another 3D viewing session yesterday, the picture was plenty bright with both filters in (P3+). We tried taking one filter out and the picture did get a little brighter, but at the slight expense of contrast and color richness. @Alan Gouger has officially become a 3D fan. Watching Smurfs 2 we both agreed the 3D version exceeded the UHD one (which has some of our reference scenes for HDR).
While the HDR pop of the magic blue light was more pronounced on UHD, it was still very close on 3D. But as good as the depth of picture was on the UHD, the 3D blue it away. It puts you in the movie. It’s surprising how good the 8bit color content can look.
Indeed. I must say I am typically not a 3D fan yet I found myself more immersed watching the 3D version on the SIM2 Duo. I now recommend more 3D glasses for Brad:)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Have I just entered a parallel universe where 4k doesn’t exist? :confused: I am just baffled by all this excitement and talk over lamp based 1080p projectors. Now there is talk on 4k vs 3d again. :eek: Nothing personal, but just sayin’ ....

141 - 160 of 275 Posts