AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm in trouble. I went to the HE show here in NY today looking to see the Marantz and Sharp. Bought my Firehawk just waiting on the PJ. 3 different places showed the Sharp. The Sharp booth, the Harvey's booth and one other I forgot. Needless to say I was very unimpressed. I was really quite upset because I had already made up my mind, sight unseen based on the reports form this very forum.

I happened to be with JLM and we stumbled uppon Cliff Plavin, calibrator extrdinaire! We got to talking and walked into the Sim room. OH MY!

Both the HT 200 and HT 300 were there and they were breathtaking. INKY blacks, great color, no rainbow just gorgeous. The HT200 actually looked better, it was playing a DVD. The HT 300 was playing HD and looked good too. Cliff explained that the 300 not only had more resolution but a better color wheel. So why didn't it look better? It was being projected on a larger screen, was the answer I got but, it looked damn good too.

Just wanted to give my impressions. I am buying the SIM300 now and feel I made the correct choice. If all 3 Sharps looked that bad, I cannot buy one with any confidence. I am not bashing, it's just what I saw and I have to buy based on my eyes. Not 1 but, 3 bad setups just killed the sale.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad you got to see all 3 projectors. Once you see the HT300 you are hooked, I know that.

You will be very happy with this purchase.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The Seleco room door was pegged open. Substantial light from the door opening was being picked up by the screen the 300 was being projected on thereby washing the picture out some.

The screen for the cheaper projector while not as wide as the other screen was located where light coming through the door opening could not fall on it. Thus, the picture looked blacker, more contrast etc etc.

The picture from the HD feed was much much much better than the 480i feed. Seleco wanted to demonstrate their deinterlacer and not the one in the DVD player, thus the 480i feed. Of course the 1080i would be down converted to 720p on the 300 and I believe 480p on the cheaper machine.

The cheaper machine uses the F chips as well as does the 300.

As women in the room who didn't know bubkus about projectors commented how much better the 300 was over the cheaper machine.

I not trying to pick too much here. Plasmas are generally viewed with lights on in the room and I wouldn't expect expert plasma reviewers such as Eric to be sensitive to ambient conditions in viewing FPJs.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
actually, i preferred the 300, and the ambient lighting was sub-par. i even walked right up to both screens and compared the projected pixel structure; observably finer at 6" with the 300; duh.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Actually Eric I was wearing a light tan suit, a blue shirt, and a tie that said "woof." I was carrying a travel bag for literature and for my insulin and supplies. My cell phone is a recent model flip one and sits in a little case on one end of the travel bag. Regarding your "alopecia" remark. I do not know what the word means. I do have some loss of skin pigmentation on my neck. My mother has it too. By the way, I was being complimentary about your plasma reviewing skills.

Now, re your FPJ reviewing skills. You made no mention of the light falling on the 300's screen and not on the cheaper machine's screen. I was proffering an explanation for why you may have preferred the cheaper machine's image (480p vs the better 720p, lower contrast ratio etc) and why your made no mention of the light falling on one screen issue.

Actually there will be others who read this thread who will attend the show over the weekend. They will be able to view the same set up we both viewed and will be able to judge the validity of your and my opinions as to what machine was better. Maybe the majority will agree with you. I doubt itBUT it would be OK.

I was not attempting to embarrass you. However, through you threatening comments to me you have embarrassed yourself for all to see.

I am getting tired of your abuse and your implied physical threats.

ALL AVS MEMBERS BEWARE. APPARENTLY IF YOU POINT OUT A FLAW IN ERIC's REVIEWS, YOU RUN THE RISK OF HAVING YOUR LEGS BROKEN OR YOUR SKULL BASHED IN BY HIM.

I know certain in the industry are indeed scared of you because of your reported profession. Others have warned me to take your threats seriously.

OK. Now I will. I will call Alan today and request that you be banned from the forum. You are in violation of the rules by which most of us let our conduct here be governed. Obviously you think you are above it all.

I met many New Yorkers on my visit to NYC yesterday. To a person, everyone was nice and helpful. I really had a nice day and not just my time at the show, but my time in the rest of the city. From your threats, Thank God, I didn't meet you.

I will be at CEDIA and CES too. I will contact appropriate officials for CEDIA and the Electronics Industry Association and request that you be denied entry to their events because of the security threat you present. I know ex Congressman Dave McGurdy and Gary Shapiro will take your threats to me very seriously. I will inform the Minn. and Las Vegas police of your threats before I attend the upcoming CEDIA and CES.

You have no right to upset me or others by making bullying threatening comments.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My post was deleted.

This is the second reference to my reported profession. I am a licensed Nadaq market maker. I trade equities and used to be a licenesed oil trader in the pits back during the persian gulf war. I have no idea what my reported profession you keep referring to is, you seem to insinuate I am a gangster of some sort. I'm Jewish, so you can eliminate me being in the mob and while not as meak as you, I am not 6'4" 300lb killer either.

Looks like I'm not banned, sorry Mark.

I will be at Cedia and CES like I am every year. Please do show me your clout and have me banned. If you can, I'll give you a hundred bucks for yur skill. More than likely you will be laughed out of the building, quite similar to the way you are here.

"I know ex Congressman Dave McGurdy and Gary Shapiro will take your threats to me very seriously. I will inform the Minn. and Las Vegas police of your threats before I attend the upcoming CEDIA and CES."

Give them my best and tell them I say hello. If you need a current photo to submit to the Police for identification, please email me and I will send it to you immediately. See you soon, Love Eric

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i went looking to see a sharp show its stuff, but unfortunately the three 9000's we saw were not set up well; the JVC at the faroudja booth was and so was the seleco. all one can do is say the good looked good.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
No AJ. This is not a joke and it is not at all funny to the person being threatened. If anyone knows Eric's full name and address I would be most appreciative so I can turn it over the proper authorities.

Eric. Yes, please do furnish a recent photo, Perhaps you could mail it to Alan who could verify it is you and send it on to me. This is not an issue of whether I have clout. I and others are concerned about my safety in your presence.

Glad to know you are honestly employed and not a criminal. Let's hope you can remain not being one. Threats, even without carrying them out, could descend elevate you into this status. Restraining injunctions are quickly issued by courts now a days. If you mean no harm and intend to bring none upon me, so state and the matter will be forgotten.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Eric B

I pulled your post with the threat to crack someones skull open.

What the F%$ is going on here.

Just because someones opinion did not agree with yours.

Your name was not even brought into this at that point to cause such a reaction.

End it now. I you cant get along with everyone move on.

I dont look forward to spending my day baby sitting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.