AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently received and installed my Sim2 & am very pleased with it, with the possible exception once I mounted it upside down!

Anyway - I have a couple of questions for owners out there:

1) Many picture setting features are disabled once you use the Pro Scan setting - is that because the projector can't make changes for that type of signal?

2) Brightness & Contrast - any suggestions for optimum settings? Or is it just a case of trial & error?

3) Frequency, Phase settings - I haven't got a clue about these - can anyone advise, or are they best left alone?

4) Gamma, Colur temperature - again, any suggestions for 'optimum' settings gratefully received!

5) Finally - scalers. The person I bought the projector from highly recommended I also buy a Faroudja NRS to 'upgrade' the picture! As it is only a SVGA unit anyway, and I already have a Progressive Scan DVD player, what difference would this make? Also - what other units would make a less expensive improvement perhaps?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks - Paul

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Paul,

If we lived in a perfect world you would simply throw in the Avia disc, make all neccessary settings, then sit back and enjoy the ever growing number of movies that are now being made available. But being such is not the case, we sometimes need to tweak the settings as we go along. Some members of this forum, including myself, very rarely get to enjoy a movie in its entirety because we are too busy tweaking, or searching for the next reason to tweak If you are smart you will enjoy your projector for its intended purpose;watching movies, and not use it as a means to search for anomalies.

You must also take into account that DVD quality can vary quite dramatically. i.e., I just purchased one of my favorite movies (Thief, with James Caan) and I can't believe how horrible the video transfer is. It is so bad that I will be forced to watch this title on laser disc. But then again it is a MGM title and they're not exactly noted for their craftmanship. After purchasing more than several MGM titles, I came to the conclusion that the person responsible for MGM's DVD transfers has some serious personal issues.

A good place to start with the HT200DM:

Contrast: 42

Brightness: 54

YCrCb 15 khz (460I)

YCrCb 32 hhz (460P)

Gamma: Video 1

Color temperature is a matter of personal taste. I normally leave this on the "medium" setting, except when viewing certain b&w movies that tend to have a yellowish cast. Changing to a cooler setting in some instances will give a b&w image a more natural tone.

You will also be better off using the 16:9 aspect (848x480 active pixels). In this mode there is a faster "load time" , which means a major improvement in faster moving images.

Also make sure the 200DM is set to "Ananmorphic" when viewing DVDs that are "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs"

Well I hope this helps. Enjoy your 200DM, you'll love it even more as time goes by. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Ciao,

Peter Milol,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.