AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this forum for many months and gaining invaluable information, I've finally decided to post.

I've been looking for a HT projector for some time now. I considered the 10HT, LT150, LT155 then looked at CRT including the Barco Cine7 and Seleco 500HD and finally the HT200 and HT200DM. I also considered waiting for the Sharp Z9000 and even the HT300. I have just finished my HT room and got a demo of the HT200DM at home from the local Adelaide distributor who has been fantastic (Derek Croser).

I chose a local OZ screen, a 100" (diag) 16x9 fixed wall LP Morgan (1:1 gain). The DVD player I am using is the Skyworth 1050P which does progressive PAL and NTSC connected via component.

The demo was fantastic and I bought the HT200DM. This is a wonderful projector for watching DVD's. Color's are superb and contrast and blacks are very good. Also no rainbow which was crucial.

I do have a couple of questions for other HT200DM owners :

1. Is anyone using the VGA out to a DVD player, and if so is it any better than component? The Skyworth accepts a direct VGA input for pregressive as well as component.

2. What sort of levels are people setting brightness and contrast for DVD viewing? I have set it using Video Essentials but would be interested in other comments.

3. Is there any point using 4x3 mode on a 16x9 screen for watching 4x3 sources?

To Spero :

I know your very keen on the Sharp Z9000, I was wondering if you had seen the HT200DM. If you had, what didn't you like about it? Just interested to know. Of course I haven't seen the Sharp as it is not yet released in OZ.

Looking forward to any comments.

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
To Spero :

I know your very keen on the Sharp Z9000, I was wondering if you had seen the HT200DM. If you had, what didn't you like about it? Just interested to know. Of course I haven't seen the Sharp as it is not yet released in OZ.
Hi Derek. And congrats on your Seleco. To answer your questions no I have not seen the Seleco 200DM as it is not on my list of future Projectors that I am considering. Don't get me wrong I am sure it is a fine product but it is not what I am after. I have a Da-Lite 90" 16:9 Motorised Screen and am currently using the predecessor to the Sony 10HT the Sony 400QM LCD projector with native 16:9 panel. The next projector I have been waiting to upgrade to is a DLP projector that also has a native 16:9 panel to obtain the full resolution possible onto my 16:9 screen without the addition of any ISO lenses etc. Also with the advent of 16:9 SDTV and more importantly HDTV broadcast in Australia the need for a 16:9 panel reinforced the need for a native 16:9 panel DLP. Now the 1st of those DLP projectors sporting these 16:9 panels are here. The Sharp XV-Z9000E will be the 1st 16:9 DLP in Australia coming out mid this month for a retail of $18,900. I will soon be placing my order for the unit upon seeing it in person. However after all the rave reviews and those wonderful screen shots I have seen of the Sharp XV-Z9000E I may not need see it and may just order it. Also comparing pricing here in Australia the Sharp XV-Z9000E is a bargain at its price. Here are some figures-

Australia RRP-

Sony 11HT 16:9 LCD Projector $13,999

Yamaha DLP-1 4:3 DLP Projector $16,999

Seleco 200DM Projector- $18,999

Seleco 250- $23,000

DWIN Transvision DLP 4:3 (however 16:9 DWIN being released should also be the same price- $26,000

Seleco HT300 16:9 DLP- $28,000 (According to the Vic distributer for Seleco)

And finally the Sharp XV-Z9000E for $18,900 and of course less on the street. At $5000 more than the Sony 11HT LCD and $9100 less than the upcoming Seleco HT300 you can see why the Sharp is a bargain. Also considering that with the Seleco HT300 I would also be needing the additional box RII box for the additional inputs which the Sharp XV-Z9000E already sports the Seleco is out of my price range.

I hope this answers why I am keen on the Sharp XV-Z9000E and hope you enjoy your Seleco.

Enjoy,

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spero,

Thanks for your comments. Your requirements are slightly different to mine. Number one priority for me was DVD viewing which made the dual mode (16x9) on the HT200DM ideal. SDTV should also be very good (don't yet have a DSTB). HDTV, well I'll have to wait and see but was not top of my list. Long lamp life of the HT200DM (6000 hours) and the fact that it is completely sealed (so no cleaning) was a bonus. Also, for me the long throw distance was an added benefit. The pj sits on a unit (with all my equipment) behind me.

The Sharp sounds like a very nice unit and pricing is right. I'm sure the HT300 would be wonderful, but $28k to $30k is expensive. As well there seems to be some doubt as to whether it will actually be better than the HT200DM for Dvd viewing.

I'll be very interested to get your views when you get the Sharp. Are you ordering the Sharp locally or from O/seas?

All the best.

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Derek it will have to be locally as the E version is currently undergoing optimization for PAL progressive etc.

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spero,

Thanks for your comments. Your requirements are slightly different to mine. Number one priority for me was DVD viewing which made the dual mode (16x9) on the HT200DM ideal. SDTV should also be very good (don't yet have a DSTB). HDTV, well I'll have to wait and see but was not top of my list. Long lamp life of the HT200DM (6000 hours) and the fact that it is completely sealed (so no cleaning) was a bonus. Also, for me the long throw distance was an added benefit. The pj sits on a unit (with all my equipment) behind me.

The Sharp sounds like a very nice unit and pricing is right. I'm sure the HT300 would be wonderful, but $28k to $30k is expensive. As well there seems to be some doubt as to whether it will actually be better than the HT200DM for Dvd viewing.

I'll be very interested to get your views when you get the Sharp. Are you ordering the Sharp locally or from O/seas?

All the best.

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why my reply posted twice. Weird.

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Derek,

Congratulations on your decision to go with the 200DM. I've had mine since July and I love it even more as time goes by. IMO, anyone who does not audition this projector first hand is doing themselves a great disservice.

I'm enclosing some info I had made up for another member that addresses some of your questions:

If we lived in a perfect world you would simply throw in the Avia disc, make all neccessary settings, then sit back and enjoy the ever growing number of movies that are now being made available. But being such is not the case, we sometimes need to tweak the settings as we go along. Some members of this forum, including myself, very rarely get to enjoy a movie in its entirety because we are too busy tweaking, or searching for the next reason to tweak If you are smart you will enjoy your projector for its intended purpose;watching movies, and not use it as a means to search for anomalies.

You must also take into account that DVD quality can vary quite dramatically. i.e., I just purchased one of my favorite movies (Thief, with James Caan) and I can't believe how horrible the video transfer is. It is so bad that I will be forced to watch this title on laser disc. But then again it is a MGM title and they're not exactly noted for their craftmanship. After purchasing more than several MGM titles, I came to the conclusion that the person responsible for MGM's DVD transfers has some serious personal issues.

A good place to start with the HT200DM:

Contrast: 42

Brightness: 54

YCrCb 15 khz (460I)

YCrCb 32 hhz (460P)

Gamma: Video 1

Color temperature is a matter of personal taste. I normally leave this on the "medium" setting, except when viewing certain b&w movies that tend to have a yellowish cast. Changing to a cooler setting in some instances will give a b&w image a more natural tone.

You will also be better off using the 16:9 aspect (848x480 active pixels). In this mode there is a faster "load time" , which means a major improvement in faster moving images.

Also make sure the 200DM is set to "Ananmorphic" when viewing DVDs that are "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs"

Well I hope this helps. Enjoy your 200DM, you'll love it even more as time goes by. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Ciao,

Peter Milo

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peter,

Thanks for your comments. Your settings are pretty close to mine for brightness and contrast. I'm using a progressive player so the HT200DM is always set to this when I'm watching Dvd's (ie 32khz). I must admit, I find it interesting that some people are dismissing this unit (without even seeing it!) due to the 800 x 600 resolution. For watching Dvd's I doubt there are many projectors on the market that are better.

I guess that's part of what makes this hobby (obsession!) so interesting. All the different points of view!

Regards

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Australia RRP-

Sony 11HT 16:9 LCD Projector $13,999

Yamaha DLP-1 4:3 DLP Projector $16,999

Seleco 200DM Projector- $23,000

DWIN Transvision DLP 4:3 (however 16:9 DWIN being released should also be the same price- $28,000

Seleco HT300 16:9 DLP- $30,000+ (According to Derek whom I presume did the Demo for yourself Derek)
Just a note:

The Retail price for the Transvision (1024x768)is now A$26,000 inc 10% Gst which is down from the original A$28,000.

The new pricing for the Transvision2 (1280x720) has not yet been announced.

Colin
WAVS Aust

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have changed the RRP above in my top post to reflect Colins new pricing and the change in pricing announced from the Vic. distributer for Seleco.

Spero D.

·
Registered
157 Posts
VU, I'm in Adelaide too. Who here is demo-ing the Seleco 200DM? I'm not buying, I'd just like to check it out. I use a Sony 1272 CRT and I've got a Skyworth too.

Spero, who will be selling the Sharp here? I wouldn't mind having a peek at that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations Derek. Can you or other HT200DM owners answer a simple one ...

Is the HT200DM an appropriate Sim2/Seleco model for an HTPC user?

Can the internal scaler be bypassed when using the VGA input? Or can you bypass/disable the scaler?

Cheers,

----

Ez Goldman Dreamvision DL500, HTPC PIII/GeForce

[This message has been edited by Ezra Goldman (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geordie,

I saw a demo of the HT200 at HiFi Acoustics and then arranged for a home demo of the HT200DM. I believe that HiFi Acoustics will also be demoing the Sharp Z9000 when it arrives in Adelaide sometime in October.

Ezra,

I'm not running a HTPC with my HT200DM (Skyworth Progressive DVD player instead). However, I understand that Alan Gouger from AVS uses a HTPC with his HT200DM so he may be able to answer your questions.

PS The smile on my face just gets bigger with every movie I see on this projector!

Regards

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Spero, who will be selling the Sharp here? I wouldn't mind having a peek at that too.
As soon as the Sharp is out this month I will let you know where you can see it. If I do purchase it you are more then welcome to come over and check it out if you are seriously considering it.

Spero D.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
VU Quotes:

The smile on my face just gets bigger with every movie I see on this projector!

Amen to that, VU!

I also would like to point out that I owned a HT250 before the 200DM. So believe me when I tell you that more resolution isn't always necessarily better!

Enjoy,

Peter M

·
Registered
549 Posts
VU,

Your original question was about the VGA input versus high-band component. When I evaluated the DM for Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, I noticed a good deal of horizontal motion anomalies with any type of component input...including high definition.

If your DVD player has the output, I would to hear your results trying the VGA input. There might have been a firmware update since my early sample...but I haven't heard anything about one.

Sincerely,

John Gannon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John,

The current firmware version is 1.17DM. This is what my HT200DM is running. I believe there were some issues that have been fixed by this update, although I can't recall what they were. I do not see any motion anomalies (either horizontal or vertical) at all, just a great image. Maybe there was a problem that has been fixed. I might try the Vga connection just as a matter of interest.

------------------

Derek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.