AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I bought an HT300 Plus projector. It is shining on my textured, white basement wall and looks fantastic. Screen to arrive next week. Can not wait.

What DVD players are best for this projector? Do I need upscaling? or does the on board PJ processor handle that? Do I connect via the DCI or component port?

All opinions welcome.

Randy

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you want the very best use your DVI-port.

Denons DVD-3910 gets rave-reviews everywhere you look,

the same goes for the DVD-2910.

Both are 5-star-performers in this novembers what-hifi,

Hifi-choice reviewed the 3910 I believe and they where stunned.

DVI-cables are expensive tough,

but a PJ like yours deserves it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think the HT300 Plus is an older model that pre-dates DVI inputs. But Herakles has mentioned two very good players that should look outstanding even using component cables.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great input...and thanks! The HT300 plus that I have has a DVI-D input. I have read however, that it may not be HDCP compatible....I guess i will find out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a problem with my 300+ and my Pioneer DV-47A DVD player using the progressive component setting. It causes brightness shifting on macrovision enabled DVD's. I posted about this a while back and there was someone else with the same issue. However, many other owners posted they had no problem with this. Might be an issue with the Pioneer player. Not a big issue for me since I use my HTPC to play DVD anyway and could always use the interlace output of the DVD player if I had too.

A properly setup HTPC using DVI (I use Theater Tek and ffdshow to upscale / resize and denoise the image) produces by far the best image from DVD for my projector. I have also A/B this setup against my Samsung DVD player that will upscale to 720P into my Samsung DLP TV and FWIW the HTPC is the clear winner as well. NOTE the Samsung DVD player outputs any upscaled images using HDCP so this will not work into the projector.

One other option you might look into is a BRAVO DVD player - I know they marketed some players that upscaled over DVI but did not use HDCP. Not sure if there latest players enforce HDCP or not so you should be carefull to be sure. There were some issues here as well so a good search would be in order.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.