AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sim2 Ht300 xtra and Ht300 link

759 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tomrhyne 
#1 ·
The coolest front pj I was able to see at CEDIA was Sim2's new Ht300extra.

This product has no light spill compared to their previous models, I wasn't able to hear any noise, but of course it is not easy to pick up on this in a demo room filled with people.

The Ht300 xtra is equipped with the HD2+ chip and Sim2 declares a contrast ratio of 2800:1.

I think there has been some change in their lamp due to the fact that they also declare 8000 hours of lamp life.

The quality of the product was outstanding and I really enjoyed the demo ... what is interesting is the fact that Sim2 offers a more expensive model which is equipped with a remote processing box connected to the projector via fiber optics. (This is the same technology Sim uses on their RP). This is the Ht300 link which seems to have the same performances of the extra but with the addition of the fiber optic technology and also HDMI.

I am a Sim fan and an italian-style fan, but this time I think Sim2 has really presented a cool concept.

Now its just a matter of finding it in the market!

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I own a Sim2 projector and am always interested in hearing about their improvements. I am familiar with the link, but not the 300 extra. Do both have the same contrast and lumens with the only difference in the link (external box). Do you know what the price will be? Lastly, will they do a dvi feed through the bravo dvd player. Thanks Greg

#3 ·
Hi Greg,

Yes, yes and yes. The price should be about two thirds the iLINk and will probably work out cheaper than the Marantz S3. And yes, it does have the DVI.

And a special thanks to Buialat for drawing our attention to this great pj. For some reason, SIM2 does not seem to be attracting as much attention as some other projecter manufactures at the show.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hayward
For some reason, SIM2 does not seem to be attracting as much attention as some other projecter manufactures at the show.
I don't know about others, but the price of the Link seems high to me at $15K. Also, I like the idea of the Domino 20 and 30, but surprisingly, both these projectors lack a DVI input. In fact, these are probably the only digital projectors announced that don't have DVI. And this is from a company that puts DVI and HDMI on their other models, so they must believe it is important. With DVI/HMDI players on the horizon, these projectors seem dead in the water.

#5 ·
The Marantz S3 and the new Link and Extra were my picks from CEDIA.

Perhaps it is not called light spill but there is still light coming from the cabinet vents hitting the ceiling. I agree it is not as much as the 300 or 300+ but it is still there. At this price point, I would have hoped for a light tight unit!

Why didn't SIM2 use the 7 segment color wheel?

#8 ·
I found out today that the DVI will *NOT* be HDCP, only the HDMI on the 300Link.

So the 300XTRA will *NOT* have HDCP DVI.

This is a real bummer since HDCP-DVI is going to be huge around here in the next month or so, and moving forward as well.

-- Cain

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
I thought that HDMI was compatible with DVI. If this is true, then it shouldnt makes a difference if the input is DVI or HDMI.
Yes, HDMI is compatible with DVI, but HDMI also includes HDCP compatibility as part of its standard, where DVI does not. Bottom line, the Link has two digital inputs, one HDMI and one DVI. Since it has been confirmed that the DVI input does not have HDCP, the HDMI input is the only one that will work with sources that use HDCP. For the Link, this means that you only have one HCDP-capable input, not two. For the Xtra, however, it means you have NO HDCP-capable inputs! As I stated in another thread, I can't image someone releasing a $12K HD2+ projector that is not HDCP capable. Since Sim is an Italian company, I can only assume that Europe is not plagued with the same copy-protection issues we have in the US. Even the Sanyo Z2 that is expected to be released around $2500 has DVI with HDCP. For that matter, almost every 720 projector released in the last 6 months has HDCP compatibility.

#14 ·
Greg, I am using the D1 connected via DVI with my 300 Plus. I believe the interface will be essentially the same with the Link/Extra using DVI.

Tom

#16 ·
Yes, Alan Gouger has the same hook up and he says it is as good as any HTC he has used.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.