AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received my HT3000 projector back from Sim2, which was upgraded to "e" status. The upgrade consists of:

* New lamp

* New color wheel

* Unishape ballast

* EEPROM

I re-mounted the projector, fired it up. Going through the menu system, the first difference I noticed was an option for lamp output (160w or 200w). The default is 160w. I played a blu-ray disc (Fifth Element..what else?) as a test. This thing is bright. At the 160w bulb setting, it is definately brighter than my original HT-3000. I have a small screen (Firehawk 80" diagonal) and was pleased with the punchy picture...no need to go to high-bulb here probably until I have about 1000 hours on this thing.

I'm using the EN5 gamma for my film-based material, and EN2 for my DirecTV video stuff. After tweaking for a couple of evenings, I am *very* satisfied. This is a picture I can live with for a very long time.

After two nights playing around viewing different source material, I didn't notice any rainbows. Some here have complained, but let's face it: some people are more sensitive to RBE than others. I've read posts here from people who claim to see RBE on *all* single-chip projectors, making them a non-option. For me, no problem. I've never had a guest complain either.

For the original HT-3000 owners wishing to upgrade, I say DO IT. Sim2 is being more than generous with the low upgrade fee.

TA

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Gee, on a screen this small I would think the HT3000e would literally be blinding. Doesn't it put out 1000+ lumens?

Yes, with lamp on the 200w setting. At 160w with the projector about 14' from the screen, it's bright but not to the point of wrecking the picture (1.3 gain grey screen). I have a Hoya ND filter, so just for fun I'll see if it makes an improvement.

BTW, the Unishape technology claims to improve blacks by 60% over the older technology. I have to say that blacks are obviously better. Movies have a deeper, more solid look than before. Kinda like going from LCD to Plasma.

I've never posted screen-shots before but I'll try to capture some representative images.

TA

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbelmont /forum/post/12862537

Yes, with lamp on the 200w setting. At 160w with the projector about 14' from the screen, it's bright but not to the point of wrecking the picture (1.3 gain grey screen). I have a Hoya ND filter, so just for fun I'll see if it makes an improvement.

BTW, the Unishape technology claims to improve blacks by 60% over the older technology. I have to say that blacks are obviously better. Movies have a deeper, more solid look than before. Kinda like going from LCD to Plasma.

I've never posted screen-shots before but I'll try to capture some representative images.

TA

Sounds great!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Off topic. I've been to Belmont California. Very nice town. Great drive up the nerby mountain (Big Bear? or something like that) with fantastic redwoods.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Bright with amazing contrast....such a difficult combination to achieve. The HT3000 is one of the few projectors which gives a great compromise.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched BLADE RUNNER: DIRECTOR'S CUT tonight (blu-ray) via the HT-3000e. A very good test of a projector's ability to handle a "dark" film. The blacks were very good without being crushed. Superior performance compared to my old Infocus 7210 or for that matter, the un-modified HT-3000.

Even my wife, the exact opposite of a videophile, commented that she thought the picture quality was excellent.

TA

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Did you notice an improvement in color saturation? Thanks Greg

Yes. As I mentioned, after the upgrade the picture seems more "dense" (which I credit to the improved black levels) but also the color seems a bit more saturated, or "warm". This of course is adjustable with the various picture tweaks available.

Time for some serious movie watching now. No more "upgradeitus" necessary for a while.

TA

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi All:

I just received mine on Friday and set it up last night.

The wait was rough.. 2 months! But Jason here at AVS was great at keeping me updated on the progress and reasons for the delay. Thanks Jason.

Other than the wait, which shouldn't exist now that they have the parts, this upgrade is an excellent value.

I had just set up the projector and set to D6500 and by eye dialed in brightness and contrast when my son poked his head in the theater and he said. That picture is awesome, way better than it was before Kids just tell lit like it is. I had in Sahara which I often use as a demo disk, the cannons at the beginning wake people up pretty fast.

Well once everyone knew the projector was working that was the end of my tweaking so we watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, a fairly dark movie and the 3000e rally showed its wares, an exceptionally deep and rich picture. It was just so rock solid and it was easy to pick up all the textures in the blacks, shinny tiles, cloth blacks, leather blacks, knit blacks, they all were very distinct with the details easily discernable.

To my eye there really is a 60% increase in contrast.

Before in dark scenes I would see some dithering and just all kinds of noise in the dark scenes, it was noticeable enough that it would cause me to notice the projector and break from being absorbed in the movie. Definitely no longer the case.

The brightness is very noticeable and welcome, in the 160 lamp mode it was brighter than the projector was before. Plus, now I have the ability to increase the brightness as the bulb wears.

Color seems much more saturated and richer, it is just a very stunning image.

Sorry I can't be more technical. I don't have measuring equipment, I haven't tweaked it very much yet, but everyone in the household is blown away by the picture.

If you have an HT3000 and can come up with $1,000.00 don't even think about it, jut get an RMA and send it in. I have no desire for an upgrade and don't feel the need to explore the 3 chip models, before I was considering doing something. I can't say exactly how much better the upgrade makes the projector I can just say I went to being happy with the picture but still sure I wanted more to being very happy with the picture and am sure I can wait a good while for my next projector purchase.

I have an HT3000 (now e) T2 lens shinning on a 10' wide 1.3 Dalite screen. The throw is from 20' shinning through a Panamorph UH380.

I have a backlog of HD-DVD's and BluRay's to catch up on from the last 2 months so I am off to watch some movies.

Gary

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
It is probably one of the first times I have had an upgrade recommendation that cost so little. Guys, thanks for your patience with Sim2 and the backorder...good thing it is worth it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts