AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I´ve just got my new Sim2 HT380 and now I try to make a little finetuning. I´m using a spyderII and the HCFR-software and the with the RGB-levels I can see the potential for tuning. But my problem is how to do it with my Sim2. I contacted the german service for entering the service menu, but they said how better it is to use the new Sim2 Live Colors Calibration. So far, so good. But how to tune the colors in the low, mid or high range? With these new Sim2 software I can adjust the color-triangel in the gammut. I´m a liitle bit confused how to use the color-coordinates and gains to get all colors near the D65 whitepoint between 0 and 100 IRE?

My question: Has someone already made experience with the Live Colors Calibration and can help me how to use in conjunction with HCFR or know, how to get information for tuning a Sim2?

Thanks in advance, Bernd

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller /forum/post/14163084

I´m a liitle bit confused how to use the color-coordinates and gains to get all colors near the D65 whitepoint between 0 and 100 IRE?

Both, color management and white point adjustment are different processes not to be confused!

Quote:
My question: Has someone already made experience with the Live Colors Calibration and can help me how to use in conjunction with HCFR or know, how to get information for tuning a Sim2?

Sure, I have used it to tune a C3X, contact me, if you are interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/14166447

Yes you have to do grayscale separately from the primary/secondary colors. 2 different adjustments.

Is that possible to adjust primary/secondary colors in HT380 's Menu?

I can only see one Triangle in the Color Temp adjustment menu chart, please please let me know how!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocott /forum/post/14170454

Is that possible to adjust primary/secondary colors in HT380 's Menu?

Yes, it sure is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocott /forum/post/14170454

I can only see one Triangle in the Color Temp adjustment menu chart, please please let me know how!

You need the newest firmware and you need a second level password to access this menu. Your dealer should be able to help you with that.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I thought that SIM2 offered a CMS in the form of add-on software that you ran on a laptop and connected to the PJ via a serial connection. This suggests otherwise.

The CMS is built in to the projector's firmware?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/14173939

I thought that SIM2 offered a CMS in the form of add-on software that you ran on a laptop and connected to the PJ via a serial connection. This suggests otherwise.

The CMS is built in to the projector's firmware?

Tom,

The CMS is control software and a graphic front end that is run on a PC.

The firmware needed is indeed resident on the PJ. The PJ uses a more advanced version of Brilliant Color that is specifically required to run the CMS.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/14174325

Tom,

The CMS is control software and a graphic front end that is run on a PC.

The firmware needed is indeed resident on the PJ. The PJ uses a more advanced version of Brilliant Color that is specifically required to run the CMS.

Hope that helps.

So is that possible to for a customer to obtain a copy of the CMS?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocott /forum/post/14177131

So is that possible to for a customer to obtain a copy of the CMS?

Yes, call Sim2.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/14174414

Thanks cm...

No problems.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 /forum/post/14178122

CM, do you happen to know what the latest version is? I have v 1.0.4

Bob

No idea, sorry. They should just put it up as a d/l on the site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

thanks for a lot of ideas and answers. I want to make a summary:

- With CMS-Software I´m able to adjust the color-triangle;

- Without access to the service menu, I´m not able to adjust the grayscale;

Is that correct?

Bernd

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Bmueller

No thats not correct.

Press menu until you get te page with color temperature.

When you press 1 you can select wich primarie setting you want.

Press 2 and you can select a color temp.

Press 3 and you can change the white point (grayscale) of your display and use the user setting.

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Rob,

but I´ve measured from 10 IRE to 100 IRE. If I want to adjust the three primary colors over the whole range of brightness (10 steps), I think it´s necessary to have access to low , (mid) and high points of each color. Thats my understanding, may be I´m wrong. I´ve read "Greyscale Color Calibration for Dummies" (HCFR-Forum) and try to calibrate my Sim2 with the HCFR-Software and a SpyderII.

Bernd

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller /forum/post/14184252

Thanks Rob,

but I´ve measured from 10 IRE to 100 IRE. If I want to adjust the three primary colors over the whole range of brightness (10 steps), I think it´s necessary to have access to low , (mid) and high points of each color. Thats my understanding, may be I´m wrong. I´ve read "Greyscale Color Calibration for Dummies" (HCFR-Forum) and try to calibrate my Sim2 with the HCFR-Software and a SpyderII.

Color calibration does not involve adjustments "over the whole range of brightness (10 steps)". That's just for the calibraion of white (the grayscale). To calibrate the primary and secondary colors, you just use a single level of brightness, either 100% or 75%.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dingen /forum/post/14183020

Hi Bmueller

No thats not correct.

Press menu until you get te page with color temperature.

When you press 1 you can select wich primarie setting you want.

Press 2 and you can select a color temp.

Press 3 and you can change the white point (grayscale) of your display and use the user setting.

Rob

This works for presets, but rarely do they actually match up. For instance D65 could be more like 6000 or so (just as an example). You need to go into the service menu to fine tune the bias/gain controls of each RGB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts