AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts
I too just received a new Sim2 Nero 3D-2. It will be replacing my Marantz VP-15S1 projector. I have an ISCO anamorphic lens already and will be using it with the Nero. Install should happen in the next week or two. Until then, I am anxiously anticipating and reading all impressions I can find online. I have seen one demo at my dealer's showroom and was very impressed with 2D and blown away by the 3D images it produced. Prior to that demo I had little to no interest in 3D. I'll post my impressions once installed. Please keep the commentary flowing as it is great to read about other's impressions while i await my install.

Are these machines Darkship 4 or 3? I'm contemplating the NERO 3D-2, but since my Marantz VP-11S2 is Darkship 4, I'm not sure about the upgrade.

I saw the NERO 3D-2 at Cedia this year and was very impressed by its brightness. Black levels were ok, but not better than my Marantz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 /forum/post/21215955

4 people just got this projector on this forum new? Hope they don't go all out of stock.

At such a cheap price, can you blame them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westex /forum/post/21199718

Wow, this is a great projector. Image is sharp as a razor, bright, and has very good contrast. A major upgrade from my Infocus 777/Kodak 333. Have not tried the 3D yet, just not that interested in 3D really. Avscience is a great company to do business with. I'm no expert and have not seen a lot of different projectors, but I can not imagine anything better than Sim2.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 /forum/post/21215955

4 people just got this projector on this forum new? Hope they don't go all out of stock.

Now come on that is a bit of an exaggeration. Only 3 are new

But I agree. Lets get some pictures in this thread.

This projector seems to have everything I need and may finally be a worthy successor finally to my Marantz VP-15S1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton /forum/post/21244952

So this projector is basically a 1 chip Lumis. Similar brightness and contrast ratio. Has anyone compared one to a Lumis?

I have to Lumis 3-D Solo. Due to use of single chip, it is actually a bit sharper. But also less bright. It also has a hit of strobing (rainbows) on test patterns and such.

I could have guessed it would be a bit sharper. Except for the rainbows(which you have only seen with test patterns) and brightness, are the projectors similar looking?

If you adjusted for brightness could you easily see a difference in the projectors watching movies?

Sharpness as classically defined should vary between a one chip and a thre chip, everything else held the same However, a single chip has nothing to converge while a three chipper must have two chips converged to a third. Since perfect convergence can never be obtained and non mechanical methods of converging on a sub pixel basis do rob resolution and sharpness, if you don't use such measures sharpness will be the same but misconvergence may be noticeable depending on viewing distance in relation to image size.

My Nero is installed! I am totally blown away and its not calibrated yet. Calibration should be later this week. I'll try to post some screen shots once calibrated. Like I said, I am totally blown away so far by both 2D and 3D material.

My Nero is installed and ISF calibrated. I have a dedicated theater with total light control and a 103" screen. So far, I am really impressed with this projector. Both 2D and 3D content are stunning to view. I would take some screen shots but I don't want my photography skills to give the wrong impression of this product. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on taking effective projector screen shots? Do i need a tripod? I am happy to answer any questions people may have... I'm in Southern California if anyone wants to see the Nero in action. PM me.

Congrats and completely understand about the screen shots. I have a 8 year old 4MP camera that takes bad pics in full light

I am still clinging to my 35mm for high quality... I will have to upgrade at some point.

A quick question did you go with a 103" to make sure to have plenty of light in 3D as I would imagine the 2D light output is very bright?

I went with the 103" diagonal screen in 16x9 because i wanted a motorized masking system. I don't know the dimension in 2.35 but it is about 10' wide and is the widest that would fit in my room. ...and yes, it is plenty bright in 16x9 even at the lowest lamp power setting.

BTW, i have a Sony NEX-5 camera which should be plenty good for a screen shot, but I'd still like some info on how to take the best screen shot possible in order to capture the performance of the projector. Thoughts?

Put the camera on a tripod and use a shutter cable or timer. Pause the movie and take a pic. I would leave the lens aperature open and shoot with a low ISO to keep the noise low. The auto setting on the camera will probably work fine. Screen shots won't tell too much but most like them anyway.

Can you compare the Nero to your Marantz. Cleaner picture, better black floor, shadow detail, separation artifacts, better color etc. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.