AVS Forum banner

Sim2 Nero 3D-2 in the house!!!

11K views 74 replies 27 participants last post by  d.j. 
#1 ·
Wow, this is a great projector. Image is sharp as a razor, bright, and has very good contrast. A major upgrade from my Infocus 777/Kodak 333. Have not tried the 3D yet, just not that interested in 3D really. Avscience is a great company to do business with. I'm no expert and have not seen a lot of different projectors, but I can not imagine anything better than Sim2.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westex /forum/post/0

Wow, this is a great projector. Image is sharp as a razor, bright, and has very good contrast. A major upgrade from my Infocus 777/Kodak 333. Have not tried the 3D yet, just not that interested in 3D really. Avscience is a great company to do business with. I'm no expert and have not seen a lot of different projectors, but I can not imagine anything better than Sim2.

I'll trade you my Sony VPL-VW95ES for it...

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/21199904

I'll trade you my Sony VPL-VW95ES for it...

I don't think you are going to get a reply.

Richard, I bet it takes a long time to wipe the grin off your face, every time you turn on your projector. Enjoy.

#7 ·
Great projector. Do you remember what it retails for?

I am sure you will have loads of fun with it. I am currious as to how many lumens it is calibrated.

Enjoy your new "toy."

#9 ·
Congrats. We have had our Nero for a few weeks now and are very pleased with its fidelity. Had a customer buy one already; I am hoping the other doesn't sell before my theater is completed so that I can use it for myself

It is extremely good on strobing (rainblow). I have only seen it slightly on test patterns and that has been it. And I am super sensitive to it.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler /forum/post/21200910

Great projector. Do you remember what it retails for?

I am sure you will have loads of fun with it. I am currious as to how many lumens it is calibrated.

Enjoy your new "toy."

Sim2 Nero 3D-1 $19,900 to $21,850 MSRP depending on lens choice.

Sim2 Nero 3D-2 $24,900 to $26,750 MSRP depending on lens choice.

#12 ·
Sim2 starts at much lower rates. Not much lower retail, but you can get them at lower rates.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/21203561

Are these color wheel based DLP?

Yes.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/21203561

Are these color wheel based DLP?

As was just noted, they are. We did a side-by-side against our JVC and the visual impact was amazing. Lots more light and sharper picture. It loses on absolute black level but the high brightness gives you subjectively the same if not better in most scenes. It does have more strobing than Nero so if you are ultra sensitive to that, it may not be the right choice.

The machine is also beautifully finished.

#20 ·
I've been a long time lurker on the forums. We completed new construction - which included a dedicated theater room - over a year ago. I've been reading the forums almost daily trying to decide on what to buy. Thanks for all the (often entertaining) help and advice...

I desired a larger AT screen (140-144 wide 16:9) - and needed enough light output. First row seating is about 10 ft, second row/primary seating 16 ft. I decided to go with the Sim2 Nero 3D2. I'm still deciding on a screen. I constructed a temporary screen from 2 x 4 framing using 8 ft x 12 ft material from Home Depot (forum rules prevent posting URLs for first 3 posts: Model # 633792 Store SKU # 633792). The temp screen is approx 140 wide 16:9. The material is stretched around the frame and stapled to the back side of the frame.

Total cost of temporary screen was less than $35, including lumber and corner bracesThere is a seam down the centerwith scattered splotches and color irregularities

I fired up the 3D2 and was amazed at the picture. I changed the setting for the lamp to the lowest (230W) for 2D and it is plenty bright. I don't know if the lamp setting remains the same for 3D or is separately adjustable. I'll check the next time I have a chance.

I plugged in the 3D emitter and tried on the 3D glasses. My 3D selection was limited to Green Lantern at that time. I've since added Tangled.

My family was amazed - as was I - with the 3D image. We didn't have any issues with 3D brightness. No flicker. No Rainbows. No ghosting. No visual fatigue or headaches. Like the OP, I initially was not interested in 3D, but I'm extremely pleased that I gave it a try.

I don't own any video measuring or calibration equipment, but to my eyes the out of the box settings were excellent. I lowered the lamp to the lowest setting (230W) and I did not notice much of a difference between 230/240/250/260/270/280 watt settings in 2D. I don't know calibrated lumen output, screen gain etc. But I like it a lot...

If it wasn't for the seam down the center of the screen, I would have a difficult time convincing the Controller to allocate funds for the real deal

mitt

#21 ·
I too just received a new Sim2 Nero 3D-2. It will be replacing my Marantz VP-15S1 projector. I have an ISCO anamorphic lens already and will be using it with the Nero. Install should happen in the next week or two. Until then, I am anxiously anticipating and reading all impressions I can find online. I have seen one demo at my dealer's showroom and was very impressed with 2D and blown away by the 3D images it produced. Prior to that demo I had little to no interest in 3D. I'll post my impressions once installed. Please keep the commentary flowing as it is great to read about other's impressions while i await my install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.