AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I always expect to see a premium price on SIM2 products but $30,000.00? Seriously... It looks like the same chassis with a 4K chip substituted.

So much for TI's statement, “We want to make 4K affordable in the marketplace".
Same chassis as what? There's more to UHD than just the chip. No doubt there will be plenty of "affordable" TI-chipped projectors from all the usual brands that specialize in bang-for-the-buck and build-to-a-price. It was entirely predictable that SIM2 would seek to develop a UHD projector with a higher level of performance. The Sony 5000 is $60K, so another way of looking at it is that the SIM2 4K projector is a bargain at half the price....a little less bright (4000 vs. 5000), but probably with the sharper image typical of DLP and with no degradation in contrast over time. The SIM2 will certainly be a better choice for anyone living near the ocean or in humid climates.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
I always expect to see a premium price on SIM2 products but $30,000.00? Seriously... It looks like the same chassis with a 4K chip substituted.

So much for TI's statement, “We want to make 4K affordable in the marketplace".
Here we go again.. :)

so the .67 pseudo 4K single chip for 30k? RBE? it will be quite bright with the 465 watt lamp. I don't seen any mention of HDR support. There is no way they can release this without some kind of HDR support at this price point.

I also think this should be 3 chip at this MSRP.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Same chassis as what? There's more to UHD than just the chip. No doubt there will be plenty of "affordable" TI-chipped projectors from all the usual brands that specialize in bang-for-the-buck and build-to-a-price. It was entirely predictable that SIM2 would seek to develop a UHD projector with a higher level of performance. The Sony 5000 is $60K, so another way of looking at it is that the SIM2 4K projector is a bargain at half the price....a little less bright (4000 vs. 5000), but probably with the sharper image typical of DLP and with no degradation in contrast over time. The SIM2 will certainly be a better choice for anyone living near the ocean or in humid climates.
Probably Delta. Time will tell, but looks remarkably similar in size and the cosmetics are more or less the same as the M and NERO 3 line.

Sorry, I didn't fall of the turnip truck yesterday. Yes, there is no doubt more to it than the DMD chip. But it's still a single chip DMD with a color wheel and a bulb. The optical path is not going to be remarkably different than what has already been done. Yes, there are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 chips but they are plug in commodities and TI does a lot of the heavy lifting for the DMD implementation. SIM2's HMI's have become off the shelf generic of late as well. I maybe wrong, but I just don't see a lot of extra design work to warrant the price.

I much prefer DLP over D-ILA and SXRD units and have been a SIM2 customer in the past. Sorry, I just don't see this unit generating a lot of sales at this price point for a single chip unit without HDR. Digital projectors are not the exotic animals they were 15 years ago and this one is missing some bells and whistles especially at the stated price.

It will be interesting to see what DPI does and at what price point.

·
Registered
19,496 Posts

so the .67 pseudo 4K single chip for 30k? RBE? it will be quite bright with the 465 watt lamp. I don't seen any mention of HDR support. There is no way they can release this without some kind of HDR support at this price point.

Hopefully it will be demo'd at Cedia. You would think HDR would be a no brainer with 4000 lumens.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I am invited to see this projector here in Manhattan on June 14th.
I have a friend going to that event, but I don't think there will be any 4K projectors. It's some sort of "lifestyle" ultra short throw projector that sprays the wall from below or above....conceptually like the Sony LSPX-W15...but smaller, less expensive, and 1080p.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a friend going to that event, but I don't think there will be any 4K projectors. It's some sort of "lifestyle" ultra short throw projector that sprays the wall from below or above....conceptually like the Sony LSPX-W15...but smaller, less expensive, and 1080p.
That is correct. The 4K is delayed

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

Agreed. $30k for a .67 4K DLP chip. Best of luck Sim2. How did the Nero 3 workout for you......

·
Registered
376 Posts
Agreed. $30k for a .67 4K DLP chip. Best of luck Sim2. How did the Nero 3 workout for you......
Agreed too, a similar high quality-high & high-lumen 1080p M-Vision-400 projector from DPI can be sourced for less than US$10K. The addition of a 4K chip, marginally improved lens and HDMI 2.0a board does not = $20,000 in added value.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It is highly unlikely that this will not include HDR10 by the time it comes to market. Preliminary tech sheets tend to be pretty spare, leaving room for additional "wow" features to be fleshed out in the fullness of time. From what I'm told, the Nero 3 LED has been one of their best selling projectors even though less costly LED projectors are readily available. Positioning the Nero 4 below the really costly 4K stuff, but above the plethora of "affordable" offerings may be the right move for them. The SIM2 "special sauce" seems to have worked well for them...as it once did for Runco.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts