AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the press release on the new HT200DM, the projector displays 16:9 using all the mirrors on the chip

horizontally with a resolution of 848 x 480. When displaying 4:3, it uses all the mirrors vertically at

800 x 600. Does anyone know if all this is part of a new TI chip, or is Sim2 manipulating an existing TI chip?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

all SVGA dlp-chips have a 848x600 resolution. SIM is only the first brand, that uses the 848 pixels for full NTSC resolution.

The speciality is that in 16:9 mode the DMD chip focuses only on active pixels, which makes an improvement in faster moving images.

Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Walter's post leaves one with the impression that SIM2 is using an existing TI chip in the new HT200 Dual Mode DLP projector. But the SIM2 reps at HE 2001 this weekend certainly clearly implied that Dual Mode has come about as a result of the development of a brand new TI chip.

I don't know who's correct. If I were wagering, I'd bet Walter is, but...perhaps they both are somehow!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The DMD-chip may be new, also the hardware/software to focuse on all 848 pixels must be new. It work together with the faster color wheel.

But all former dlp-chips have also the 848x600 resolution - TI planned the +48 pixels for full NTSC 16:9 mode making the first chips years ago. Because these chips were only used in data-projectors - not dedicated for HT - they don't use the last 48 pixels. Even the units with integrated 16:9 switch do without them.

Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Pete,

Unfortunately, no. The halo is still there from what I saw, if perhaps slightly diminished. There are other easy, if inelegant, fixes for this, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.