AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago when they come out with their NEW look I admit I was a bit turned off. Now, like newer automobiles, I'm starting to get used to it. They, of course, have also toned down their design.

What do you think?

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2Pdr_0013.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tryg,

Ugly or Pretty??? I guess it depends on how many beers you've had! :D

Seriously, everyone on the forum knows I'm a Sim fan, so you know where my vote went.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the question should be "Does it ever serve a projector company to make their cabinet pretty?"

Seleco went from a standard industrial look to a new name and image with SIM2
http://www.ajg-av.co.uk/large-sim2.jpg

Has it helped them sell projectors?

I know Vidikron changed their look by hiring Pininfarina to design their Helios and their Vision one and ....well you know where they are

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recordi...es/helios2.jpg
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recordi...es/vision1.jpg

I guess Nobody wanted a Farrari hanging fom their ceiling;)

They've since gone back to persuing FUNCTION rather than FORM

http://www.vidikron.com/images/prod_head_02.jpg

Didn't Ampro try to do something tricky with design too?

·
Registered
393 Posts
SIM2 cutting edge design and superior performance......YEAH BABY

I CONCURR:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
The new Vidikron has nothing to do with the old one. Runco have bought the 'name' a few months ago and now use it on OEM products from Taiwan.

However, the old Vidikron has a nice form but also a very nice function: The Vision One derived from an hi-end Electrohome CRT!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think their projectors look okay, but nothing like their rear projection sets they were showing at CEDIA. Those look like museum pieces to me and if they didn't cost so much I would probably buy one. I've heard people complain a lot about how much they cost, but I think SIM2 figured out what would really appeal to a lot of people aesthetically. I bet they sell extremely well, especially consider the prices.

I care less about how a projector looks, since it will usually be behind me.

--Darin

·
Registered
111 Posts
"The new Vidikron has nothing to do with the old one. Runco have bought the 'name' a few months ago and now use it on OEM products from Taiwan."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I think is funny is the fact that not only Runco's Vidikron is rather ugly, but it is also a cheap OEM from Taiwan.

Now, where is the reason to purchase a Vidikron today? Anybody?

I think that the Sim is different in its looks, you either like it or not, but as far as performance I don't think there is much to dislike.

To me Sim2 has been capable of doing something that looks terrific with a quality that is superior.

I guess Italians do it better. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
amen to that, Mick......same goes for my house

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HEAT
Mick,

You might need glasses!
Are you casting aspertiums about the misses? She's 8st sopping wet but if I tell her you said that ... TROUBLE :D

Mick

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
Maybe the question should be "Does it ever serve a projector company to make their cabinet pretty?"

Seleco went from a standard industrial look to a new name and image with SIM2

Has it helped them sell projectors?

I know Vidikron changed their look by hiring Pininfarina to design their Helios and their Vision one and ....well you know where they are

I guess Nobody wanted a Farrari hanging fom their ceiling;)

They've since gone back to persuing FUNCTION rather than FORM

Didn't Ampro try to do something tricky with design too?
Vidikron was a HORRIBLY run company IMO - you could call them a really bad RUNCO (and now as fate would have it the name is owned by Runco). I'm not sure their chassis designs had much to do with their fate.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
send us pictures! I'm trying to imagine a red projector in a real home theater.(not just ads)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I am tickled pink (or should it be gray) with my 300 Plus. I admit at first I was a bit taken back by its appearance, but I've come to realize that it's what's in the heart that counts for projectors just like with people! It has a wonderful "heart" as evidenced by the great picture I enjoy day in and day out. Regardless, I don't see the outside as I have it mounted in a sound proof box in the rear of my theater.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
shumi_9 & Stornn,

Thanks for your comments. A lot of hard work, but worth every once of sweat generated by the effort.

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.