AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure which forum to post this but I thought I would start with this one.
I have copied quite a large number ( more than a thousand) of vhs recordings to my DVD recorder, which is an old Panasonic DMR HS2 (brand new at the time) and I ran them through a Sima Copymaster, with the belief that the video would copy better. Was I misguided, as I found out much later that that device could remove copy protection from videos. All my videos were self-recorded, mostly clips of horse races broadcast OTA.
Was this procedure unnecessary, does the Sima actually enhance the video and improve the quality of the recording?
Anyone have any positive experience with this device? Or should I not bother in future?
Any advice would be appreciated.
John

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
IMO the only purpose of such a device is to remove CP, they all degrade the picture to some degree.
I made a similar mistake, I installed a converter on the line input of my DVDR and ran all my DVDs and VHS tapes through the converter before burning them to DVD, only later did I discover that my converter lightened the picture as well as very slightly softened the picture :( The vast majority of what I burnt to DVD wasn't CP so it was a complete waste. Now I only use such converters if my source is CP'd, otherwise I remove the filter.
I have several Simas and even a Grex, they all degrade the picture to a varying degree, some quite badly, some barely noticeable, but they all degrade the picture :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO the only purpose of such a device is to remove CP, they all degrade the picture to some degree.
I made a similar mistake, I installed a converter on the line input of my DVDR and ran all my DVDs and VHS tapes through the converter before burning them to DVD, only later did I discover that my converter lightened the picture as well as very slightly softened the picture :( The vast majority of what I burnt to DVD wasn't CP so it was a complete waste. Now I only use such converters if my source is CP'd, otherwise I remove the filter.
I have several Simas and even a Grex, they all degrade the picture to a varying degree, some quite badly, some barely noticeable, but they all degrade the picture :(
Thanks for the input.
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts