AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onkyo TX-NR709 has several volume-related technologies available. Here's a list of them and my feeble attempt at grouping them into categories:

Category 1: Dynamic range compression

- Dolby Volume (on/off) - "automatically adjusts the difference in volume levels which can occur between different contents or source components"

- Dolby Volume Leveler (off/low/mid/high) - "maintains the perceived loudness of all contents, coming from different channels or input sources."

- Audyssey Dynamic Volume (light/medium/heavy) - "This setting affects volume the most. It quiets the loud parts, such as explosions, and boosts the quiet parts so they can be heard"

Category 2: EQ modification at low volume levels

- Dolby Volume Half Mode (off/on) - "Dolby Volume applies a bass and treble attenuation to the audio when the system gain exceeds reference level."

- Audyssey Dynamic EQ (off/on) - "enjoy great sound even when listening at low volume levels"

- THX Loudness Plus volume control technology - "enjoy even subtle nuances of audio expression at low volume"

Category 3: Source level correction

- Onkyo IntelliVolume (set in 1 dB steps) - "set the input level for each input selector individually".

- Dolby Volume (on/off) - "automatically adjusts the difference in volume levels which can occur between different contents or source components"

Some of these modes are easier to understand than others, but overall my head is spinning. I have no idea how to best utilize them and whether it's a good idea to combine them or not. My solution for now is to turn them all off. Is there a better approach? Is there any point in using two similar modes at the same time?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous /forum/post/20856469

My Onkyo TX-NR709 has several volume-related technologies available. Here's a list of them and my feeble attempt at grouping them into categories:

Category 1: Dynamic range compression

- Dolby Volume Leveler (off/low/mid/high) - "maintains the perceived loudness of all contents, coming from different channels or input sources."

- Audyssey Dynamic Volume (light/medium/heavy) - "This setting affects volume the most. It quiets the loud parts, such as explosions, and boosts the quiet parts so they can be heard"

Category 2: EQ modification at low volume levels

- Dolby Volume Half Mode (off/on) - "Dolby Volume applies a bass and treble attenuation to the audio when the system gain exceeds reference level."

- Audyssey Dynamic EQ (off/on) - "enjoy great sound even when listening at low volume levels"

- THX Loudness Plus volume control technology - "enjoy even subtle nuances of audio expression at low volume"

Category 3: Source level correction

- Onkyo IntelliVolume (set in 1 dB steps) - "set the input level for each input selector individually".

Some of these modes are easier to understand than others, but overall my head is spinning. I have no idea how to best utilize them and whether it's a good idea to combine them or not. My solution for now is to turn them all off. Is there a better approach? Is there any point in using two similar modes at the same time?

I use the two items below on my rc270 receiver. they work great.

Jacob

Category 2: EQ modification at low volume level

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
My solution for now is to turn them all off. Is there a better approach?
These technologies all strive to remedy a huge problem with today's surround sound recordings -- movies today have a wide dynamic range that works well in a theater, but can be a huge headache at home, where no one listens at "reference levels".

Ever find yourself frequently adjusting volume during a film? These features are definitely worth learning about. I've been hearing recently (no pun intended) that Dolby Volume tends to outperform the Audyssey (Dynamic Volume/EQ) counterpart...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The intellivolume seems like a fancy name for input trim. It would just allow you to make sources louder or quiter to make setting more affective.

I would turn off any low volume/loudness related options for now.

There's probably a Dolby DRC, which I would turn off (so you can use the more sophisticated volume levelers like Dolby volume with no intereference from "legacy" Dolby compression.)

I think the main competing tech is Dolby volume vs Audyssey Dynamic. I would turn off any other compression settings, or low volume compensation features, and try each of those with the other turned off, to see which works best.

I don't own a receiver with all those new fangled settings, because I own a Yamaha, and they don't believe in using other people's technologies
So I can't be of much more help, sorry.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I personally feel DV is superior to Audyssey for low-level listening, but both are very good and I wouldn't buy a receiver without either of these options.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I plan to compare the options in each category to see if I can tell the difference and if one of them is useful. I probably won't attempt to combine multiple similar technologies as they're likely not designed to work together.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
the two items that I posted work fine together.

they are suppose to make it possible for you to listen to the movie or whatever at a certain level without bothering the neibors. works great so far.

Jacob

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20860984

the two items that I posted work fine together.

they are suppose to make it possible for you to listen to the movie or whatever at a certain level without bothering the neibors. works great so far.

They do? In my Onkyo, they can't be used together since they conflict with each other.

As I understand it, THX Loudness Plus can only be used in THX Listening Modes where you can also use Audyssey MultEQ but not Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume.

But, if I toggle Preserve THX Settings to No, I can use Audyssey Dynamic EQ (instead of THX Loudness Plus) and Audyssey Dynamic Volume in THX listening modes.

Personally, I use Audyssey Dynamc EQ för everything.

Except maybe for late evenings when I enable Audyssey Dynamic Volume Light (which in itself contains Audyssey Dynamc EQ).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20864849

I own the rc 270. it seem to work with the EQ and the thx loudness thing.

Jacob

This is from the manual for the HT-RC270 which seems identical in behavior to my Onkyo with re to this:

You can also set the THX Loudness Plus. When the “Loudness Plus” is set to “On”, it is possible to enjoy even subtle nuances of audio expression at low volume. This result is only available when the THX listening mode is selected

Preserve THX Settings
Yes:
Audyssey Dynamic EQ®/Audyssey Dynamic Volume® will not be active in THX listening mode.
No:
Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Audyssey Dynamic Volume will be active in THX listening mode depending on the setting [of Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Audyssey Dynamic Volume (added by me for clarification)]

Note
• This setting is fixed at “Yes” if “Loudness Plus” is set to “On”.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.