AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are looking at upgrading our current LG 50" plasma. we are looking to either purchase the:

- 54" Panasonic Viera in Best Buys ad for 1499.99

- 58" Samsung B550 for 1999.99

My local BestBuy does not have a display model for the 58. They had the Viera on display, which we really enjoyed. We went to Sears because I thought they had the B550 on display, although they did not...

They did have the B650 on display, which we really preferred over the Viera. However, the B650 was more than we want to spend. To my question:

How comparable is the B550 to the B650?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one knows the difference between the 5 and 6 series or how similar they will appear?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Samsungs website is really short on information, that's why it's hard to tell the difference between all there models. On the other hand Panasonic has a good amount of information for each model on their website. I'm "raising money" to upgrade my 42" plasma right now and am trying to decide between Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung and the lack of information on the Samsungs is all but taking them out of the running.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can't comment on the differences between the Samsung series, but I will echo what others consistently indicate here. Be careful with comparing displays in the store. The lighting conditions, settings, and source material can have a major impact. I'm surprised BB sells many panels at all considering the crappiness of the material that they are looping.

I'm curious. Why are you replacing your LG? Is it just an issue of size?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbee68 /forum/post/17012359

I can't comment on the differences between the Samsung series, but I will echo what others consistently indicate here. Be careful with comparing displays in the store. The lighting conditions, settings, and source material can have a major impact. I'm surprised BB sells many panels at all considering the crappiness of the material that they are looping.

I'm curious. Why are you replacing your LG? Is it just an issue of size?

Yes, it is just an issue of size and going to 1080p. Mostly for the size increase though. Our TV sits above a fireplace with tons of room. It is also fairly raised up from the ground, so a larger picture will be beneficial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts