AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I know this must have been asked elsewhere on the forum but I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm an AVR rookie but want to get in the game. Don't have a flat screen TV yet and that is not very important right now as we do not watch a lot of TV or play games etc. I do listen to a lot of stereo though and my old receiver is done. What I want to do is play music simultaneously in two rooms (always the same source). I have some simple Energy c-50 speakers which are both 100w/8 ohms (2 in each room).

My question is, what AVR features do I need to wire up these speakers and have the same music playing in both rooms at the same time? I will be getting a plasma TV in the new year so might as well get a good AVR that will handle it when it comes. So I'll want to set up one set of speakers as fronts on the AVR but I don't know what I would need to do/get to connect the other rooms speakers. The plan would be that when watching the TV, I would get regular 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround (when I buy the TV I'll also get more speakers), but in the meatime, I could just use the AVR for my 2 room audio. I do know about not using the 'B' channel at the same time and dropping impedance down to 4 ohms. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
93,248 Posts
AVRs generally offer an all channel stereo mode which sends the same stereo signal to the speaker pairs connected to the side and rear surround speaker posts as the main "A" speaker posts. So you could connect your second room speakers to the side surround posts. Another option would be to use the rear surround speaker posts as Zone 2 when that is an option of the AVR. Although this would limit you to only analog audio to the second room in that instance. Last year's Denon HDMI 1.3 1610 or 1910 models would work well for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JD,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is all channel stereo a feature listed in spec sheets of the various AVR manufacturers? When I checked a lot of them, I did not see that feature (it might be there but they might not listed on the online spec sheet I guess).

The bigger question, is that when I have my TV set up, all the surround channels will be used for speakers in the viewing room - so what (channel) would I set up the other room speakers to? If I got a 7.1 channel AVR, could I just use the rear subs as the other room channel and in effect only have 5.1 surround? I wouldn't want the TV audio signal playing in that room when watching TV...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
93,248 Posts
Not sure what other brands call it, but Denon used to call it 5CH/7CH Stereo until this year when it got changed to Multi Channel Stereo.

You would need an AVR that has a Zone 2 capability (either on board or via an external 2CH stereo amp) for when you have a full 5.1 setup w/HDTV. You could also connect the 2nd room speakers to Front "B" speaker posts if offered, although as you note, the impedance will likely drop if using both "A" and "B" at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi JD,

I'm guessing Zone 2 is the same as 'multi room capable' ? I would never have 2 different sources playing in the rooms - just the same stereo source, so not sure if that feature is what I need. If I use the center back speaker ports for the speakers in the other room, on an 'All Channel Stereo' setting, then that would work but I would then get the TV signal playing in that room as well when watching TV. Is there a way to turn off the center back speakers when watching TV?

Thanks,

Moonman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts