AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a the HD DVR with a SWM unit connection (I can see all the sats). I want to add an old D11 box this for a kids room. Is that possible? From my dish I have 2 cables. Only one of those plugs in to some kind of black box (power injector?) - the other is not used. Can I split that signal somewhere for the old receiver? No HD or extra sat signals needed. Just the basics...

adam

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went ahead and split (using sat signal splitter left by the installer that worked before the SWM config) after the power box thingy. On the D11 I show signals for each sat expect the 110. The main DVR still works fine. Any help appreciated....

adam

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you really have a SWM install then you should only have one cable from the dish to the power inserter. Then another cable should leave the power inserter and go straight into your HD DVR. Is that how it is currently set up? The second line shouldn't be hooked up to anything, it was probably just there from an old install and the tech was too lazy to remove it.

I'm fairly certain you won't be able to use the D11 box. I don't think it works with a SWM setup. You will most likely have to call D* and set up an appointment to add a new receiver to your account. I think the D15 is what you need. You also need to make sure that the splitter you are using is rated high enough (up to around 3 GHz). If it isn't rated high enough that will cause issues.

You might want to check out AVSForums sister site DBStalk.com. It has a lot of information on D* and E*.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can run a d11 on a swm system however you need to change the Lnb to a standard KaKu lnb and then insert a legacy switch to accomodate the D11. Legacy switches are about 150 bucks you also need to run four lines plus power from the lnb to the new legacy switch. If that sounds like a lot of work its because it is. The installer was not being lazy by not taking out your second line he is just not getting paid for it. besides it make sense to leave it there in case you need it some day. If the guy who made that comment likes to work for free, I have a fence that needs painting. Anyway your best option is to Get a d12 or put up an 18 inch dish. If you got upgraded then you may still have an 18 on your house. it is common practice to leave them if the customer has legacy equipment as it provides a cheaper option for the customer.

hope that helps

and in the pond

under the sky

my feeling sinks

as if standing on fishes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts