AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have recently downsized I still managed to carve out a decent spot for HT. It consists of the following:

MAIN SYSTEM

Klipsch Reference Series RF63 - Front, RC62 Center, RS 62 Surround

Outlaw LFM 1 Subwoofer

Speakercraft AIM8 Three - Back Surround (Ceiling)

Outlaw 950 Pre-pro

Adcom GFA 7607 Amplifier

Yamaha DVD C900 - CD Player

Oppo DV 970 - DVD and SACD Player

Squeezebox 3 playing .flac through LiTe DAC 60 LE 24 Bit Tube DAC

Panasonic DMR E85H DVD /HDD Recorder (SD)

DirecTV H20 100 HD Receiver

Mitsubishi WD52631 HD TV

Monster HTS 2600 mkII Power Center

Playstation 3 - Gaming, Blue Ray and dual boot capable with Linux partition

Oppo HM 31 HDMI 3.1 Switch

All controlled by a Harmony 880 and mounted on a Bello WU 2100 rack

There is also a Zone 2 and 3 system for outside deck and dining room:

ZONE 2

Audiosource Amp 200

Speakercraft AIM8 Three (Dining Room)

Speakrecraft WS 740 Deck Speakers

Sima SSW6HP dual source 6 speaker switch

Russound Outdoor Volume Control

and of course the cans for "quiet" listening!

Sennheisser HD 280 Cans

Koss PortaPro Cans

Now as simple as this setup is it costs well over $20K. Granted I have been building it over the years and it "aint nuttin fancy" but it is still a WOW! Up until 5 years ago I had a much larger area to play with. I made the best with what I have and I'm noy unhappy! You have to hear the DVD Audio and SACD to believe. The system is highly sensitive to seating but nonetheless awesome! I love the YDL 6 OS on the PS3. Internet like you've never seen!! Please comment everyone. I'll try to get some better photos up soon.

Mike C

Leeds Poin, NJ

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hello mconley1015.

Welcome to AVSForum.com/What's your System Configuration Thread.

I gotta tell ya, I love your setup. I have an affinity for a 3 rack setup.

And the fact that you are a Klipsch Reference Speaker owner is a bonus. The RF63 pkg, for those who are not in the KNOW
, is one of the most formidable speaker packages available.

I love the system configuration with all of the sources available at the touch of a remote. And I really like the Bello racks also.

Now with the multi-zone function, can you direct all sources of audio to Zone 2 and 3 or are the zones dedicated to a single source?

Very nice setup!

Regards.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Nice system indeed... Because the racks are open in the back wire management is a must... Not too bad now, but with such nice gear you gotta add the extra touch...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to ldgibson for the great complements. The remote zones can play anything wired to the Outlaw 950 through analog, thus the Lite DAC 60 LE tube DAC. For the most part I use the Squeezebox to play .flac in main and remote. In the summer I can hear Squeezebox on the deck and girlfrien can listen to any other source in the main listening area. A 3rd Zone can be played jumping off the Audiosource 2 channel amp. (This amp has been modded with new caps and a better quality bridge rectifier BTW)

I can easily fit behind the whole unit and move equipment around at will. I love the Bello!! It is sleek and solid with beveled glass and plenty of room to hide cables.

Time to watch Eagles vs Cards! I will visit everyones sites tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nice set up sir!

·
Registered
820 Posts
mconley1015,

Very nice setup, I like it! Those racks are very unique and look great. As with ddgtr, full wire management would add a nice touch, but honestly, it's not bad at all now. Just cleaning up those bundles of copper colored wires (speaker wire I'm assuming) behind the front speakers would get you 90% of the way there. The only thing I'd change would be to put the VCR on one of the side racks and move the center speaker up. But, I don't know if it's fits on the second shelf of your middle rack, or if that shelf is adjustable, so that may not be an option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Aaron! I guess I have been looking at mis-managed cables for so long I have grown immune to the sight of them...LOL. Unfortunately the Klipsch RC 62 will not fit on the shelf above. The VCR sits there and, although connected, has not seen any use in a while. (I did burn some homemovies to Panny DVD Hard Drive for archiving) The VCR serves more as a visual balance / anchor more than anything else. Sitting on top of that is the Oppo HDMI 3.1 switch and I thought it was too smalL to sit alone on the upper shelf. You are correct, as I check out the great systems on this site and get some ideas on where to go next I realize that cable mgt is important part of this process. Something I did not focus enough on previously but will now thanks to this forum and people like you who post thoughtful critiques.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The thing about exposed cables, which rarely shows in pictures, is that they tend to disappear when the room is dark and you're watching a movie.
Pictures tend to highlight them, especially if you need to use a flash. We've all seen much, much worse than what you have.

Bummer about the center speaker. It being unable to go higher, I understand and agree with your reasons for placement of the VCR and switch. About all you can do then it make sure the center speaker is angled up towards your ears, unless you want to go crazy and make a wall mount to place it above the TV.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I echo Aaron's comments above Mike. You have a very very nice setup both in terms of equipment itself and also the aesthetics. I love those Gallo equipment racks as well and how beautifully they merge with everything. How are the Klipsch speakers? I would also suggest tilting the center channel just a little bit upwards towards the seated ear height if you can and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thank you guys! The center speaker is pointing up and is adjustable. A friend pointed out to me last night that my photos did not really show what I am dealing with so I reshot and will repost soon. In addition, after seeing Aarons HTPC setup I realized that my PC is partially integrated into the system through the Squeezebox and the software it uses to play. I also went to the site where you (Aaron) got those hi-res prits of the HT logos and grabbed myself a couple - thanks!! Daman S I love the Klipsch speakers. They are somewhat unforgiving of bad recordings however, for example the "Aqualung" cd, a border bum cd (IMHO) sounds terrible on the Klipsch. Low res .mp3s dont do well either. But SACD, DD5.1, DVD Audio, 2 ch audio, is superior. I may have said before that I feel I have reached the tipping point of cost effectiveness, or bang for the buck with this setup. I really don't know if better anything will yield better results worth the additional $$. What I need to cincentrate on is cable mgt, decor, and lighting. I recently started a redecorate and will continue this spring. Thanks so much for the good words and advice!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you have any problems with reflections off the wood floors? My wife wants wood or laminate floors in our family room but I am concerned that it may pose a problem for audio.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 /forum/post/15664940

Do you have any problems with reflections off the wood floors? My wife wants wood or laminate floors in our family room but I am concerned that it may pose a problem for audio.

Thank you for checking out the system. The carpet on the floor took care of the reflections. I guess it depends on the size of your room. This room is 13 X 20 with a stuffed couch and recliner also. All hese factors help. Since this is my first house without carpeting I am pretty sure I would have noticed a major reflection problem. If you look around on this site you will see some of the setups incorporate treatments like decorative panels and precision speaker placement, all help with room accoustics. I am learning alot here believe me. BTW these are Pergo floors. In summary I don't think it is a major concern unless you have a very large room. Good luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts