AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I really mainly have recorded to my recorder's hard drive then to dvd-r discs after editing. So i don't know the simplest of things regarding recording directly to dvd-r.

If I record straight from tv to dvd-r, can ANY editing then be done? Can I still cut out commercials for instance, but it simply not free up space, but still make them not show up when playing? Can i still make chapter marks and navi marks after recording to them before finalizing or is it a 1 time thing where once you have finished recording, you can't alter the disc in any way?

I am recording almost all of the night court marathon this weekend and 1. it is already annoying that I am going to have the recorder operating almost 48 hours ina row and 2. It will be even more annoying if I have to go be near the tv all of that time. If I can worry about marking later, I could just go press record every 2 hours since I am just doing them in SP mode. I thought about doing even worse quality than that and doing 4 hours on a dvd.

thanks

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also can you even NAME a title after it is already recorded?

·
Registered
159 Posts
As far as I understand, what you write to a DVD-R (program, commercial) is there to stay. You can't edit using a DVD-R disk. Why don't you copy to the HDD and edit there and then dub to the DVD-R?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I normally do, but I dont have the space. I am recording about 48 hours worth of shows all at once. I am basically going to be forced to leave commercials in and just use a commercial skip or something. And if I cant edit titles either, I guess I wont get to have them named. Would be way too time consuming to try to imput titles for that many shows into the timer. I dont get a break with shows coming on back to back, so there would neevr be time to imput titles beforehand.

Guess I will just have to have them far from professionally done on this particular series. I figured I would have to do that as the drawback to getting almost 100 episodes of a series this quick. I really never planned on recording episodes until they had all of these on, so no matter how unprofessional it may be, it is better than if I dont get them at all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On mine (Toshiba XS34) you can only enter a disk title before it has been finalized.

Off the subject but a few days ago I had dubbed about an hour of program on sp to a DVD-R and forgot to finalize it before I ejected it. When I put it back in to finalize it, it said that the disk was empty. The empty portion was only an hour long. I could no longer see what I had previously recorded. No problem though, I still had the original on tape.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well if it does that to me, I am in trouble. Because I was going to need to take a disc out a few times and then record more on them later. So now I dont know if I should just not bother doing that or not. Some of these episodes are way otu of order so I was going to switch around discs a few times to get them closer to correct order without having to do a lot of work to do them perfectly.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know, if that is a common thing to lose data after ejecting a disc without finalizing, then I am just going to waste many discs andn not have any of these shows. Becuase there is now ay whatsoever I can finalize a disc in between recording almost 100 consecutive shows. Now I am starting to wonder if I am justw asting my time.

I am pretty sure I have ejected unfinalized ones before then finalized them later.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Panasonic Owners Manual DVD-R:

Re-Writable - NO

Edit - You can Erase, Enter Name & Change Thumbnail.

(Available space does not increase after erasing)

Play On Other Players - YES (After Finalizing the disc)

Recording Both Main & SAP Audio - NO (Only one is recorded)

Recording Broadcasts That Allow One Copy - NO

Recording 16:9 Aspect Picture - NO (The picture is recorded in 4:3 aspect)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm well if that all stands true on mine (which ia ssume it would), then it is pretty much saying I can cut things out, can take out before finalizing but just must finalize for it to work on players, can title them afterwards. Hopefully that all applies to what I am using/doing.

I really have no choice but to chance it or not record many episodes at all since I dont have enough space on the hard drive.

thanks

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
By "Erase" Panasonic means you can Only Erase A Program "Title"

You can't go back later & cut out commercials in a title on DVD-R discs this can only be done using DVD-Ram discs on Panny recorders.

Can you transfer the DVD-R discs later back to the HHD & then cut the commercials out & then dump them to DVD-R discs? I know your getting dubs but that's the only way I can think of doing it but maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i may end up doing that actually. Thi sis a PAIN already. It takes longer to stop a disc recording, let the info be copied, remove it, put in a new one, and let it initialize than i have time between shows becuase for some reason they stopped putitng commercials between the ends and beginnings of next ones, which is how it started in the morning!

Oh well. Not much I can do. Discs are cheap now in bulk so the worst case scenario is I would have to redo 25 discs again later. In fact if i cut commercials, i could lower it to 20 neew discs later on. The real issue now is I am pissing beginnings of some episodes. Losing about 30 secs of every fifth show. So I guess those I will have to redo later too if they are episodes I care much about having the beginning of.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Here is some more work for you :D If you don't want to miss the 30 seconds of the episodes maybe you can record the 1st minute or so of the episode on your VCR, if you still have one, & then when your dubbing the discs you could insert the missed beginning of the episode from the video tape. A pain & a lot of work but at least you will have "Complete Episodes." Remember they are broadcasting them this way on purpose just to make it hard for you to copy them :mad: Good Luck & Happy Recording & Dubbing :D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah exactly.

and if it were quicker to edit and name titles, then i would have enough room on my current 80 or 100, whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why are you going nuts? TVLand plans to air Night Court each evening at 11:30. You can calmly capture each episode at a normal pace.

And you probably should stock up on RAM discs. Those babies are like portable hard drives; you can always edit or erase them, or transfer their contents to a DVDR.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know they are, but I got so tired of spending sday after day worrying with episodes of other shows and I was thinkign for this one I would just throw together all of these and maybe a few later on which arent being shown now.

I am starting to wish I had justw aited, but oh well.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As for dvd-ram discs, I have a Pioneer, so it's just dvd-r and dvd-rw. I do have some -rw discs although some lately havent even worked in my dvd player! Plus I am as lazy with those as my hard drive and still have them mainly full. It's becuase I hate spending so long naming titles and unloading them. And cutting commericals. it is such a pain. Now these discs better last. As soon as one stops working, I am going to start whining that iw as dumb to buy a dvd recorder.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Life is too short, yada, yada,yada (I'm beginning to sound like Mike Dikta). Stop the aggravation, anxiety and frustration. Keep your sanity and buy them when they come out on commercial DVD's. Almost every TV program is being released on DVD. Do a Google for Night Court TV, etc and you may find which company produced them and if they have a web site you can contact them directly and ask if and when they are going to be released.

I gave up trying to dub my "LOST" epsiodes(because I lost some of the episodes) and will buy the first season when it comes out this September. It took my wife 2 years but she has all 7 seasons of Buffy(go figure). This way you won't be missing an episode.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The most important sries I do buy commerically. But getting my money's worth out of this for others. With night court, I did haf a few old tapes of it, but nevrer exactly planned on having them on dvd. Same with some other shows, so for those I just dont care how the quality ends up being too much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.