AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buyt the denon receiver.

I know that I am going to connect the audio output of my DVD player to the input of the recevier and have the sound output thru the speakers.

But i don't understand the purpose of the video reciever.

Will I be ever using it.

Since I belive the output tof the DVD player will directly go tot ht input of my projector.

What is th purpose of the video inputs and does anyone use the video receiver part so often as the audio receiver.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pho...20Back.jpg&c=2

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have more than one device using the same type of video connection such as a DVD player and a satellite receiver then you only need one set of wires going to the TV.

If they both used component or your reciever upconverts the video signal to component you would only need one set of cables going to the TV for everything you own and when you change audio inputs the video changes as well.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You will most likely need to run a video connection from the receiver to the TV for the on-screen-display. OSD is virtually required to setup receivers these days. But you can use a simple composite connection for that.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurali70
What is the purpose of the video inputs and does anyone use the video receiver part so often as the audio receiver.
This all depends on how you use your equipment. Personally, I don't run any of the video though the Denon receiver I have. The Mitsubishi RPTV I have has pretty decent sound, and sometimes I will just watch it without turning on the receiver.

Now, if everytime I decided to watch something I wanted or need the sound from the HT speakers, routing all the video through the receiver would be a really good idea, and would simplify the process.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
No video thru AVR...yet. Never tested it, but since my current receiver doesn't accept HDMI, assumed HDMI from DVD player straight to TV would be a better connection than component via the AVR. Using the receiver to switch audio & video would make for easy switching b/w inputs, but nothing a good universal remote or a little patience can't do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.