AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with my Subwoofer setup, (perpetually lol) and have found a setup that I quite enjoy - I'm using a pair of Anarchy 6.5" Tapped Horns, crossed over in stereo using a paradigm X-30. In addition, a Seaton Submersive fed from LFE channel.
the whole front end is run off a 5 channel amp. (LFR+2 TH subs)

The pair of Anarchy horns sit wide, and the SM sits in the middle. this really smooths out the bass, and actually adds some punch. Music I listen in "pure direct" mode, and its nice to have the stereo subs for this as well.

The bass setup in my receiver is set to "both". in my Marantz 8002, its the only way to get any appreciable bass out of the LFE channel.

So far I haven't really cranked the system set up this way, and worry about sub bass being sent to the Anarchy horns. I know that a 20Hz HPF is needed to protect these. What's the simplest (cheapest) way I can add this?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm just a newb, so take this with a grain of salt (but I just bought a pair, so I hope I'm right!):

I have seen "FMOD In-line crossovers," from PE, suggested in the past:

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-20-hz-high-pass-rca--266-246

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but since you hadn't yet received a reply....
Yep that's the cheapest and simplest way of doing that. If you want more customizability in the future with high pass steepness and exact frequency, as well as the ability to eq and other things, check out the minidsp. You'd be looking at about $100 for two inputs and four outs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
check out the minidsp. You'd be looking at about $100 for two inputs and four outs.
Ooo -- thanks for that! Newb = slipped my mind... and I've been thinking about picking up an iNuke-DSP, but minidsp + "nice older stereo amp I might have lying around" would be a cheaper way to get into playing around with that kind of configuration.

So, as a better answer to the original question, $25 gets you plug-and-go, but not a lot of control. $100 gets you a lot of control, but some learning to do, but there's plenty of info about it here at AVS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a mini DSP but don't have a PC close by that is always powered on to power it via USB. There is so much conflicting data regarding power supplies for it out there, what makes extra noise etc, it turns me right off of it.

Why it doesn't come with a power supply is beyond me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Behringer mic2200 is another option. Adjustable hpf down to 13hz (i think??) and very limited parametric eq. I found mine on craigslist for $25.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've got a mini DSP but don't have a PC close by that is always powered on to power it via USB. There is so much conflicting data regarding power supplies for it out there, what makes extra noise etc, it turns me right off of it.

Why it doesn't come with a power supply is beyond me.
I just bought a cheapo wall adapter based on what they say to use and have never had any weird noise or anything like that. I couldn't be happier with mine. If you already have one then it seems like a no brainer to just get a power thing and use it.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
And 99.99% percent of what you read about in audio is utter bunkum, told by non-electrically trained people.

The FMODS are crap as you need to know the source and load impedances to design an effective filter. A cheap passive filter can be found here. I'm building one of these soon, either this w/e or next for my BR system as bass from movies overloads my small monitors and wireless cans.

The MD is probably the best option for a sub due to EQ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts