AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading This thread for some time now and I have to say I get more confused every day. I simply want to find a way to store my standard DVD's on a Hard Drive and play them through the Asus CS5111 to my TV. I don't need DVR, Weather, or anything except simply playback of my movies. I'm looking for the simplest software to archive my movies and the simpliest front end to select which movie I want to play. In your opinion or experience what is the easiest way to rip,select, play DVD's. what is the best file format to rip to?

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
for your desires, I would suggest downloading a copy of DVDfab HD Decrypter to rip your DVDs, its freeware and the latest version can be found at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

I suggest just ripping them as complete Video_TS folders. To play the DVD in the folder just select the "Video_TS.ifo" file.

For playback, the most simple method is to download a copy of VLC and use it for playback by selecting the DVD you want to play through the regular "windows open" command. Its freeware and can be found at www.videolan.org

A little better usability would be to get a copy of Zoomplayer or Theatertek for playback. Either of those can be made to operate by remote. Zoomplayer requires directshow codecs for playback, theaterteek comes with them so it is ready to go.

If nothing else, just download a copy of both DVDfab HD Decrypter and VLC to play with DVD rips, its free and will give you an idea of what it is about.

-Suntan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I think I forgot to mention that I'm looking for an onscreen gui with cover art to select my movie from. What would be a good simple front end to use with Vista OS? DVDFAB is a great recommendation, Does this go get cover art or meta data automatically when you rip?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts