AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back my parents got some remote control (RF) switches. They were some really cheap/crappy ones, but they shall we say, like the concept?

So I was thinking I'd get them some good ones this year for Christmas. I was poking around and just about set on the something like Leviton's Vizia RF. I've got a couple Leviton IR dimmers in my HT and they're great.

Problem is, I'm concerned Zwave might be a bit to complicated. I'm really looking for some plug and play, so I don't have to reprogram it every time they get something new.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I'd look to the Lutron Spacer system - IR controllable, with scenes.

Read the Lutron Spacer manuals, or any manuals, before buying.

I stayed in a hotel last week that had Vizia dimmers. The build quality was pretty low, and 1 was stuck mechanically.

Skip X10.

How often would they get something new?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I found a deal on an Intermatic Zwave kit, controller and two plug in modules, so I ordered it and we'll see how it goes.

As far as the last two suggestions, I've got a set of Lutron IR dimmers in my HT that work great, but IR just isn't going to cut it for the way they use their current stuff (and personally I'm trying to justify the URC RF switches there). They way they use what they've got they've got a couple lamps and/or Christmas decorations, etc plugged into remote plug-in modules. These are of course buried behind furniture, or in adjacent rooms. They're really not looking for something IR-able, basically just a replacement for what they've got (which was really cheap/crappy) that doesn't work.

I'm not sure how often they'll add stuff, but if it works well I could see them adding more, and I want it to be relatively straightforward. Not trying to rewire the house or setup any HA or anything, basically just looking for control over some unswitched outlets.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Sorry, thought you wanted IR.

A lot easier to control IR with a 3rd party universal remote than RF/Z-Wave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts