AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need 1/8 of the things the Harmony remotes can do. I really just need a basic MCE remote... but, if it could turn on my pc, my tv, my receiver and control receiver volume... that would be awesome.

Apparently the old Microsoft A9O-00007 could do most of that? I think that's the model... maybe 1039? I think one was learning and one was not. Anything else... those aren't very easy to find.

·
Registered
113 Posts
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product

I purchased this one last year... best buy I ever made in relation to an htpc. Press a button, the htpc come on in mc... watch movies, tv, etc...

Does not control other things... I'm posting for you since some of the comments suggested how they used the receiver to program their harmony (I know you wanted to stay away from, those). Maybe a backwards post on my part.... maybe it will help.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at the AVS Gear remote... probably what I'll end up with if I can't find one with a few simple learning buttons.

The Gyration remote looks perfect... except maybe this part: This remote has limited functionality with Windows 7.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Gyration has a newer remote with LCD screen and keyboard combo for around $100. Looks pretty promising. I used to have an older gyration keyboard/mouse combo for my pc and it was pretty cool using the mouse. It's similar to a wii remote.

There isn't a simple MCE remote unfortunately. I use the dinovo Edge keyboard pretty large and pricey but works great for MCE and youtubing stuff. I bought a usb-uirt to have it setup to control my tv/reciever but never really set it up.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18227398

Gyration has a newer remote with LCD screen and keyboard combo for around $100. Looks pretty promising. I used to have an older gyration keyboard/mouse combo for my pc and it was pretty cool using the mouse. It's similar to a wii remote.

There isn't a simple MCE remote unfortunately. I use the dinovo Edge keyboard pretty large and pricey but works great for MCE and youtubing stuff. I bought a usb-uirt to have it setup to control my tv/reciever but never really set it up.

I saw the newer Gyration remote with the LCD screen... it looks nice, but I would like to spend a bit less if possible.

I was looking at the slightly older Gyration Media Center remote (candre23 posted a link). Is that the one you had? Did you ever try it in Windows 7? That's pretty much my only concern...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd still consider a cheaper Harmony. They are simple to use, one shot programming and everything just works, no jacking around with learning crap. I replaced my receiver and it took me about 10min to reprogram everything. I press one button, Watch TV, and it starts everything in sequence.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18227482

I saw the newer Gyration remote with the LCD screen... it looks nice, but I would like to spend a bit less if possible.

I was looking at the slightly older Gyration Media Center remote (candre23 posted a link). Is that the one you had? Did you ever try it in Windows 7? That's pretty much my only concern...

I am guessing the issue with W7 is the motion sensing part? The MCE buttons and learning functions of the remote should not be affected at all considering my XPMCE remote works just fine in 7MC...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even the cheapest Harmony remotes are more than I want to spend right now. I may just take a chance on the gyration one...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18229384

Even the cheapest Harmony remotes are more than I want to spend right now. I may just take a chance on the gyration one...

Wait for a sale on a refurb unit. Picked one up a few weeks ago for $60 shipped.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18227482

I have the remote and it works fine with windows 7. I am unsure on whats not suppose to work with it. One thing is it is better to keep the usb dongle in the open and not hidden behind the computer. A usb extension cable will work to keep it out in the open for better reception. I have no complaints on the motion.

The model with the screen is nice also for browsing your music while the tv is off in either Itunes or WMC. I have mine setup for WMC. I bought the Dell M2010 remote with dongle also.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/465/sany0025r.jpg

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2u /forum/post/18231163

I have the remote and it works fine with windows 7. I am unsure on whats not suppose to work with it. One thing is it is better to keep the usb dongle in the open and not hidden behind the computer. A usb extension cable will work to keep it out in the open for better reception. I have no complaints on the motion.

The model with the screen is nice also for browsing your music while the tv is off in either Itunes or WMC. I have mine setup for WMC. I bought the Dell M2010 remote with dongle also.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/465/sany0025r.jpg

Good to know... thanks! Are you able to program those top buttons to turn on/off your computer and other equipment like a receiver?

And what about the volume/mute? Are those programmable to the receiver? I read a few reviews that said they were... and some that said they couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18231377

Good to know... thanks! Are you able to program those top buttons to turn on/off your computer and other equipment like a receiver?

And what about the volume/mute? Are those programmable to the receiver? I read a few reviews that said they were... and some that said they couldn't figure it out.

I have the buttons that I need to turn everything on.

My computer case has a built in remote switch to turn it on.

This is my dell remote setup. I use the dell remote all the time.

example:

TV button selected + power turns on the tv

TV button selected + input switches tv to htpc input

TV button selected + # turns on receiver

TV button selected + * turns on the computers built in on and off switch.

TV button selected + up arrow is volume up on receiver

TV button selected + down arrow is volume down on receiver

All the stuff on the pc side of the remote works as is.

Such as play volume mute skip just like a mce remote.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For the heck of it I tried to program the non screen remote to my living room setup where I use the dell remote.

None of the codes listed online worked but the automatic code search found the codes to my tv and cable box. I just programmed a few buttons for my receiver.

Now keep in mind this is a MCE remote with features to control other devices. It is not a HT remote like the logitech. If total control of your whole system is what you want than maybe you should get a logitech or another brand. I hate for you to be disappointed or expect too much from this remote. My opinion for a MCE remote the dell is a better quality remote compared to the other Gyration remote.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts