AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first upgrade in 10 years and wow stuff changed alot and Im so lost I just bought a new tv a MITSUBISHI 73838 and need a sub and also what is the perpose of 2 subs and do I need that and how are they hooked up

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfatty78 /forum/post/19560469

this is my first upgrade in 10 years and wow stuff changed alot and Im so lost I just bought a new tv a MITSUBISHI 73838 and need a sub and also what is the perpose of 2 subs and do I need that and how are they hooked up

The primary purpose for two subs is to smooth out the response of the low end throughout the room, in order to minimize peaks and nulls in certain spots. It also provides a small boost in decibel output.

No, you do not need two (or more) subwoofers. I use duals in my dedicated theater for the smoother response, but I'm only using a single Rythmik F12SE in my family room. The rooms serve different purposes, and therefore different configurations meet those purposes better.

If you run dual subs, and your receiver/pre-pro only has a single sub-out, you would need to use a y-connector to split the signal to the two subs. This is not a problem, since the signal is a low-level signal, and the amplification for the subs is coming from within the subwoofer themselves (assuming of course you're using an active subwoofer, which most are nowadays).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You do want to have two of the same sub. It's not mandatory like it is for speakers. You want the same so they have the same frequency response. With different subs, one may roll off too high and leave the other to handle the lower bass frequencies by itself. If you are budget limited, I recommend buying one very good sub versus two lesser subs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts