AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,

I need the simplest answer , talk to me like I am a 4 year old .

Here is what I want to know , while I am still learning what you guys know and consider as 1+1 = 2 , I am finding it hard to understand . There are crazy stuff out there and you guys are using.

My question that I need an answer to is What do I need to get the stuff working.

I am thinking of buying a Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) I love sound the louder the better , why am I thinking of buying that one , cause it is 12 channel and what I understand from that is it can go up to 12 speakers easy am I right ?

I am thinking of buying Martin Logan speakers cause as I understand from what I have learned in the short time I've been investigating this the Denon not like my the conventional pick up and go home home theater we see it in the next electronics shops , It doesn't come with speakers and from my looking around the web , Martin Logan felt like the top in speakers , but considering they are no where near cheap , what would I need to cover all the 12 channels the Denon is giving me ? Start with stereo + a sub and go easy from there ? and what's the best if I want to make it ( 5.1 as a start ) buy 4 Summit speakers ( 2 front 2 rear ) or Fresco of Vignette for the rear , I really I am clueless here , and 1 central being stage or motif . and when I do buy or that I still have the rest of the 7 channels. I know my question seems to come from a clueless person .

Now consider I will be importing all of these , most likely , how do I set them all up , I need wiring , does the denon or Martin logan speakers come equipped with wires to connect , and does the wires work on one another ? For instance I know the conventional 5.1 speakers winres , + goes with + and - goes with - , simple not too shabby . how does it work on this system and speakers , is it a normal plug and play ? cause I see your pictures guys and you put this with the denon and that to amplify the sound and that and this , and it's waaaay beyond my level.

I know I made a long post that could have been shorter but I hope you understand my confusion,

Thank you,

PS. At the moment I am using a 6.2 Sony AVR not to shabby , not bad sound but I want to go beyond excellent.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I am trying to do sir , trying to learn more before spending that much , my room is not a theater , it's 7 x 5 meters that is . My needs are I want a system that will wow anyone who sits and watch a movie or play a video game etc. I have many sources for video/audio ,

· Registered
18,923 Posts
If you want simple, that Denon does not really fit the bill from what I know. It's one the most sophisticated and flexible receivers on the market.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hard are we talking ? now remember I can deal with thinking , I am no genius , but I can learn where does a wire go , it's just the fact that , I buy that Denon , I buy the martin logan speakers how smart do I have to be to set them all up to make them work ? what would I need ? I know most of you guys are really smart at these things , I tried reading your posts , but you guys are extremely technical you leave no way for a newb to comprehend all your other posts and threads

· Registered
2,156 Posts
In that size of room, you could probably go 7.1 or 2. But, seeing as you have no photos of the room, I would probably start with a nice 5.2 setup and go from there. And you will probably want to do some acoustical room effects to get the best sound.

You will need XLR cables x 5 or 7 depending if you are going 5.? or 7.?, to hook the Denon AVR to the 12 channel amp. I would not skimp on speaker cable, some nice 12ga should suffice, spend a few bucks for that, but nothing to outrageous.

I would then find at least two nice subs.

And you will probably want a nice power center/conditioner to run your electrical through.

Just off of the top of my head, others will chime in after the jealousy subsides. Enjoy your new system! Lucky bastard...
(a little American humor)

Mike

· Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16891736

If you want simple, that Denon does not really fit the bill from what I know. It's one the most sophisticated and flexible receivers on the market.

It can't be any more difficult then the 4308ci I own which is two steps down from what the op is looking at. It took me about an hour to get a handle on all of its workings. And the amp looks to be a step above plug and play, not much there to worry about. Spent more time hooking the 4308ci to my network then anything, and that was my network security, not the Denon.

To the OP, nothing to outrageous with what you want to do. This ain't rocket science.

Mike

· Registered
2,156 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to take a pic of the room and show it to you later just need to see where I miss placed the camera , I don't want to take a pic with my iphone.

Now I like to think that I understood what you said in your post , but allow me to get more clarification,

first I already have a 6.2 system ( Sony ) , so a 7.1 or .2 upgrade will not really satisfy my eagerness for an upgrade. Of course I still think that yes I should buy the denon and start with 7.1 or .2 and go from there ,

the part I didn't get is when you said , " to hook the Denon AVR to the 12 channel amp " what do you mean ? I have this general Idea , I buy the Denon AVR I hook up my stuff to it , using Optical or HDMI for audio , hook up the speakers ( now I need explanation to how I hook the speakers to the AVR ) , turn everything on , play with the AVR's settings for best sound. I know i sound again so simple .

But Please clarify

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and if ( once you answer my previous post ) I can hook the speakers to the AVR immediately using the 12ga cable , does those kind of cables work on any speakers I might get , let's say I get the martin logan and mix it up with B&W , would i run into any trouble ?

· Registered
22,124 Posts
first off, the unit you are talking about is a pre-pro, not an avr... which means you will also require a separate amp... otherwise, you will get no sound...

secondly, you don't need 12 speakers to get "loud"... what you have now (assuming you have what i think you have) should be able to create significant spl in your room... and if you have a 21X15 room, i'm not sure where you think you are going to put 12 speakers...

thirdly, well, i think you need to learn a lot more, and posting a thread like this one probably isn't the way to learn it... that being said, to each his own...

i personally think that your best bet, since you apparently have enough disposable income to do so, is to hire a a/v consultant/installer and have them take care of everything for you... purchase, install, everything...

that's assuming you aren't trolling...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no sir , I am not trolling , I am really trying to learn before I go buy stuff I can't use . and thank you for the insight , i didn't know the meaning of pre-amplifier describing that denon. and if you can give me some insight of amps you'll do me a favor .

hmm , now I do agree that I might not need the whole 12 speakers at the moment , but I also don't want to be changing the system I am buying when i move , would I be changing those anytime soon ? probably not . so I am considering if I move to a bigger place in the future , my stuff move with me .

maybe it is not the best way to learn , but your posts really help , all of you . i am already learning something new .

It's not about disposable income , or getting those things , it's more like I want to get these things and learn more about them in the process of getting/installing them.

Did not mean to trouble you with my post. but I have did a lot of searching around the web and it gets more and more complicated the more I read , this way , I think at least give me the information step by step till it gets complicated , and I can interact with you guys with Q & As.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I think you need to get a little more educated about this stuff. While its great to be able to spend money on this hobby it is not always "the more you spend the better it sounds." I think you would be surprised how little you have to invest to get that "wow" sound you claim you want. Like you admit, you just dont understand the dynamics of this.

You love sound "the louder the better"? You dont really need that much power to get to deafening levels. I think you are going to waste a lot of money on something you dont need or more likely something you did not need to invest in. What is loud? How many decibles? What is loud to one person may not be loud to another.

I am not sure what Sony AVR you have but its the speakers that will make all the difference, not the amps. If you double whatever power you have it will only go slightly louder.

Also, since you dont even know how to hook speakers up to a AVR I think as mentioned you should have some sort of professional assistance.

· Registered
2,281 Posts
ok, all of the modern prepros are complicated but the denon may be more than ost. the new arcam av888just came out and seems pretty incredible but the denon is nice too. arcams avr600 receiver looks pretty nice too and can be used as a prepro if the included 120wpc aren't enough. you can get cables at monoprice.com., blue jeans cable, cobalt cable--good cables for not too much money.

so to start, you will need a 5 amd a 2 ch or 7 channel amp, a prepro, and speakers. I love logans myself but if you really are looking for volume you might look elsewhere--they also require careful setiup. you might want to go with the b&w 800 series (802d's are popular) or something that uses cones instead of electrostat panels. the logans are a difficult load and volume is limited by the excursion limits of the panels--also are somewhat directional and anyting betwen you and them will affect the sound deleteriously.

so once you have your speakers, prepro, a source component (check out the oppo bdp83, the new denon universal which play everything), speakers, and an amp or two and a couple of subs (id go with jl audio if I were you) you will need connecting wires. all wires can be had from the aforementioned dealers. youll need at least an hdmi cable to connect the source to the prepro, a set of 5-7 xlr or rca cables to connect the prepro to the amp, a speaker wire for each speaker, and two male to male single stranded rca cables (sub cables) to go the subs (as with your sony). you will also need an hdmi cable to connect your display to if it is hdmi capable. its really that simple.

once you get everything in youll need to run the setup on the prepro after it is all connected. you should look into room treatments.

are you located in a place that you can audition some different speakers? This would be highly recommended as they will influence the osund as much or more than anything else and what you like is likely diferent from what others might like.

the cables will work with any speaker. are you planning to use a turntable as well?

· Registered
1,986 Posts
At your budget, hire a pro installer. There is a lot more to acoustics, than simply buying the right AVR and speakers.

You also may want to ask in the $20K + forum. Or look for a pro in your area there.

eta Martin Logans are inefficient speakers and will require a large amp(s). Pro level speakers would give you fuller sound.

· Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 /forum/post/16892454

I always love these out of nowhere, random threads started by brand new posters who seemingly know nothing about anything but yet have $50K to spend like its pocket change.

I think it's pretty cool, at least he came here to ask instead of his local Radio Shack.

Mike

· Registered
2,156 Posts
To the op, this is you Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A). It is cold a pre-pro, I said AVR because I thought it would make it easier to understand.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3922.asp

This unit, the AVP-A1HDCI(A) has no internal amplification, so you also need to purchase the amplifier, POA-A1HDCI, along with it to have a matching Denon system. No amplifier no sound. Here is the amplifier...

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3921.asp

These two units attach, to get sound, with the XLR cables I posted a few threads back.

Your speaker cables, which are universal, attach to the back of the POA-A1HDCI amplifier.

Your audio gear, like a DVD player and television set plug into the back of the AVR/Pre-Pro unit AVP-A1HDCI(A).

That is a pretty simple explanation of how this system works. But you need to purchase both units to get sound. If this is not what you were thinking, like you could get away with just the AVP-A1HDCI(A) to get sound, then maybe you should look at the Denon 5308ci(A) instead. No separate amp required, and or you can add one down the road if you choose.

Mike

· Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16893825

To the op, this is you Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A). It is cold a pre-pro, I said AVR because I thought it would make it easier to understand.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3922.asp

This unit, the AVP-A1HDCI(A) has no internal amplification, so you also need to purchase the amplifier, POA-A1HDCI, along with it to have a matching Denon system. No amplifier no sound. Here is the amplifier...

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3921.asp

These two units attach, to get sound, with the XLR cables I posted a few threads back.

Your speaker cables, which are universal, attach to the back of the POA-A1HDCI amplifier.

Your audio gear, like a DVD player and television set plug into the back of the AVR/Pre-Pro unit AVP-A1HDCI(A).

That is a pretty simple explanation of how this system works. But you need to purchase both units to get sound. If this is not what you were thinking, like you could get away with just the AVP-A1HDCI(A) to get sound, then maybe you should look at the Denon 5308ci(A) instead. No separate amp required, and or you can add one down the road if you choose.

Mike

This is a very clear answer to the question of hookup. But you may want to rethink the number of channels. Most source material is 5.1 or 7.1, and there is no great move to add more channels. And, even in a fairly large indoor space, adding more channels beyond 7.1 (or7.2) is not likely to get you that "wow" factor. So 7 channels with two subs sounds to me like a top configuration. From there, I'd start auditioning speakers. You will get more "bang" by putting the money into quality than numbers beyond the 7 channels. If your budget permits, there are some really astounding speakers out there, and you should be able to have a lot of fun listening to them.

Good luck,

Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.