AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Newbie here just wondering if there are any enthusiasts willing to share their recommendations.

I'm looking to set up a simple HDMI and RCA (though I'm fine with that being an adapter) compatible LED projector in a single room in my apartment (since I want to be able to turn this thing on and off freely). The room only has one window and it's pretty shaded outside since it's a basement window under a deck. I do not need any other features than longevity and the highest detail I could expect at this price point.

Since it's an apartment, I can't do a ceiling mount or paint the walls, so I will have to deal with the white walls and sitting this thing on a stand. However, the room is pretty dark at all times of the day, so I have that going for me. I have two options for where this would throw; about 80-90inches on a wall with a throw distance of about 15 feet, or aiming for 60+ inches on a longer wall with a throw distance of about seven feet.

I've attached a couple pictures of the walls. Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Hi all. Newbie here just wondering if there are any enthusiasts willing to share their recommendations.

I'm looking to set up a simple HDMI and RCA (though I'm fine with that being an adapter) compatible LED projector in a single room in my apartment (since I want to be able to turn this thing on and off freely). The room only has one window and it's pretty shaded outside since it's a basement window under a deck. I do not need any other features than longevity and the highest detail I could expect at this price point.

Since it's an apartment, I can't do a ceiling mount or paint the walls, so I will have to deal with the white walls and sitting this thing on a stand. However, the room is pretty dark at all times of the day, so I have that going for me. I have two options for where this would throw; about 80-90inches on a wall with a throw distance of about 15 feet, or aiming for 60+ inches on a longer wall with a throw distance of about seven feet.

I've attached a couple pictures of the walls. Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks :)
You aren't getting much light output from a LED projector, as has continually been the case for the last few years, especially at your budget.

This is the list I would pull from:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...jw=&pjh=&td=&is=&i=d&tr=&oop=1&sort=pop&sz=15

You may get some other options, but I would stick with major brands, or at least brands respected for decent LED technology.

Have you done research to determine that LED is actually appropriate for your setup? There are some traditional lamp based models which will last you YEARS (with typical use) without needing a single lamp replacement.

Read this recent review by example:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/viewsonic-pjd5555w-projector-review.htm

In low power mode, this model will push out about three times the light of the models in the list above. It will also run about 6-7 years before you need to replace the lamp if you watch it 3 hours a day, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lookup, Integrated. I'll check it out.

I only know the basic differences between lamp and LED, namely that LED doesn't seem to require warm-up and cooldown periods and that LEDs typically cannot be replaced. I don't like the inability to replace lamps, but I do like the idea of being able to simply turn the projector on and off whenever it's needed without damaging it, and my room is dark enough that I'm not sure if the brightness will matter all that much.

All I'm really looking for in that vein is a unit that can connect to HDMI at 720 or 1080p, is not known to have issues for a good period of time, and has a crisp non-ghosting picture for the price point, no need for 3D or other bells and whistles.

I also just realized that RCA and HDMI can't be simply converted with an adapter. Are there projectors that handle both, or will I typically have to choose between one or the other?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(For some reason, I can't edit my posts. I apologize for double posting.)

I've been looking at these two models, the LG Electronics PB63U and the Acer K132 (can't include links due to postcount). Considering my needs, or what you might know about either of these units, are they good choices?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
If you are a heavy gamer ignore this post. While it is outside your budget, you might want to consider the Epson HC2000 which is on sale (Amazon) until the 29th for $549. That gets you about a 6000 hour lamp, 1080p, $100 lamp replacement cost and it is bright enough "to deal with the white walls and sitting this thing on a stand". While it take a few seconds to come on, the lamp is instant off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are a heavy gamer ignore this post. While it is outside your budget, you might want to consider the Epson HC2000 which is on sale (Amazon) until the 29th for $549. That gets you about a 6000 hour lamp, 1080p, $100 lamp replacement cost and it is bright enough "to deal with the white walls and sitting this thing on a stand". While it take a few seconds to come on, the lamp is instant off.
Hey Steve, I do game - Why might this projector not be suitable for me?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Lag time. You have to switch the image from fine to fast and the image quality drops. Also LCD projectors are not the best for fast motion in this price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts