Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396991028

^^

This is the HDTV set i have my eyes on for a second(or den) HDTV since my other is a 27" 4:3 Samsung which does not accept 720p.

Now this set does accept 720p..and converts it, but i'm wondering how so?

I assumed it upconverted it to 1080i, but in the Xbox forums a couple people said it actually downscales it to 480p.

Now, the main reason why i'm looking for 720p is for the new consoles like the 360..which does upconvert 720p to 1080i if needed, but i just want the peace of mind that any 720p signal will be accepted and upconverted to 1080i..and not downscaled to 480p.

So if anyone has this HDTV or knows of if how it converts a 720p signal, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Philip

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipO38
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396991028

^^

This is the HDTV set i have my eyes on for a second(or den) HDTV since my other is a 27" 4:3 Samsung which does not accept 720p.

Now this set does accept 720p..and converts it, but i'm wondering how so?

I assumed it upconverted it to 1080i, but in the Xbox forums a couple people said it actually downscales it to 480p.

Now, the main reason why i'm looking for 720p is for the new consoles like the 360..which does upconvert 720p to 1080i if needed, but i just want the peace of mind that any 720p signal will be accepted and upconverted to 1080i..and not downscaled to 480p.

So if anyone has this HDTV or knows of if how it converts a 720p signal, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Philip

Yes, the TV will upconvert the 720p Signal to 1080i.. Don't listen to the majority of ppl on Xbox forums regarding anything HD.. Most don't know what they are talking about.. By the way, I have last yrs model that supports DVI instead of HDMI.. Had it for over a yr.. No problems..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Yes, the TV will upconvert the 720p Signal to 1080i.. Don't listen to the majority of ppl on Xbox forums regarding anything HD.. Most don't know what they are talking about.. By the way, I have last yrs model that supports DVI instead of HDMI.. Had it for over a yr.. No problems..
What they are saying is that according to the reps at Samsung, that it downconverts to 480p if it's a component hook up but upconverts if it's a DVI connection.

Since you have a simular model, does your HDTV upconvert 720p to 1080i via component?

And if so how can you tell it's not down converting to 480p instead?

Thanks for any info on this, it's driving me nuts with the difference in answers i'm getting.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
at 1080i, you will see flicker on certain items in the picture but it would have to be a 720p source not a upscaled 480i to 720p source

otherwise you would see some flciker on at 480p

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
This Samsung set clearly scales 720p input to 1080i. No question. Much earlier Samsung models did not accept 720p signals, but this one absolutely does and delivers 1080i to the screen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does this include the Samdung 30" slimfit?

I need a 720p mode for the Xbox 360 games and I'm really a "noob" to all of this.

But I don't want my signal to be "downscaled". All 360 games will be in 720p resolution, developers may opt to have a 1080i mode, but 720p is mandated by Microsoft that all games must be a "minimum" 720p.

Do all CRT's upscale if it says the maximum resolution is 1080i?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Since you have a simular model, does your HDTV upconvert 720p to 1080i via component? Yes.

And if so how can you tell it's not down converting to 480p instead? Cause 480p isn't a HD signal.. The Samsung supports 720p, & will upscale to 1080i.. Just turn on all 3 resolutions in your Xbox menu.

Thanks for any info on this, it's driving me nuts with the difference in answers i'm getting... Just listen to ppl in this forum, must of us, know what we are talking about..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXbox360
Does this include the Samdung 30" slimfit?

I need a 720p mode for the Xbox 360 games and I'm really a "noob" to all of this.

But I don't want my signal to be "downscaled". All 360 games will be in 720p resolution, developers may opt to have a 1080i mode, but 720p is mandated by Microsoft that all games must be a "minimum" 720p.

Do all CRT's upscale if it says the maximum resolution is 1080i?

Not all CRTS scale a 720p signal to 1080i.. Panasonic is a great IE of that.. But I read that the scaler in the 360 will scale to your TV's highest resolution, if thats the case, it doesn't matter if your set accepts a 720p signal or not..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.