AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to budget for an upgrade that will include a receiver with multi-room capabilities (Sony STR-DA5ES). I am not shooting for a full A/V distribution system, just an IR sensor in both the other rooms (the receiver supports two remote zones) running back to a mini-jacks on the back of the receiver.

What is the minimum I need to do this? Sony's web site is pretty useless in this regard, but to be fair, I can't find anything detailed on other manufacturers' sites, either. When I approach this from the home automation side of this, it's hard to separate out what is compatible and necessary for this task.

Thanks for the help,

--Mike

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Two ways to go here. Wireless, which basically converts IR to RF then back again. Most popular options are the Powermids from a variety of sources. Here's a link.

The other way is to do a hardwired system. Here's a link to an example.

Wireless is subject to poor reliability and can be impacted from things like Microwaves, cordless phones, etc. Hardwired is much more reliable, but requires that you run a wire from the receiver to the emmitter.

If you're just looking for a quick solution, perhaps you can give the wireless system a try and see if it works in your environment. If not, you can consider the hard wired system.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wireless won't work, or at least not well. I've got constant interference from an unknown source. I've tried this for distributing the signal from my DirecTiVo through the old cable coax system.

Since most of the receivers and pre/pros I'm looking at can take a mini-jack connection, I guess I'm looking for something where I'm not using a direct connection instead of a re-emitter to carry the signal. Is there a product that consists of a simple IR receiver running straight to a mini-phono plug? I guess the next step up would be an IR receiver that runs to a control block, and from there I can either plug in a direct connection or a stick on emitter, depending on what I want (just thought of controlling the source in addition to the receiver...).

I'll poke around at SmartHome, and probably send them an email. I'm willing to bet that I can do something like use a mini-to-mini cable in lieu of a mini-to-emitter cable to connect to the receiver.

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Llamas
Is there a product that consists of a simple IR receiver running straight to a mini-phono plug?
I don't think so. You will need some sort of connecting block to supply power to the IR receiver. Xantech carries an entire line of IR products. Here is an IR receiver w/ a simple connecting block. You should be able to use a mini-plug to mini-plug connecton instead of the IR emitter. I am doing this with a Channel Master IR system and Onkyo receiver. Xantech has systems that work with coax or a simple 3 wire connection to go from the remote IR receiver back to the equipment room. Worthington Distrubution has great prices on this stuff. Good luck.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.