AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lifetime Sirius subscription. You are allowed to transfer it three times. My first radio was a Sportster replay which died. I transferred the service to a Streamer Replay, which is basically the same radio. While it's still alive, I'm sure it will die eventually.

I'd like to find a radio that I can transfer the service to that is most likely to last for decades. Preferably one with good outputs (digital, optical, etc). A stand alone home radio or component radio would probably be best... or if I could transfer it to a Sonos type system where I won't have the "three time transfer limitation" I'd be fine.

I'm very flexible, I just want a radio that won't die, or at least has the least likely chance of dying. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had this problem.

My solution: Mini Tuner

Then I picked up a Denon S-52 and the home-kits for it and my home receiver which is XM-Ready.

I also have a Kenwood Adapter for my care which accepts the mini-tuner.

What I'm betting on:

- The Denon S-52 and my home stereo receiver (Onkyo) should last a good 10 years.

- My hoping to get a good number of years (hopefully a decade) out of my car which I installed the Kenwood receiver into.

- I also picked up a couple of refurb'd Samsung Nexus' so I can have portable (well, just recorded portable) XM. They use the XM Mini Tuner. I'm also figuring this gets me something I can toss into a rental car (with the car adapter) and, worse case, if my next car stereo won't accept the Kenwood XM module (that takes the mini-tuner) I can at least fall back on the Samsung Nexus.

Of course, the mini tuner could just crap out. I'm figuring that the tuner portion is the most stable bit of the electronics and that most of the time the displays, for example on the PNPs, would have crapped out first.

It's all just a guess, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I think we really see eye to eye on this. I'm not in any rush - I'm actually going to wait until the Streamer dies (might as well) so please post if you have any problems with the mini-tuner.

For portability and when I get a new car, I'll probably just go with an in-dash receiver and add the radio to my account. We do get a discount on that due to the lifetime subscription (which I think applies to all multiple radio accounts).

Hopefully those mini-tuners stick around for a while and become a reliable standard. I've never seen one before your post.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry to tell you: mini-tuners are on their way out. At this point you're unlikely to find them in a local store like Best Buy.

If you want to get one you can buy one (plus the needed accessories like the home dock, etc.) and then just store them until you're ready to move your subscription.

It kind of sucks because I thought the Mini Tuner was a great idea.

If you hold out you're going to be looking at using your lifetime with whatever PNP device comes along at the time you decide to switch. Right now that would give you a choice of XPress RCi or Onyx (or some refurbs you find online or something someone is selling on eBay).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if it's on the way out I'm not sure I'd want to use it - I'm looking for something that will be around for a while. I know it's tough with the way technology changes, but are you going to be able to plug that tuner into other components?

I guess I can just wait it out. Or really, I could just buy radios/subs at the discount rate and just never use the Streamer I moved it onto.

This "three time transfer" is BS in my opinion... they charge a 75 dollar transfer fee, that should be more than enough to keep them happy.

I guess I'll just keep waiting, but I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
If the company starts merging Sirius and XM, that is going to require new hardware. I doubt they're going to risk pissing off us lifetime subscribers unable to transfer subscriptions to the new hardware, so I'm sure at that time you'll be able to call customer service and get the $75 and 3-time limit waived.

I have a lifetime on an OEM Sirius radio in my car, and I doubt that's going to last forever. If a new format comes out, my OEM will be incompatible and SiriusXM will want to work with those customers or risk a huge backlash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts