AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research and have a basic question. Aside from image size, will I get the same quality of image (vibrant colors, and saturation) as a RPTV? Seems like all the talk centers on black levels, bulb issues, lenses, etc.

I'm thinking of the Infocus/NEC crop of DLP projectors with a viewing distance of 11 feet.

I posted a similar question last week and didn't get any responses. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

· Registered
3,042 Posts
Chris, you really need to answer a few questions before anyone can give you a meaningful reply. The short answer is yes, a good setup will kill any RPTV in existence (bias: I have a CRT front projector but I realize that is not for everyone). Digital projectors can also produce a very good image.

1. Do you have a dedicated room or will this room do double-duty as home theater/living room, etc.?

2. Do you have total control of ambient light? (Blackout shades or a basement room without windows, etc.)

3. What is your budget? (VERY important!) If it's limited are you willing to do this in stages?

4. Is this for DVD/HDTV watching mostly, or will you also be watching DSS and cable? (This can dictate whether you go with an external scaler or HTPC.)

Answering these basic questions will help others be able to give you more specific help.

Davef>

[This message has been edited by David F (edited 05-10-2001).]

· Registered
260 Posts
I've been bouncing around this question also, but I've decided(?) to go FP - eventually. My main factors are:

Don't need a tuner - digital cable box outputs composite video (ick - but...).

Don't need speakers/audio - use SS receiver.

Can't get huge 300lb box down the basement stairs!

What still bugs me is that RPTVs are cheaper, even with the stuff I don't need! It SEEMS POSSIBLE that prices will come down later this year, so I wait and scheme...

I borrowed a DLP (NEC LT81) from work and was pleasantly surprised at the image - just no shadow detail, so contrast range is VERY important (get 400:1 at least). One factor that I really liked is that (when proj on the wall) you get a good image from anywhere - with all RPTVs there is a limited horizontal AND vertical "sweet spot" for a clear view; they have lensatic screens to boost the CRT output. I think this far outweighs the "dark room" limitation. The NEC only had 800 lumen rating, but it seemed very bright; 1000+ would probably allow some room lighting for casual viewing. Most of the *cough*film enthusiasts*cough* here may be too extreme in their image/lighting requirements. Using my off-white painted (Behrs "Swiss Coffee") wall worked great - it's flat, smooth, and free. OF COURSE, AN EXPENSIVE SCREEN WILL IMPROVE YOUR IMAGE (did they hear that?)

Final advantage? Next time my wife wants to rearrange the viewing room, I could pick up the projector and move it myself! Try that with a 65" RPTV.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response David.

To answer your questions, yes, I will be using this in a dedicated room. Fortunately the room is naturally quite dark, even during the day. I've also painted it a deep kidney bean color which really sucks up the light. I'll be using this exclusively for DVD watching. No HDTV. I also don't have a HTPC, but am currently using a progressive scan Toshiba 5109. As far as budget -- I'm thinking around $3,000 max. I think this puts me in the Infocus 340 arena. To start, I will probably go with a DIY screen and upgrade later. Given these parameters, does it still sound like I will get a superior picture to RPTV?

Question about the Infocus 340 -- How does it do with anamorphic images? I've read some conflicting posts that state it can/can't dispay full resolution.

Thanks again

chris

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 05-10-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.