AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts for a couple hours and have not found a simple explanation of;

1) How does an HTPC make a better picture than a progressive DVD hooked up directly to a projector. I understand how a HTPC can improve an interlaced DVD. But if a DVD is recorded in 480p, how does a computer improve upon this?

2) What is "SDI"

I realize my statements reveal my ignorance, but this is how we learn.

Dan

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
#1 HTPC can make a better picture (if the the internal scaller in the projector sucks as in most business projectors) by presenting the image at projectors native resolution.

#2 Serial Digital Interface.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what you are saying is that the HTPC bypasses the projectors internal scaler and does a much better job?

Does an SDI mean you do not have a conversion to analog and thus less degradation of picture?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
#1 yes it can (some projectors appear to force their own scaller regardless of the input, and some of the newer projectors just plain have good scalers) . I own a NEC LT150 which is a business projector (not sold as a Home Projector) with a lousy scaler. The HTPC gives a great picture on DVD.

#2 I do not own one, but the idea is that you can have an external device, such as a DVD player with an SDI port connected to an HTPC, also with an SDI port. Eliminating the analog conversion and possibly modulation onto a carrier. Goal being 100% digital from player to display device.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JKaiser,

You answered my question perfectly. I have the nec lt 150 also. I am trying to figure out how to get the best picture at a reasonable cost. (i.e. I don't want to spend more than I spent on the actual projector) I am looking into the color wheel tweaks, etc by Ken et al. I am still not sure which way to go as far as scaler vs. HTPC. Computers and I don't get along too well. I think they sense my fear.

Dan

·
Registered
860 Posts
Another newbie question. I presume a scaler has two functions: 1) it acts as a line doubler, and 2) scales up to the native resolution of your display device. Correct me if I am wrong.

So the question is does the dscaler program act as a better line doubler than ones in progressive scan DVD players? If so, would that be another reason an HTPC would produce a better picture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.