AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is OT here, but I tried the HTPC forum twice and still don't have an answer.

Basically, I need to know If a Radeon Video card (9500 pro in my case) can output a dvi signal and a signal through the vga output at the same time. I'm trying to run My sharp 10k via dvi and my regular computer monitor via vga. Right now, when ever I connect my DVI-D cable to the card, the computer monitor goes blank. I have two days left to return the card (if it's defective) unless I'm doing something wrong, or the card just won't do this.

Tia for any advice, Mark

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Mark,

The Radeon dual output cards need to be set up in the ATI 'Control Panel' to enable output on both at the same time. I have a VE, not a 9500, but I think the application is the same. I use a DVI to VGA adapter for my situation, it going to my 15" monitor. The primary VGA out goes to my G11.

Take a look at the file and if need be email me for more info.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris..I'll take a look at mine tonight after work. I do remember though that only one monitor was showing up for me in that screen. My DVI output wasn't.

Mark

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had display issues on the VGA side when I configured both to be output at the same time - just did not look as good as when it was output by itself. YMMV

Probably already know this but You can use the ATI Control panel to assign hot keys such as CTRL-ALT-D for DVI and CTRL-ALT-V to VGA and then switch between them on the fly as needed.

Brian

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You can also set it to have a primary monitor and output the overlay to the second monitor....

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Cbander, for what it is worth, I am running a 9000Pro in the exact configuration you describe. DVI to my projector and at the same time VGA to a 17" monitor.

The scenario that CCLAY showed with the visual image was not the way I handled the dual monitors (but I am going to look at it), I do it by changing the DVI to be the primary monitor after the system has booted up, that way I can do system maintenance without having the PJ powered up.

Even with all of this in mind, if the PJ is powered on before I start up the PC it will display the image that the VGA attached CRT is getting.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Cbander, I don't know how good the picture is with the Radeon in this regard, but I have heard that the Matrox Parelhia(Spelling?) can do this beautifully.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
"I do remember though that only one monitor was showing up for me in that screen."

Yes, and in that panel, if you click on the little icon in the upper right side of the box, that output will be active. Once you get both your displays set, 'save as' and assign the hotkey.

"I do it by changing the DVI to be the primary monitor after the system has booted up, that way I can do system maintenance without having the PJ powered up."

I love that about the dual head cards. Al, if you shut down with the DVI being the primary, it'll boot up still in that mode, right? My VE card does. Same with having my G11 as the primary. If I shut down the PC without switching to either 'clone' or 'monitor primary'(DVI) mode(scheme), the system will fire up to only output the primary VGA of the card.

"I had display issues on the VGA side when I configured both to be output at the same time - just did not look as good as when it was output by itself."

Not sure about the newer Radeon cards, but the bandwidth frequency in MHz(if that is the correct terminology) is lower on the DVI port than it is on the VGA primary. If memory serves, the primary on my VE was near 200 and the secondary was around 160.

Personally, I've experimented with all scenarios and couldn't tell a difference.

Chris

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Tonight I'm going to do some expirimenting trying to hook up my PC to my Sharp 10000. I have a few questions in advance:

1) I'm using the ATI Radeon 32MB SDR card. Its about 2+ years old but does have a DVI port on the back. According to ATI its a DVI-I port. I installed the latest drivers and control panel today in preparation.

Interestingly in the "Displays" tab of the ATI Control Panel they have "Monitor", "TV" and "FPD". Monitor is obviously for the regular PC monitor. I think TV is for the S-Video port on this card.

I'm assuming that FPD stands for Flat Panel Display and what they really mean by this is DVI. Is that correct? I don't have it my pj hooked up yet so the FPD option is disabled. I assume that once I connect the pj the ATI control panel will sense it and enable me to click on it?

2) I do not have a 1280x720 resolution option. Is the solution to this as simple as installing PowerStrip and picking some predefined 1280x720 @ 60Hz setting. Or will I need to start entering all sorts of fancy timing and sync settings (hope not).

3) I will set the pj to input 5, with Digital RGB PC and Pixel by Pixel mode. Anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by lovingdvd
Tonight I'm going to do some expirimenting trying to hook up my PC to my Sharp 10000. I have a few questions in advance:

1) I'm using the ATI Radeon 32MB SDR card. Its about 2+ years old but does have a DVI port on the back. According to ATI its a DVI-I port. I installed the latest drivers and control panel today in preparation.

Interestingly in the "Displays" tab of the ATI Control Panel they have "Monitor", "TV" and "FPD". Monitor is obviously for the regular PC monitor. I think TV is for the S-Video port on this card.

I'm assuming that FPD stands for Flat Panel Display and what they really mean by this is DVI. Is that correct? I don't have it my pj hooked up yet so the FPD option is disabled. I assume that once I connect the pj the ATI control panel will sense it and enable me to click on it?

Correct, When the projector is recognized this button will become active.

2) I do not have a 1280x720 resolution option. Is the solution to this as simple as installing PowerStrip and picking some predefined 1280x720 @ 60Hz setting. Or will I need to start entering all sorts of fancy timing and sync settings (hope not).

This is exactly what I did, add the 1280x720 timing and associate it with the "secondary" DVI connected monitor, It will then also be available through the regular Window's GUI, ie. "display properties/settings" You may even find that with the proper driver installed th 1280x720 selection will automatically be there for the FPD

3) I will set the pj to input 5, with Digital RGB PC and Pixel by Pixel mode. Anything else I need to do?

The digital RGB PC sounds about right, not sure about the pixel by pixel mode though.

Thanks!
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CCLAY
"I do remember though that only one monitor was showing up for me in that screen."

Yes, and in that panel, if you click on the little icon in the upper right side of the box, that output will be active. Once you get both your displays set, 'save as' and assign the hotkey.

"I do it by changing the DVI to be the primary monitor after the system has booted up, that way I can do system maintenance without having the PJ powered up."

I love that about the dual head cards. Al, if you shut down with the DVI being the primary, it'll boot up still in that mode, right? My VE card does. Same with having my G11 as the primary. If I shut down the PC without switching to either 'clone' or 'monitor primary'(DVI) mode(scheme), the system will fire up to only output the primary VGA of the card.

Yes, CCLAY done as you say,the settings survive a reboot..

"I had display issues on the VGA side when I configured both to be output at the same time - just did not look as good as when it was output by itself."

When running DVI and VGA this should not be an issue, my card handles both at the same time, actually run it this way to view DVD's. The DVI is connected to the projector and the VGA connected to the 17" as the remote control panel...

Not sure about the newer Radeon cards, but the bandwidth frequency in MHz(if that is the correct terminology) is lower on the DVI port than it is on the VGA primary. If memory serves, the primary on my VE was near 200 and the secondary was around 160.

Actually, when using the DVI connection, a digital connection, bandwidth is not determined the same way, the TDMS transmitters have a 165Mhz bandwith which means that connection is capable of displaying over 1920x1080 at full colour depth. For an anolog connection the capabilities may be less on this connection

Personally, I've experimented with all scenarios and couldn't tell a difference.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm still a no go here. I've tried and tried..but no matter what I do, I do not get any picture to either the Sharp Proj, Or my crt monitor if I have both the dvi and vga cables plugged into the 9500. As soon as I pull out the dvi plug, the crt immediatly comes back on. The only way I seem to be able to get DVI working to the sharp is to, Set the primary out to 1280 x 720 and NOT have th vga cable connected. Then I get pixel to pixel output to the sharp. As soon as both cables are connected though, I get nothing to either one. Anymore advice anyone?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And just one more thing. In the "scheme" settings of the ati control panel, I have only 2 selections..."default single display" and "switch amongst displays". I take it the others one I've read about are all custom ones?

Just to reiterate..right now I have my projector pixel perfect 1280 x 720 and the "FPD" is selected in the control panel. All other monitors are "x'd out. If I connect my crt monitor to the vga output of the card, I loose all video to both devices so I can't get into the control panel to do anything. So I can activate each monitor by itself but never both, because video is blanked out to both when both cabled are connected. I'm usually pretty computer literate, but this one has me befuddled.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Cbander - Tonight I used my ATI Radeon 32MB SDR (2+ yrs old) to connect to the Sharp 10K via DVI. I had output going to my monitor and to the pj simultaneously without configuring or selecting any special option for that.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cbander
Yea, at this point, I'm thinking my card might be bad..to bad I'm past the point of returning it.
Wouldn't hurt to check with the place you bought it from - although no refund many will let you exchange it for the same item if its defective. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cbander
And just one more thing. In the "scheme" settings of the ati control panel, I have only 2 selections..."default single display" and "switch amongst displays". I take it the others one I've read about are all custom ones?

Just to reiterate..right now I have my projector pixel perfect 1280 x 720 and the "FPD" is selected in the control panel. All other monitors are "x'd out. If I connect my crt monitor to the vga output of the card, I loose all video to both devices so I can't get into the control panel to do anything. So I can activate each monitor by itself but never both, because video is blanked out to both when both cabled are connected. I'm usually pretty computer literate, but this one has me befuddled.
Mark, after reading the user guide and specifications for the 9500, your configuration is a valid one and should work, you have at least grounds for a replacement card.

Your comment above in the quote has me curious though, I have only 2 selections..."default single display" and "switch amongst displays". This would lead me to believe that the appropriate software from ATI is not installed to enable both monitors to be seen at the same time. You should even be able to hook up a TV to the S-Video connection, it would be interesting to note if this display would then be accessible on the "ATI Displays Tab"

Did you install all of the necessary software, I know you mentioned seeing the available selections but they are all "x'ed"out... Did you install ATI's "HydraVision"?

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
I have my machine set up to do 1280x720 @ 60 Hz.

When using a software based DVD player (Raviscent) and and my PC (as a HTPC) connected through my DVI port - what singal type is actually going to the projector? In other words is this 480p or 720p or 480i, etc?

Assuming this is 720p, what is actually doing the scaling from the DVDs resolution to 1280x720? Is that Powerstrip, the software DVD player, or the ATI software?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
I have my machine set up to do 1280x720 @ 60 Hz.

When using a software based DVD player (Raviscent) and and my PC (as a HTPC) connected through my DVI port - what singal type is actually going to the projector? In other words is this 480p or 720p or 480i, etc?

Assuming this is 720p, what is actually doing the scaling from the DVDs resolution to 1280x720? Is that Powerstrip, the software DVD player, or the ATI software?
The ATI DVI connection will be sending a 720p signal to the projector.

AKAIK, to my knowledge interlaced signals are not available from the DVI connection from an ATI card , only from the VGA ouput.

As for the scaling, I beleive that it is the display adapter, in this case the ATI card.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Al, I'm not even sure what "hydravision" is. I have only installed the catalyst 3.2 drivers and the ati control panel. Hydravision huh? Guess I better see what that is.

Thanks, Mark

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.