AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup: The new house is framed and electrical is started, so I'm a couple of weeks away from running my house audio wiring. I'm going with the CAV6, Uno-S2 keypads and the Russound Sirius tuner. Two Cat6 to each pad for future needs. All equipment will be under the stairs in the basement.

Here are my simple questions, just to make sure I got it right in my head:

1. Will I need to run some kind of antenna wire with line of sight to the sky for the Sirius tuner? (Have not bought the equipment yet. I'm just thinking of the limitations for my Sirius car tuner.)

2. Do the S2 keypads control the CAV6 power? Or will I have to trot down to the basement and physically turn it on every time? Obviously this answer could change my placement and thus all my wiring runs.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi Ken,

Yes, you'll need to get wiring for your antenna from the ST2 tuner location to the antenna location. The optimum antenna position will be determined by your geographic location.

I have good luck using this inexpensive Terk antenna for exterior mounting and also for mounting in attic areas. As long as the roofing material doesn't interfere with reception, this is a good alternative to outdoor or window placement:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4222&langId=-1

Most Sirius/XM antennas can be purchased with extensions and in many cases RG6 with the proper adapters can be used to extend the antenna... Choose an antenna and then check with the manufacturer to see what will work.

The power switch on the CAV6.6 is designed to remain on all the time and the zone power is controlled from the UNO keypads. Each UNO keypad can turn on/off it's own zone or issue an All Off or All On to every zone. The CAV6.6 never really goes to sleep (to accomodate paging, etc.) so consumes around 30w even when all the zones are off.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. Those were exactly the answers I was looking for. I'm almost thawed out from designating my speaker locations this morning, so tomorrow I'll brave the weather once again and start on this stuff.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
One thing you might consider doing also. Remember that the CAV controller is designed to distribute Composite video. By running a single Cat5e from the controller location to each display location, along with the coax required by the CAV, it leaves doors open for HD if you should wish to do so in the future. I believe that is all that the Russounds VM1 requires.

Hopefully Paul can confirm if I understand it correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts