AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. While fretting on what aspect screen to get it occured to me that I should just figure out how wide of a 16:9 picture I want and get a screen that is that wide but 4:3 format so I won't be losing any capabilities for either ratio, then it's just a matter of masking. Is that accurate? According to projectorcentral if I buy a 116 x 87" wide screen that would give me an image 116 x 66 in 16:9 or full 116 x 87 in 4:3. The only problem would be the 10.5 inches of unused screen at top and bottom which could be masked. Does that sound reasonable? That way I don't lose my picture size for 16:9 and for 4:3, well, that's a massive picture :) I guess the issue becomes finding a PJ that can handle that order adequately eh?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The real question is what are you planning on watching. If all you will ever watch is dvds and HD, then there is no point to getting a 4x3 screen. On the other hand, if you plan on watching alot of 4x3 material and have a 4x3 projector then I would go with a 4x3 screen. If its a 16x9 then you got to decide if you want a big 16x9 and a small 4x3 image inside it or you want a huge 4x3 image and you wont mind bars while watching 16x9

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went 4:3 because I do watch a lot of older movies and such. Even though my screen is only 64x48 4:3 material looks HUGE!

I read the same article about aspect ratios, and agree with it. However, 116x87 is going to be enormous for 4:3 material.

No matter how you go you'll want to be able to mask--so I'd plan on that from the start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.