AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New to the forum, and new to the HT world in general. Just got a PS3 for xmas, and with that and an HD DVR and 55 inch rear projection HDTV, its time for the home theatre system.

I've been reading a bunch on here, and to be honest, most of it is way over my head and way out of my price range. I'm looking for a simple 2-tower and center speaker setup with a decent receiver. I need 2 HDMI inputs (to run the DVR and PS3) and am hoping to spend about 500-600 bucks, if thats even possible.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have, and jsut wanted to say this is a great forum and i can certainly see myself learning a lot from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As far as budget speakers goes, the Infinity Primus 362 is a great buy for $120/each. Hard to say no to those prices. Maybe the Polk Monitor at Newegg as well. Fluance or Polk R50 are pretty cheap too but I would definately pick the Infinity over them.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
In your price range, this is the best i can come up with

two of these $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290110

One of these $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290111

And this $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120064

Total is $610.00 with free shipping. It's about the best 3.0 setup i can think of for the price if front speaker speakers must be towers.

Not a big fan of polk speakers but at that price they can't be beat.

Better hurry though, they'll sell out fast at that price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15414758

Total is $610.00 with free shipping. It's about the best 3.0 setup i can think of for the price if front speaker speakers must be towers.

Not a big fan of polk speakers but at that price they can't be beat.

Better hurry though, they'll sell out fast at that price.

The fronts dont neceassarily HAVE to be towers, i just thought that the towers would give a better range than smaller speakers... like i said, total newbie to this stuff! If you had any other suggestions besides towers, i'm all ears. But because of my living room's funky setup, i wouldn't be able to really mount any front speakers on the walls... i would want stands if they were smaller speakers. I don't think i would want like bookshelf size speakers just sitting on the floor.

Also, a buddy suggested the Denon 1609 as a good entry level receiver... any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Since you won't be purchasing a sub now, the better bass extension of towers will go along way towards filling the LF gap..so towers is a good choice in your configuration.

The Denon HDMI is video pass through only. You won't be able to take advantage of the newest HD audio codecs that the PS3 can output via HDMI. In other words, not worth the savings over the Onkyo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mayhem. I tried adding the Onkyo to my cart on newegg and its on back order... crutchfield has it in stock for $399 so i might have to go that route.

Any other speaker suggestions out there? The maple finish on the polks would look a lil weird considering everything else i have is all black.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by surma884 /forum/post/15416150

Check out Denon AVR-888 there too. The AVR-888 does audio over HDMI, so your PS3 LPCM output will be handled by the AVR-888.

I think that one might be a lil bit out of my price range... it looks like the onkyo 606 is more within my budget and can run video/audio through one HDMI cable. Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
554 Posts
At systems in this price range, and looking for HDMI audio, the Onkyo 605 from accessories4less (refurb) for $250 is ridiculously hard to beat.

Polk monitor series, Infinity primus or beta series, Fluance and The Speaker Company are some of the common speaker recommendations in this price range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickrand /forum/post/15416548

At systems in this price range, and looking for HDMI audio, the Onkyo 605 from accessories4less (refurb) for $250 is ridiculously hard to beat.

Polk monitor series, Infinity primus or beta series, Fluance and The Speaker Company are some of the common speaker recommendations in this price range.

Wow, that is an incredible price... is there much of a difference between the 605 and the 606?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's a possible combo:

head over to the Polk Audio store on eBay ( http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct ). You can get some Monitor 50 speakers for about $180 - $200 shipped, and a CS1 center for less than $100, shipped. 6ave.com has the Denon 1908 for $300. The Onkyo 606 can be a good deal, and you can often find a good price on the Yamaha 663 as well.

Mayhem13's speaker suggestion from Newegg would also be a great way to go. You might be able to save a few bucks ordering from the Polk eBay store (that's where I got my Monitor 50 speakers), but the more I look at the deal from Newegg, the better that looks. The Denon from 6ave.com, though, could be a great fit for your budget. That's last year's model, so they're at blow-out prices and might not last long. But, at less than $300 shipped, its a great choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by surma884

Check out Denon AVR-888 there too. The AVR-888 does audio over HDMI, so your PS3 LPCM output will be handled by the AVR-888.

I think that one might be a lil bit out of my price range... it looks like the onkyo 606 is more within my budget and can run video/audio through one HDMI cable. Thanks for the suggestion though! Quote

Hello all,

First post & don't mean to step on any toes, but how can a Onk 606 be considered, but Den 888 be to much. 1 is $399 the other is $349, so where is the 606 found for less?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/15415258

Check out amazon for onkyo receiver

Amazon has great deals I would look for everything there not just an onkyo receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcarman /forum/post/15416468

I think that one might be a lil bit out of my price range... it looks like the onkyo 606 is more within my budget and can run video/audio through one HDMI cable. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester43 /forum/post/15417223

Amazon has great deals I would look for everything there not just an onkyo receiver.

Hadn't been able to beat Amazon on much of anything for a while now. New sign ups get free Prime shipping for 30 days, not bad if you have a good list & don't forget to check your speakers there as well, blows ebay out of the water, seriously

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk1212k /forum/post/15417252

Hadn't been able to beat Amazon on much of anything for a while now. New sign ups get free Prime shipping for 30 days, not bad if you have a good list & don't forget to check your speakers there as well, blows ebay out of the water, seriously

Amazon has the 888 for $460 and its a refurb. again, where are you seeing it cheaper than the onkyo 606?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.