AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
I think you are missing some options :)


HTPC -> analog PreAmp -> Poweramp

HTPC -> Poweramp


What does "HTPC -> Displacy Device (RPTV etc.)" mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Esben,


Can I ask what exactly is a Poweramp? Oh, and that last option was just using the speakers inside the TV without any external speakers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
I think you are missing some options :)


HTPC -> analog PreAmp -> Poweramp

HTPC -> Poweramp


What does "HTPC -> Displacy Device (RPTV etc.)" mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Okay I understand now.


A poweramp is the amp that amplifies the signal so it is powerfull enough to drive a loudspeaker. Usually the only buttons on a poweramp is the On/Off button. It increases the signal strenght by some factor.


To regulate the loudness of the speakers the signal before the poweramp is turned down. This is usually done in a preamp, which is also responsible for switching between multiple sources and in some cases can also adjust bass/treble.


What is usually called an (integrated) amp is a combination of a poweramp and a preamp in 1 enclosure.


Powered speakers are also most often a power amplifier and a speaker in one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,034 Posts
A/V, integrated, whaever you want to call it...Works well.


My HTPC drives a Harman Kardon receiver and a set of klipsch RF3 speakers.

Quite nice...


If you're going to do it, do It right and get the best in your budget. No aiwa, technics, JVC or even pioneer or sony... Go HK or Denon or similar high current receivers and the best speakers you can afford. Don't think that because it's a computer it won't benefit from the best audio hardware you can connect it to, it certainly can.


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Computer S/PDIF -> external Dolby processor -> 2 stereo power amps -> 4 speakers. RPTV built-in speakers are cabled as mono center channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
HTPC digital audio --> Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver --> speakers


Speakers are:

Front: Klipsch Cornwall

Center: Klipsch KLF C7 (looking for an Academy)

Surround: Klipsch Heresys


HTPC video --> Mitsubishi WS55819 component input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
What advantages power speakers have over the HTPC -> Amp -> Speakers solution?
Very basic: You dno't have to reserve space for a poweramp, since it's in the speakers. When speakers don't get signal they turn off. Only cables needed to the speaker is power and signal. In my HTPC setup everyone thinks my DIGN case is the receiver or they wonder where I hide the amplifiers.

Advanced: Power amps can be tuned to fit exactly for speakers. Bi- and tri-amping is no problem any longer. Since the signal arrives at low level (not amplified) it can crossed over to fit each driver, which can have it's own amplifier.

E.g. in my speakers the signal gets split inside the speaker and then an amp takes care of each part of the signal. Midrange and tweeter each has a 180W amp whle the bass has a 600W amp.

Since you have the signal at low level you can perform all kinds of very precise adjustments not possible with an amplified signal, such as an immense boost in deep bass and phase adjustment.

The dimensions of the speaker is 90x25x30 CM, and it still plays all the way to 20 Hz -3 dB. If you ask someone who builds speakers, that's not an easy accomplishment.

But that's what all the amp power is for :D


There's more information at www.teknico.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Interesting, but I’m still a little confused, you have a master volume for each speakers?


Witch kind of players can you use with those kind of speakers?


What about the disadvantages? Prices or I don’t know?


I read this: AL 302 – 110db sensibility, is that true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
The master volume is in the Delta 410 sound card. IOW, in my computer. Any preamplifier can be used just as well, and some CD players also have variable output levels and can thus be connected directly to the speakers. Some people of course prefer the ability to switch sources which is possible with a preamp.


With players do you mean Winamp, WinDVD, PowerDVD etc? All audio output from the computer can/is used with them.


The disadvantage of the speaker is high power requirements and usage and limited maximum SPL.

The price per speakers (including amp) including danish VAT (25 %) is with current $->DKR exchange rate $2000.


The 110 dB sensitivity means that when you input a 1V signal into the amps of the speakers it will be amplified and played back at 110 dB.


It's just the way to measure at which voltage the speakers have max output.

For power amplifiers it's measured in the same way.

For instance, the NAD S200 power amplifier has a sensivity of 1.4V for it's rated 225W output.

If the input signal increased above the 1.4V the amp starts to distort. At 225W output it distorts 0,03%, but it could probably output 400W as well, with 5 % distortion (don't know the value).


Non-powered speakers have a sensitivity spec as well. Eg. if the speaker is rated at 92 dB it means the speaker plays 92 dB measured from 1 meter(not taking room acoustics in account) if 1W is input. With 2W it plays 95 dB, with 4W 98 dB, 110 dB @ 64W and 113 dB at 128W and so on.


So at 1V the NAD S200 amp driving the 92 dB speakers would give app. 114 dB output at 1V (160W)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
HTPC DIGITAL -- > WAVETERMINAL 192 DAC --> LINEOUT -> POW.AMPLIFIER --- > speakers/powered sub ( in fact the line out from the sound card goes to the sub and then the amp is connected trhough the sub's main signal outputs with almost no lost in quality so .. )


2.1 system

for music.gaming,dvd vbalbalbla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
one thing i would like to ad..


please always keep in mind that the SIMPLER = THE BETTER

the less components and connections you have in your system the higher the resulting quality ( if the quality of the source is there!! )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Jim, do you mix the LFE signal into a 2 channel stereo output, where the low frequency is then directed to the sub at the subwoofer crossover?

Can't you hear the LFE channel distorting the normal stereo signal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Quote:
post by Esben

The master volume is in the Delta 410 sound card. IOW, in my computer. Any preamplifier can be used just as well, and some CD players also have variable output levels and can thus be connected directly to the speakers. Some people of course prefer the ability to switch sources which is possible with a preamp.
Ok, for example you could just run an RCA cable from your sound card directly to your speakers, and that’s it?


You control your master volume with your mouse then?

Quote:
post by Esben

The disadvantage of the speaker is high power requirements and usage and limited maximum SPL.
Hmm, you mean that it boost your electricity bill? Or that you have to buy some special power equipment?


What is “SPL�

Quote:
post by Esben

The price per speakers (including amp) including danish VAT (25 %) is with current $->DKR exchange rate $2000.
What I meant by the price is that I wanted to know that if you compare a preamp+amp+passive_speakers solution VS a preamp+powered_speakers solution, witch one will be cheaper to archive the “same†quality?

Quote:
post by Esben

The 110 dB sensitivity means that when you input a 1V signal into the amps of the speakers it will be amplified and played back at 110 dB.
So it’s the AMP spec, and not the speakers spec, or both?

Quote:
post by Esben

Non-powered speakers have a sensitivity spec as well. Eg. if the speaker is rated at 92 dB it means the speaker plays 92 dB measured from 1 meter(not taking room acoustics in account) if 1W is input. With 2W it plays 95 dB, with 4W 98 dB, 110 dB @ 64W and 113 dB at 128W and so on.
Each time you double the power (W), you increase 3 dB is that right?


3dB seems to be a constant in the audio, what it is?


You have kinda lost me with your numbers; do you have a link where I could learn about those? I want to learn how to judge speakers by spec (I know it’s not the way to go, but it’s difficult to listen to them when you found them on the internet ;)).


That would be appreciated. Sorry about all those Qs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
Ok, for example you could just run an RCA cable from your sound card directly to your speakers, and that’s it?


You control your master volume with your mouse then?
Yes, all I run from the sound card is RCA cables to the speakers and subwoofer (active also, as most).

Master volume can be controlled by the mouse, by a keyboard or in fact anything compatible with Girder (including IR receivers, so you could use a remote to turn it up & down.

Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
Hmm, you mean that it boost your electricity bill? Or that you have to buy some special power equipment?
High power usage means high electricity bill + lots of heat. The heat though is the biggest problem of the 2. If I play maximum volume dance/rap music for extended periods of time the thermal protection turns off the speaker as the amps can't cool down enough and give too much heat.

Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
What is “SPL�
SPL is a rating of Sound Pressure Level. It's the common way of measuring how loud you play.

Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
What I meant by the price is that I wanted to know that if you compare a preamp+amp+passive_speakers solution VS a preamp+powered_speakers solution, witch one will be cheaper to archive the “same†quality?



So it’s the AMP spec, and not the speakers spec, or both?

I cannot answer the question with price of one solution versus the other.


The sensitivity for the Teknico speakers is for the amps AND speakers. You cannot input a 1V signal into a passive speaker and make it play.

Quote:
Originally posted by TYBZ
Each time you double the power (W), you increase 3 dB is that right?


3dB seems to be a constant in the audio, what it is?
Yes, it is correct that 3 dB is often used. It means double loudness, or half af loud if you decrease by 3 dB.


The best page I could come up with is:
http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/articles/speakers/
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top