AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Im stinkin new to this forum and also on home theater stuff.

I was looking into buying simple $1000 theater system.

here's what I have in mind, please feel free to add your input.

center: Athena AS-C1

Front: Athena AS-F2.2

Rear: Athena Micra SAT1B satellite OR AS-B1 or B2

Sub: Athena P-6000

and

Harmon Kardon AVR 235

But doing some more researching on this forum, I was wondering what company would sound better between Athena and Rocket.

Im going for most bang for buck. so help me out please!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome to the forum; it sounds like you're on the right track :) . If you need more help, people here are more than happy to provide it; just ask a specific questions. What kind of help do you need? Open ended or general requests for help are usually ignored, but a direct question will get a lot of good responses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't heard them first hand, but I've read that Athena and HK are really good together. The HK reciever is described as laid back, and the Athenas sometimes described as a little bright (highs in your face). So putting them together equals out nicley. Like I said, I haven't heard it my self though. I have heard Athenas and I like them alot.

Good Luck!

Paul

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
First of all.... welcome to the forum!

For what my personal opinion is worth.... I didn't care for the Athenas at all when I auditioned them at BB. Admittedly, their room was an embarrasement and they had several of the speakers wired incorrectly and didn't even know it.

I HAVE heard SEVERAL of the ID brands. ONIX products are VERY nice for the $$$ as are Ascend Acoustic speakers. If it were me, I would definitely check out each of those forums and sites and see if you can get an audition in your area.

It won't be the same as in your own home, but both have 30 day trial periods for you to decide if you like them in your own home on your gear.

As for the HK receiver.... it's a nice choice and will serve you well on any speaker you choose.

Good Luck and once again, welcome!

:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls
First of all.... welcome to the forum!

For what my personal opinion is worth.... I didn't care for the Athenas at all when I auditioned them at BB. Admittedly, their room was an embarrasement and they had several of the speakers wired incorrectly and didn't even know it.

I HAVE heard SEVERAL of the ID brands. ONIX products are VERY nice for the $$$ as are Ascend Acoustic speakers. If it were me, I would definitely check out each of those forums and sites and see if you can get an audition in your area.

It won't be the same as in your own home, but both have 30 day trial periods for you to decide if you like them in your own home on your gear.

As for the HK receiver.... it's a nice choice and will serve you well on any speaker you choose.

Good Luck and once again, welcome!

:)
He should also try Aperion.They have free shipping.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46minaudio
He should also try Aperion.They have free shipping.
That they do.....

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the inputs, I think I'll just get the Athena's with HK reciever. Nothing too fancy is needed and this is more for my parents, so average is good enough. Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with amb7247, what you are doing is a very nice set up. All opinions aside, Athena was one of the greatest reviewed speakers. For many reasons, first of all being affordable, second, build quality, third they do indeed sound pretty good. You can find other speakers that sound a bit better, but for a full set you will be paying much more (this is where you will learn about the low return rate of A/V). e.i., listening to a set of Paradigms after listening to a set of Athenas... yes, they do sound more full and refined.... but these Athenas sound better than most any low end speaker, and I can buy two sets for the same price as one set of Paradigms. I'm not saying this to start anything, but, you are buying as a gift... and you are giving your parents a great mid-fi system at a great price. Obviously you are doing research, for your own system, I bet money you would probably save a lot more to get more performance....... watch out, you are entering a hobby that can polish out your check book.

Cheers eunsangie, your parents will definitely be enthused.

-Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.