AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see most of you advanced people on here want a device with everything, especially for the HD content. That is all well and good.

I'm much simpler in what I am looking for. Basically, just want my divx / xvids to play on my Plasma.

I've been reading reviews on Dlink 520 , Helios xseries, Netgear EVA8000, Mvix and Tvix. But none of these devices really get rave reviews for streaming.

But in my case - simple non HD Divx/Xvid, will any or all of those devices cut it? And my worst case scenario - id just do USB storage attached and leave out the wireless factor.

Again, I respect all of your opinions and am learning a lot just from reading- but for the basic usage - what can you suggest? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, I have a DLink DSM-520 and it will stream XVid fine. I can even stream wireless using a Linksys speedboost router, although mostly I use a wired connection to my server. If that's all you want to do and you can get the DLink cheap (say $150) it might be my first choice. The going rate seems to be in the $300-400 range though for most of these boxes. At that price I would go with the Netgear EVA8000. It gives you a better upgrade path and more features than the DLink box.

Just my $0.02.

Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, that is very reassuring to hear. I'll most likely go with the Dlink for simplicity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts