AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally received my X1 yesterday and between Weeblos meetings, setting up servers, wireless networks, isdn troubleshooting and yada yada yada I have had just a few minutes to just look at shoot some video through it. So here is my first few impressions as I did own an AE100 for 6 months. Please keep in mind I just sold it a month ago so this is not a side by side comparison but I know many of you are wondering how does the x1 stand next to it.

Screendoor is reduced quite a bit. Not completely but it is much less noticable at close viewing distances than my ae100. Of course you could allways defocus the AE but with the X1 you really don't need to.

Color rendition: Excellent, improvement over the AE?, hard to tell but the blacks are blacker as they say on the DLP projectors. AE had pretty good blacks but the X1 has it beat.

Rainbows: I didn't have much time to watch movies and of course my pc's dvd software wasn't cooperating so Bugs life was all I could shoot up and I really didn't see anything different from my AE. It was not obvious to me and I consider myself pretty attuned to seeing differences. So at least with limited viewing not really anything to add. I did watch some monday night football with my rp50 feeding it and when they had a closeup of a white jersey you could see an oily rainbow look slightly maybe this is what rainbows look like but nothing else really stood out.

Noise Level: AE was a little quiter but ....this is still a very quiet projector. And the sound level is typically directed down and foward from the projector. Comparing it to the sound of my ae100 you can tell it's running but the sound is not a deal breaker at all, it is still very quiet. There is no high pitch squealing either compared to some dlp's.

Light leakage: Just a little from the front of the projector through it's vent fins. Not much and not distracting at all. No light from the rear of the projector.

Here is where it smokes the ae100: 800x600 looks great from the pc and so does 1024x768! I even ran Excel so I could see how it handled the vertical grid and eveything looked great! I am going to get great use out of this with presentations and technical training.

When you select the presentation mode the whites really pop out and it is very bright. So for some of you pc users or gamers out there that needed good native resolutions this projector won't dissapoint. The ae100 was awful with computer resolutions, even with powerstrip! X1 is much much better.

As far as the Presentation mode compared to the Video and Theatre modes they do reduce the brightness but the theatre mode is just as bright as the ae100 was and the bonus is you can turn it up when needed for other uses!

One last thing is that when I played bugs life in the widescreen mode from my pc the full width (yes black bars top and bottom) of the screen was used. This may not be significant to most users but to native AE100 users that are not using powerstrip from their pc you almost allways never get the full panel to fill on the ae100 without some real tweaks from your htpc powerstrip settings. Now I havn't tried it yet with my toshiba via component out yet but I am very pleased at the ease of use factor with this projector.

It really used to bug me that I had to use an HTPC to get the best picture out of a DVD now it seems as though you'll be able to get just as great a picture with out the hassles of the the HTPC. Please understand that when you have 4 kids with friends over to watch a movie you want a simple and quick setup. HTPC are fun to mess with but when time is a factor they can be a real pain.

Believe me I know many are waiting for some screen shots and I'll try and a get a few up in the next couple of days. This projector unfortunately couldn't have come at a busier time for a Dad with 4 kids and side business.

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
sounds really good i am debating between x1 and the z1 from sanyo so id love to see some pics of the 16:9 material. when you get a chance of course. four kids and christmas can keep you busy im sure. nice to hear you enjoy the x1, makes me think about getting one. jeff :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to go japanese but decided I wanted to have a warranty this time around as well. I think the 5,000 hr is overrated for some of these projectors. InFocus has a free extension on the warranty on the projector out to 5 years! Now they have to really believe in their product.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.