AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Swampfox is succinct but so right.

I have tried the DLP Infocus LP350 in my classroom, with blinds closed and lights off (but still a fair amount of ambient light, due to large windows). The Infocus is rated at 1300 lumens, but the speculation around this forum is that it is over-rated. The bottom line: it wasn't bright enough.

I have been told that LCD projectors emit a different kind of light (whatever that means) and look brighter at lower actual lumen ratings than DLP's. If you don't have local dealers where you can see various projectors in action, the best thing for you to do is to go to Projector Central and use the engine that allows you to search for projectors by brightness, then try out the brightest model that fits your budget. Personally, for my classroom, I don't think 2500 lumens would be overkill in the least. BTW, try to buy from a place with a reasonable trial period and no restocking fee. (Studio Experience and Projection Direct are a couple that come to mind.)

Mike

[This message has been edited by catullus (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
For work we just bought a Sanyo XW15 for about $3000. It is rated at 800 lumens, but I swear that it is as bright as or even brighter than our lp340 (that is a supposed 1300 lumens) that we have here. It is higher resolution than the lp340 and is quite a nice little business unit. We checked out the Sanyo Xu21n too which is rated at 1200 lumens and it is way brighter than our infocus unit, but it was bigger and cost more.

Hope this helps.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll be using a projector primarily for Powerpoint presentations and have little need for superb movies and home theater type shows.

What type requirements would you suggest I concentrate on. I'll be projecting probably from 20-50' in subdued, not blackened rooms.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is Cameron still out there? I tried to email you personally but the email bounced user unknown.

here it is - please let me know if you have any news on the XW15 -THANKS!

I just found your post today - I am thinking about buying a XW15 for home theater use. Mike at AV Presentations quoted me one for $2195 with a nice looking DVD player thrown in. Do you have any more input since your post on this machine? Have you tried it at home with a DVD? Any breakdowns, picture degradation, hassles?

I appreciate your input - $2000 is a fairly large chunk of cash for me, but the results will be fantastic I'm sure. If the thing breaks frequently I'll feel differently ...

thank you

Kurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.