AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be out to lunch with this approach but given the LCDs I'm looking at and their abundant inputs... I'm not sure I'm all that interested in video pass thru or switching on my next receiver - just an ability to decode/output 5.1 in addition to normal stereo for audio sources.

Or maybe I'll end up w/ an AV receiver but perhaps not use the video switching... At any rate my interest is to focus on simplified and straightforward functionality with a minimum of 'features' (think Tivoli Model One radio - have one at the office and love it!).

Appreciate any opinion or suggestions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using an HT processor for 10 years that has the video switching capability but I never use it because the video signal goes to the screen and the audio digital signal goes to the HT processor.

With these days of HDMI, they've trapped us into using video switching circuitry as well. I'm sure there are HDMI break-out cables out there that can put the digital audio into SPDIF format on RCA plugs but Blu-ray hi-res audio uses audio formats that are incompatible with SPDIF.

If you want a quality surround sound experience, then you'll need a dedicated processor and with HDMI, you'll likely need a video-switching processor too so that the neatness of HDMI can be utilised.

Cheers

sutherk

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you want to run HDMI to both your TV and receiver, there are options.

You can always forego lossless audio and run optical or digital coax to your receiver too.

I run all my video sources through my receiver, and I am happy with that setup. I run a single HDMI cable to my TV, and never use the TVs audio.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - yes I see what you are saying unfortunately. So it's all 'integrated' into a single cable so to speak. Hmmm....

What if I sent all the HDMI connections to the LCD TV. Do the newer LCD TVs have simple audio outs?

For most TV viewing like Satellite, off the air or typical dramas, etc I'm OK with just watching it on the TV using the built in speakers. We mostly just power up the receiver any more for the big 'spectacle' movies and of course for radio or iPod dock (soon) or CD.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It really depends on your equipment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the TV has an SPDIF output - could one not use it to the receiver and get the benefits of blueray audio to the receiver? E.g. the HDMI cable comes from the HD source such as Blueray, HD Sat, etc. directly to the TV. Then the TV acts as the 'break out' box and outputs the audio to the receiver.

Also I think I've seen Y split versions of HDMI cables too. (presuming both the receiver and TV have HDMI input(s))

I personally don't mind powering up the receiver to do all this but others in the house have never cared for this. And personally I only really like using my receiver/speakers for music or the occasional movie w/ lots of sound fx.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtr /forum/post/15882552

If the TV has an SPDIF output - could one not use it to the receiver and get the benefits of blueray audio to the receiver? E.g. the HDMI cable comes from the HD source such as Blueray, HD Sat, etc. directly to the TV. Then the TV acts as the 'break out' box and outputs the audio to the receiver.

Also I think I've seen Y split versions of HDMI cables too. (presuming both the receiver and TV have HDMI input(s))

I personally don't mind powering up the receiver to do all this but others in the house have never cared for this. And personally I only really like using my receiver/speakers for music or the occasional movie w/ lots of sound fx.

Probably not. Most TVs send two channel PCM only from their audio output. There might be exceptions, but I can't name any.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15882690

Probably not. Most TVs send two channel PCM only from their audio output. There might be exceptions, but I can't name any.

I'm a little confused here so bare with me... My understanding is that the ATSC standard offers 'theater like' sound quality via AC-3 which includes 5.1. Taking my recently purchased LCD - it offers only 2 outputs - both are audio: a pair of RCA L/R jacks and an optical digital output. But if TVs do not break out the 5.1 audio to be sent to an AV receiver - how does one enjoy an ATSC broadcast signal in surround? From the above - it sounds like it's not possible...?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtr /forum/post/15886725

I'm a little confused here so bare with me... My understanding is that the ATSC standard offers 'theater like' sound quality via AC-3 which includes 5.1. Taking my recently purchased LCD - it offers only 2 outputs - both are audio: a pair of RCA L/R jacks and an optical digital output. But if TVs do not break out the 5.1 audio to be sent to an AV receiver - how does one enjoy an ATSC broadcast signal in surround? From the above - it sounds like it's not possible...?

You can use the optical output to receive 5.1 from OTA HD channels. I use an OTA antenna for my locals and run the 5.1 audio to my receiver. Any other sources it down mixes to 2 channel. You can still use your receivers processing to expand it but it's not true 5.1.

There may be a model that will pass 5.1 from other sources through the digital output other than OTA but I'm not aware of any.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked my TV owner's manual and it's worded rather strangely but it verifies what you posted and answers my previous question as well:

"5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH." The external device they are referring to must be an AV receiver - not a Bluray etc... E.g. an input device, not an output device.

"When the TV is displaying a DTV (air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver"

And unfortunately it says the following:

"When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver."

Yep - when I get ready to upgrade my receiver - I'm going to have to route all the HDMI and non HDMI inputs to it and so on...

It sure seemed intuitive to me that if a TV could split out and pass on 5.1 from it's ATSC source that it could do the same from any of it's HDMI inputs!

Well I need to start looking at modern receivers - I'd looked briefly at the Yamaha 463 but it only offers 2 HDMI inputs and no upconverting - e.g. it's HDMI output appears to be independent of it's other output(s).

thanks for the responses...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtr /forum/post/15886725

You are right. I need to make a clarification. TVs should be able to output Dolby Digital when it originates from the TVs own tuner. They are usually restricted to two channel PCM when the audio originated from a source outside the TV.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If you're looking for the best bargans check out the HK 247 and Marantz 4002, Onkyo 605 refurbs. If you want to stick with new imo the Onkyo 606 is the way to go, cost a little more but gives you full HD audio decoding and more HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I wanted to preserve hooking up video sources directly to the TV inputs but obtain 5.1 to my (yet to be purchased) AVR - would I get 5.1 if I simply hooked up HDMI directly to the TVs inputs and hooked up the devices respective digital audio ouputs (fiber/coax) directly to the AVR? Would there be potential audio syncing issues with the video?

This might for example allow me to have switching and audio to the TV for most occasions and would benefit from 5.1 when I desired to watch the 'big' movie. And it might make me reconsider something like the RX-V663 with it's limited HDMI inputs.

---

Thanks for the recommendations on the 605, 606 etc - I'll check those out.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts