AVS Forum banner

29641 - 29660 of 29877 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Sanjay Yes, I will measure behind the MLP. I did try measuring a few inches back, but will expand further back. I was trying to keep close to an optimum distance for tv viewing, so I might have to compromise a little with both.

@ Candor I have also been using the blue tape. My right speaker is about 35" from the side wall, but due to access to the living area and a built in wall cabinet, my left speaker is about 67" from the adjoining side wall. I cannot get set up exactly on the centerline. I will try the 8:5 ratio as best as conditions allow, putting the speaker face about 20" from the wall. Hopefully this will help boost the bass.

@ahblaza That is the type of graph I was hopeful about, I don't think my room will allow that good of a result, but I try to get close, or closer.

Thanks All

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have used REW for a while now but whats the problem with ASIO4all it seems to have been flaky for a while now
it asks for my UMIC 1 cal file and then reports that setting have changed and I should re-select an input but when you try that it doesn't see the UMIC 1
I know about FlexASIO but this brings up another question
why do you get different results between using JAVA, ASIO4all and FlexASIO some look graphs of the same speaker look better than others

·
Registered
870 Posts
I highly recommended reviewing the very thorough guide created by AustinJerry (My heartfelt thanks to you, Jerry, for taking the time and effort to put this together and keep it updated) which contains information contributed by myself and many other AVS'ers on both how to connect your equipment and how to use REW in (post 275).
You may want to change to this link as the new site format doesn't lead to to the right post anymore:

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,207 Posts
You may want to change to this link as the new site format doesn't lead to to the right post anymore:
Already reported to AVS. Many links referencing specific post are not working since the forum upgrade--they are working on it. In the meantime, J has been kind enough to include the actual post number (275) which will allow you to find the post with the link. Or, you can find the link to the guide in my sig as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Already reported to AVS. Many links referencing specific post are not working since the forum upgrade--they are working on it. In the meantime, J has been kind enough to include the actual post number (275) which will allow you to find the post with the link. Or, you can find the link to the guide in my sig as well.
Cool. It wasn't hard to find with the post#. The link I've added on my post should be good now, unless they change it up again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have used REW for a while now but whats the problem with ASIO4all it seems to have been flaky for a while now
it asks for my UMIC 1 cal file and then reports that setting have changed and I should re-select an input but when you try that it doesn't see the UMIC 1
I know about FlexASIO but this brings up another question
why do you get different results between using JAVA, ASIO4all and FlexASIO some look graphs of the same speaker look better than others
The ASIO (I use the ASIOall) drivers have the benefit of using HDMI and selecting individual channels on an AVR. I think most of the issues I've seen are caused by a connection change on the laptop. The most frequent one is the HDMI to AVP which resets whenever I make a change in the setup. Most of time doing [RELOAD] of ASIO fixes, though some times I have to reboot the laptop.

I haven't noticed that different drivers cause different measurement charts for same speaker, though I never attempted to test. Are you sure that everything else is the same except the drivers and possibly the input?

In my REW adventures, I have seen issues caused by equipment being measured. For instance, when setting up subs, I could not get same measurement 5 times in a row. Three would be same but the other two different. The FR looked same, but phase and impulse charts were different. Resetting subs to factory default resolved. The last time I did my set up, I reset the subs to factory default and also the AVP (likely not reset for years). I noticed that individual subs impulse charts that now both got to max peak on second rise. Earlier one of them rose 3-4 times before max peak.

If you are seeing variance in measurement it might the gear you are measuring.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,207 Posts
How does one set a sub to factory defaults? I guess it depends on the brand sub you have.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The ASIO (I use the ASIOall) drivers have the benefit of using HDMI and selecting individual channels on an AVR. I think most of the issues I've seen are caused by a connection change on the laptop. The most frequent one is the HDMI to AVP which resets whenever I make a change in the setup. Most of time doing [RELOAD] of ASIO fixes, though some times I have to reboot the laptop.

I haven't noticed that different drivers cause different measurement charts for same speaker, though I never attempted to test. Are you sure that everything else is the same except the drivers and possibly the input?

In my REW adventures, I have seen issues caused by equipment being measured. For instance, when setting up subs, I could not get same measurement 5 times in a row. Three would be same but the other two different. The FR looked same, but phase and impulse charts were different. Resetting subs to factory default resolved. The last time I did my set up, I reset the subs to factory default and also the AVP (likely not reset for years). I noticed that individual subs impulse charts that now both got to max peak on second rise. Earlier one of them rose 3-4 times before max peak.

If you are seeing variance in measurement it might the gear you are measuring.
for me at the moment after inadvertently resetting REW ASIO4all is unusable but I will revisit Jerrys guide and check things are set up properly
as for different measurements they were all taken at exactly the same time so I doubt it gear related

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently built a false wall wrapped in acoustically transparent fabric paired with an acoustically transparent screen. To make sure the screen frame did not cross in from of the speakers (SVS Prime Towers & Center), I build stands for them to be within the screen. When I went to reconnect my Denon 3100W, the left front channel was not working, so I brought my Yamaha 780 down as a temporary solution. The theater area is in an open basement with front right in a corner and front left well away from the other corner. The system also has 2 SVS PC2000 subs along the front wall. Since I had both receivers available, I decided to try REW and see the difference between the two hooked up to the same speakers. These graphs are after a quick pass through their respective audio correction programs. The graphs include small (crossover at 80) and large speakers...Yamaha is with large (graphs with small looked worse, but could revisit). Hopefully the scale on these is good for discussion. Questions: Does the Yamaha or Denon look like a better starting point for further tuning? The Denon looks like a better starting point, but I am surprised how well the Yamaha has sounded for the time we had it connected. Once a receiver is selected, which frequencies/speakers look like the concerns I should address first? Dennon Left speaker at 95Hz with crossover at 80 drops out - try different crossover point? Should I be concerned with drop around 35Hz? Thanks for any help interpreting these results. Please let me know if I need to adjust the scale or provide other results.
Yamaha Single and Both Subs.jpg Yamaha with Both Subs.jpg Dennon vs Yamaha Center.jpg Dennon vs Yamaha Left.jpg Dennon vs Yamaha Right.jpg Denon Center Waterfall.jpg Yamaha Center Waterfall.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
How does one set a sub to factory defaults? I guess it depends on the brand sub you have.
Yes these are SVS SB3000 which have digital configuration instead of analog switches, which unfortunately is something else that can go awry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, newcomer here :) I have my home cinema system located in my bedroom. I recently added a subwoofer to my 5.0 system, a Jamo S810. Soon after that I bought a UMIK-1 and MiniDSP to see what is being measured and how the subwoofer and LFE+Main is doing. Here is the result:

I followed Jerry's guide as close as possible, but I think it's a weird measurement. Especially that my mains are following the same pattern in the beginning as the subwoofer. Can someone explain this to me? In a lot of graphs from other people I don't see this behaviour.

Relevant information
Receiver: Pioneer VSX932
Surround system: Jamo HCS246
Using Java or Assio4all gives the same results.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,207 Posts
Hi guys, newcomer here :) I have my home cinema system located in my bedroom. I recently added a subwoofer to my 5.0 system, a Jamo S810. Soon after that I bought a UMIK-1 and MiniDSP to see what is being measured and how the subwoofer and LFE+Main is doing. Here is the result:

I followed Jerry's guide as close as possible, but I think it's a weird measurement. Especially that my mains are following the same pattern in the beginning as the subwoofer. Can someone explain this to me? In a lot of graphs from other people I don't see this behaviour.

Relevant information
First question--what are these two measurements? How were they taken? And what is the measurement called "double bass"?

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
View attachment 3025975

Relevant information
You mention "LFE+Main" in your post and as Jerry pointed out, one of your graphs is labeled "DoubleBass"...do you have your mains set to "Large"? All speakers should be set to "Small" in the AVR with an appropriate crossover in order for bass management to work correctly.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mention "LFE+Main" in your post and as Jerry pointed out, one of your graphs is labeled "DoubleBass"...do you have your mains set to "Large"? All speakers should be set to "Small" in the AVR with an appropriate crossover in order for bass management to work correctly.
In the doublebass graph I mean LFE+Main. In my AV its called double bass and speakers are on large then. That's one measurement you see. My crossover is set at 80hz.
First question--what are these two measurements? How were they taken? And what is the measurement called "double bass"?
The doublebass measurement is LFE+Main, speakers set to large. The other measurement is speakers set to small and only the sub doing the low frequencies. I did a sweep on 90db from 20 to 200hz from my main listening position. I used the Assio channel 4, the subwoofer level. Does that make it more clear for you?

Thanks for replying!

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,207 Posts
In the doublebass graph I mean LFE+Main. In my AV its called double bass and speakers are on large then. That's one measurement you see. My crossover is set at 80hz.

The doublebass measurement is LFE+Main, speakers set to large. The other measurement is speakers set to small and only the sub doing the low frequencies. I did a sweep on 90db from 20 to 200hz from my main listening position. I used the Assio channel 4, the subwoofer level. Does that make it more clear for you?

Thanks for replying!
I understand a little better now, but that doesn't mean I agree with how you took the measurements. What we would like to see is the following two measurements:

1. Center+sub (HDMI3), with center set to Small, and Double bass turned off in the AVR. You can measure either left+sub or right+sub if you prefer. Measure 15-300Hz and present the measurement with no smoothing.

2. Sub only, (HDMI4), 15-300Hz, no smoothing. This measurement will be 10dB higher than the first, not a problem.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts

Thanks for replying!
Both measurements are essentially measuring the same thing, speaker+sub. Only difference is with the mains set to Large and LFE+Main turned on (Double Bass), the mains are contributing to the low end (albeit only slightly) and also causing a cancellation from about 50-65Hz (the reason why "double bass" is discouraged around here). The results are just about what I would expect from a sub with a frequency response of 36Hz - 180Hz.

The dip around your 80Hz crossover point (present on both graphs) can probably be fixed with the sub distance tweak.

Reactions: galonzo and ahblaza

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand a little better now, but that doesn't mean I agree with how you took the measurements. What we would like to see is the following two measurements:

1. Center+sub (HDMI3), with center set to Small, and Double bass turned off in the AVR. You can measure either left+sub or right+sub if you prefer. Measure 15-300Hz and present the measurement with no smoothing.

2. Sub only, (HDMI4), 15-300Hz, no smoothing. This measurement will be 10dB higher than the first, not a problem.
Aye, will do that! Thanks a lot.

Both measurements are essentially measuring the same thing, speaker+sub. Only difference is with the mains set to Large and LFE+Main turned on (Double Bass), the mains are contributing to the low end (albeit only slightly) and also causing a cancellation from about 50-65Hz (the reason why "double bass" is discouraged around here). The results are just about what I would expect from a sub with a frequency response of 36Hz - 180Hz.

The dip around your 80Hz crossover point (present on both graphs) can probably be fixed with the sub distance tweak.
Yep, I had to comprise either way, because the soundsystem is in our bedroom and I can't place a big subwoofer in the room. I'll give the distance tweak a shot!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've posted here. Been busy enjoying the results of my last visit :) thank you :) but once again I need your expertise. I've been putting this room together about a year now. I've just added two diy subs (dual 12" JBL's w/Slaps) and a BOSS platform. These measurements are the JBL's upfront and a VTF15 nearfield. I think the room is pretty well treated, screen wall, back wall, 2nd reflection point, rear bass traps, carpet and thick fabric walls. I'm running 7.2.4 off a Denon 3600, the front subs are equidistant so treated as one.
I ran REW individually on the fronts then the nf and loaded the mini 2x4. Then ran all together and loaded that in the mini 2x4. Then ran Audsy and finally added a house curve. It sounds really good but I'm sure you guys can help make it better :) I have my RW-12d that I can add to the mix if it'll help. Planning on working on this tomorrow afternoon. Looks like the new site doesn't attach mdat...
aug 2 DSP and Audsy.jpg aug 2 DSP and Audsy 2.jpg aug 2 DSP and Audsy 5.jpg aug 2 DSP and Audsy 3.jpg aug 2 DSP and Audsy 4.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts

I did the test. All measured on 90db, speakers set to small, no double bass, no eq done by the AVR.

No smoothing applied. Did I do the measurement correct this time?

29641 - 29660 of 29877 Posts