AVS Forum banner

29821 - 29840 of 30125 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
So that is why you set the crossover on your L/R channels to max 250hz to push those hz to the subs, and disconnect the L/R speakers. I noticed the channel options right off the bat using ASIO.
No, that is not correct. First of all, I want to make sure you aren't talking about the LPF for LFE setting. You can't output a test signal to the LFE channel using Java.

Second, if you want to test the performance of the subs by themselves, you want to keep the regular crossover engaged, since that is the way the subs will sound in normal use. Output the test signal to either the left or right channel and simply unplug the speaker cable to isolate the sub signal.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
No, that is not correct. First of all, I want to make sure you aren't talking about the LPF for LFE setting. You can't output a test signal to the LFE channel using Java.

Second, if you want to test the performance of the subs by themselves, you want to keep the regular crossover engaged, since that is the way the subs will sound in normal use. Output the test signal to either the left or right channel and simply unplug the speaker cable to isolate the sub signal.
No, not the LPF to LFE channel, that I keep at 100hz, it was in regards to one of the REW videos where the guy set his crossovers on the Left and Right channels in his AVR to 250hz to ensure that all of that frequency is redirected to the sub out channel. I'm sure he had his LFP to LFE set to the standard 120hz

So in reality all i need to do is just disconnect the L/R speaker if using Java. I run my crossovers @ L/C/R 80hz, Surr. 90hz and Atmos 120hz with a LPF to LFE 100hz

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
No, not the LPF to LFE channel, that I keep at 100hz, it was in regards to one of the REW videos where the guy set his crossovers on the Left and Right channels in his AVR to 250hz to ensure that all of that frequency is redirected to the sub out channel. I'm sure he had his LFP to LFE set to the standard 120hz

So in reality all i need to do is just disconnect the L/R speaker if using Java. I run my crossovers @ L/C/R 80hz, Surr. 90hz and Atmos 120hz with a LPF to LFE 100hz
That is correct. I would also keep the LPF for LFE set to its default, 120Hz.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

I think the video you are referring to is the Home Theater Gurus (episode 7). The reason he raised the crossover and disconnected the speakers was to get the full/max response of the subwoofer so he can EQ it (his FlexASIO wasn't working). In your case, if you just want to measure actual performance (or post calibration) with crossovers engaged, you can disconnect the speakers but keep the crossovers to where you would be listening at.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
I think the video you are referring to is the Home Theater Gurus (episode 7). The reason he raised the crossover and disconnected the speakers was to get the full/max response of the subwoofer so he can EQ it (his FlexASIO wasn't working). In your case, if you just want to measure actual performance (or post calibration) with crossovers engaged, you can disconnect the speakers but keep the crossovers to where you would be listening at.
Yes, that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Hey guys,
I just want to make 100% sure that my ceiling speakers are in phase with my floor ones. Here's the impulse showing them both. Can someone please confirm their phase are aligned?
Thx

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
Yes, they look to be fine. That is just some noise that happens before the sharp peak going upwards in both cases.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I just want to make 100% sure that my ceiling speakers are in phase with my floor ones. Here's the impulse showing them both. Can someone please confirm their phase are aligned?
it doesn't show phase, you're looking at polarity

this seems a bit questionable to me, you have some mess then some relatively weak positive peak then a very strong negative peak then another relatively weak positive peak. It's not unreasonable to think it might well be inverted, perhaps using your eyes and a 9V battery might be a simpler way to verify this.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi guys

Was looking into buying a Surface pro for REW... Anyone here use one with ASIO with success?.... I'm buying an Anthem AVM60.....and will need to to time align everything.... Or which laptop which what chipset will work?....this is crucial for me as Anthem for some dumb reason doesn't time align speakers and subs.

Cheers
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
Hi guys

Was looking into buying a Surface pro for REW... Anyone here use one with ASIO with success?.... I'm buying an Anthem AVM60.....and will need to to time align everything.... Or which laptop which what chipset will work?....this is crucial for me as Anthem for some dumb reason doesn't time align speakers and subs.

Cheers
Kevin

If that is indeed true (which I find very hard to believe), why would you ever consider buying an AVM60?

·
Registered
473 Posts
100% sure of all of this guys, Anthem even states it.... ARC does not set distances... You have to do it yourself.

I'll be inputting my speaker distances and subwoofer distances from what Audyssey set them at....when I calibrated and go from there..... But on the off chance I lose all that I wanted to use to do it.... I only have a 7. 1 setup.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
100% sure of all of this guys, Anthem even states it.... ARC does not set distances... You have to do it yourself.

I'll be inputting my speaker distances and subwoofer distances from what Audyssey set them at....when I calibrated and go from there..... But on the off chance I lose all that I wanted to use to do it.... I only have a 7. 1 setup.

So what appeals to you about the Anthem? Many Anthem users have left ARC behind for an arguably better room correction system, Dirac Live. Did you consider one of the Dirac processors, like the Monolith HTP-1? I'll bet if you were to ask in the HTP-1 thread whether there are former Anthem owners there, and what made them change, you would get quite a few responses. And you may not like what you hear. It's not to late...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm in aus... And the Monolith is not available here and Audio control here is 7k+.....where the Anthem is 3k lol...... I have never liked the sound of Denon and Marantz.... Hence why I wanted something different. Plus I've heard the Anthem kn many occasions and loved it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm in aus...
Indeed. The choices here are not what they are in the US and the local pricing of many processors is disproportionate to their home pricing.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,705 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, and good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
it doesn't show phase, you're looking at polarity

this seems a bit questionable to me, you have some mess then some relatively weak positive peak then a very strong negative peak then another relatively weak positive peak. It's not unreasonable to think it might well be inverted, perhaps using your eyes and a 9V battery might be a simpler way to verify this.
Sorry. Yeah its a polarity. I wanted to make sure the polarity of speaker on floors are same as on ceiling. Floor speakers are driven by Dirac. Ceiling speakers are not. therefore you'll see a big difference in how the polarity of Floor speaker looks as compared to the one with ceiling.

I can't see the driver of ceiling speaker because its hidden behind the grill that's screwed in (JBL SCS 8). Any other way I can test it besides visualizing the Impulse response?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Indeed. The choices here are not what they are in the US and the local pricing of many processors is disproportionate to their home pricing.
Yeah it really does suck... Hence why I'm willing to go through the trouble of aligning everything myself. But will run REW and see how I go.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Any other way I can test it besides visualizing the Impulse response?
Try measuring with the mic pointed directly at the speaker and not v far away (<= 1m) and see if you can get a cleaner reading that way.

What does "a big impact on the polarity" mean though? There are only two states, positive or negative, so are you talking about the shape of the IR itself?

29821 - 29840 of 30125 Posts