AVS Forum banner

29861 - 29880 of 30043 Posts

·
Registered
RX3070 7.1,Epson 5040,SilverTicket 120" 2.35.1 woven,CAP4000x1,CAP1400x2,MT-110X7
284 Posts
Screenshot_20200918-111154_Samsung Internet.jpg
I am questioning my decision to buy a MiniDSP 2x4 HD now as well as I don't know if the low end can get much better then that?

A dsp would allow you to implement a house curve and eq the graph while opening up the door to BEQ if your interested.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here is a full range measurement to Jerry's specs with Frint L/R and both subs(15-20000hz with 1/6 smoothing). That measurement is with a 8db increase to both subs gain post XT32.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here is with the sub gain adjusted for a flat response and I moved the crossover point to 100hz from 80hz to help improve the dip around the XO point...

Everything looks descent but, the 60-800hz range is still pretty uneven.

·
Registered
330 Posts
View attachment 3038215 I am questioning my decision to buy a MiniDSP 2x4 HD now as well as I don't know if the low end can get much better then that?

A dsp would allow you to implement a house curve and open up the door to BEQ if your interested.
Can you please explain the distance tweak you illustrated sir?

Yeah, I still may get one as I like to tweek and it would be nice to have full control of the lower frequency EQ.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,394 Posts
Here is with the sub gain adjusted for a flat response and I moved the crossover point to 100hz from 80hz to help improve the dip around the XO point...

Everything looks descent but, the 60-800hz range is still pretty uneven.
The variances in your response curve are less than 10dB, which is quite normal.

Reactions: Dirt9

·
Registered
RX3070 7.1,Epson 5040,SilverTicket 120" 2.35.1 woven,CAP4000x1,CAP1400x2,MT-110X7
284 Posts
Subwoofer distance tweak.
Doing sweeps of the center channel while increasing or decreasing the subwoofer distance in the avr menu can smooth out the xover region.
can be done with the center channel or the L/R depending on if your focused on movie's or music.
Allot of times you can save the set up for both and jump back and fourth depending on what content your consuming.
I think your response graph looks 👍It's just Suttle tweaks from here on out.congrats!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Subwoofer distance tweak.
Doing sweeps of the center channel while increasing or decreasing the subwoofer distance in the avr menu can smooth out the xover region.
can be done with the center channel or the L/R depending on if your focused on movie's or music.
Allot of times you can save the set up for both and jump back and fourth depending on what content your consuming.
I think your response graph looks It's just Suttle tweaks from here on out.congrats!
Yes, I did that yesterday but, just fine tuned it again. I get the smoothest response by using a 90hz XO and I moved the sub distance from 16.8' to 15.5'. Here are the results in 15-300hz(no smoothing) and full range(15-20000hz) with 1/6 smoothing with XT32 Flat turned on...

I bumped the sub gain back up 8db and added 2db boost to the deep bass level in my subs as I like authority in the low end.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The variances in your response curve are less than 10dB, which is quite normal.
That is good but, I'd still like to get it better. I haven't experimented with the Audyssey Pro App Curve Editor yet or with Ratbuddyssey. Once I get my acoustic panels and bass traps installed as well as a MiniDSP 2x4 HD installed I will revisit this and really dial it in. For now, I am going to keep working on my measurement setup to try and get 5.1 to work. Thanks again for all your help Jerry and I really appreciate you taking the time to make this great guide.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
It's great that you've eliminated the nulls as that's a key step that many can't get past.

Now, the response looks a little round to me. In my SQ testing, a rising, but flat line from 100 Hz on down is better than a rounded one. The roundness always sounded a little tubby to me. See how it sounds with music.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's great that you've eliminated the nulls as that's a key step that many can't get past.

Now, the response looks a little round to me. In my SQ testing, a rising, but flat line from 100 Hz on down is better than a rounded one. The roundness always sounded a little tubby to me. See how it sounds with music.
Thanks SB, it's been a lot of work and I still have more to do as some are covered up by EQ.

Ok, I hope I understood right, how does this look? Any better? You mean a taper up towards the lower frequencies correct?

Before...

After...

I only have so much control over EQ until I get the MiniDSP 2x4 HD. I used a combination of DEQ, EQ in my Subs, XO setting, and distance tweak to achieve that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
After looks better to my eyes, but make sure you listen to some music that you're familiar with to see what you think. Also it would be easier to see if you showed the bass as just 15-300 Hz.
Yeah, I will definitely try it both ways. Luckily my subs have DSP as well that allow me to quickly switch between Movie/Music/Night modes via phone app. Here's what they look like in listed order from top to bottom...

·
Registered
330 Posts
My money is on red, though the level seems a bit high. There's quite a discontinuity in your upper bass, too. That is usually the area where speaker placement and distances to walls messes things up.
Yeah, I have the bass pretty high(about 8db above Audyssey's setting) as I generally like lots of punch and can always lower it depending on content. I have never had 2 powerful subs before as well and am really enjoying it lol.

Can you further explain please. What frequencies and any suggestions? I know that my right front tower is causing a bunch of huge nulls but, I have little flexibility for placement. All I can really do is move it closer to the wall and it is already close to its minimum recommended spec from the manufacturer. My rear sub is also causing some problems but, luckily that I do have some alternative placement options. I plan to play around more with placement on my second sub once my acoustic treatments get here. I should also say that my room is absolute garbage. It is terrible for setup but, luckily I plan to buy a new house next year and will be looking for one with a dedicated listening room for music and HT.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's tough. The best thing you can do is put broadband absorption to the sides and behind your speakers to make the walls disappear. That may or may not be possible in your room.
Yeah, room and setup compromises aren't fun but, often necessary...

I think my spouse may be more of the issue then it being possible in my room lol. Luckily I was able to sell her on the 6 acoustic panels and 4 bass traps I just ordered but, it was a hard sell and took a while(I let her pick the fabric colours and design). The plan is to put a 5 panel array behind the couch at the first reflection point of my fronts and the extra 24x48" Panel is going above my front sub on a large blank spot on the wall. Bass traps in the 4 ceiling trihedral corners. We will see how it works out but, if necessary I can start working on getting more treatments.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I started my own thread but, it was suggested that I ask the question here as well. Thanks in advance guys.

Hey guys, I am need of some urgent help please.

I received my Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 a couple of weeks ago and have started learning REW and working on my setup. Everything has been going really well and I have made significant improvements to my sound and sub integration. I unfortunately have a major issue that I cannot sort out and need some help please...

So, I have REW and the UMIK-1 working perfectly but, no matter what I do I cannot get 5.1 to work and pass through to my AVR. 2 channel works perfectly. I have followed Jerry's REW guide to a tee and have tried both ASIO4ALL and FLEXASIO to no avail. I just can't get the center and surrounds to work. I am not sure if it is that my Laptop is too old or what. I have tried multiple cables and HDMI ports on my AVR, tried the AVR on different settings(Stereo, Multichannel, Dolby) and still nothing. I have the newest version of REW off of AVNirvana and Java 8 installed. All settings have been setup based on Jerry's guide. When I play the test sounds in Windows I get sound out of the left and right but, when it gets to the center and Surrounds it plays the test but, no sound comes out of the monitors. Same goes for when I pick output 3,4,5 in REW, no sound plays out of center, surround L/R but, 1&2 plays fine out of the front left and right.

Any help would be much appreciated as I cannot figure out what is going on and it's pretty frustrating to not be able to use all this equipment's capabilities. I will buy a new Laptop if necessary but, I don't even know if that is the issue. Thanks for any help you can offer guys.

29861 - 29880 of 30043 Posts