AVS Forum banner

17581 - 17600 of 29659 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
Hi Jerry

One question, where is the recommended place to buy MiniDSP UMIK-1, from MiniDSP $75 or from Cross-specturm $100? One is w/o calibrated one with calibrated. Is UMIK-1 better than dayton UMM-6? Thanks.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
I would buy the UMIK-1 because it's physical construction is a little sturdier. From a measurement perspective, they are roughly the same. Purchases from CSL include custom calibration files, which many consider worth the price difference.

Reactions: Roudan

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Not bad at all. A little issue right at 60Hz. Wonder if that is ground hum from the 60Hz power? I doubt that it is audible.

Now on to the tough one, the ETC.
i think it is because the circuit breaker boxes for the whole house is 8' away from me behind two doors. i will be doing the ETC as soon as the sun rises:D.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm using REW for first time and still running through setup. I'm not at home, So excuse me if I mistate something. I am using the step by step guide. It states to set REW output level to L+R+sub under preferences I think after measuring pink noise, and then increasing volume on avr up to 90db. Problem is I don't see that drop down menu for L+R plus sub. It has numbers on output, and the first one has subs and rt front, number two has only left front and subs, number three has no out put...I'm kind of sick how to get both fronts and sub outputting at this point. Remember I'm still in the setup stages.

IM trying to set the "REW Output, "L+R+ Subs." Ido not see anywhere fo rme to do that. Under REW PREFERENCES
For L+R+Sub in REW Preferences you need to set reference output to channel 1 and timing reference output to channel 2. Make sure your speakers are set to small and you'll get redirected bass to your subs when measuring.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
what can I conclude about my sub playing up to 105dB? in terms of compression? distortion? etc.?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I am attempting for the 5th time to get REW calibrated so I can do some measuring and also integrate my new Mini DSP. I have the UMIK-1, calibration file downloaded, etc. etc. My computer has an HDMI going to my Marantz 7702MKII. My computer recognizes the Marantz as well as the UMIK and the display from my computer shows on the screen of my TV which is routed through the processor. Also, all audio test tones play through the correct 8 speakers. This is where IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! In REW under "Preferences" then ASIO Control Panel I can see the UMIK and it is " Active" the Marantz doesn't show but "Intel Display Audio" which is assigned to the Marantz does show but is "Idle". For the life of me I cannot get it to show as active. I have tried everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure why my HDMI port doesn't show but not sure if that is related.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I am attempting for the 5th time to get REW calibrated so I can do some measuring and also integrate my new Mini DSP. I have the UMIK-1, calibration file downloaded, etc. etc. My computer has an HDMI going to my Marantz 7702MKII. My computer recognizes the Marantz as well as the UMIK and the display from my computer shows on the screen of my TV which is routed through the processor. Also, all audio test tones play through the correct 8 speakers. This is where IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! In REW under "Preferences" then ASIO Control Panel I can see the UMIK and it is " Active" the Marantz doesn't show but "Intel Display Audio" which is assigned to the Marantz does show but is "Idle". For the life of me I cannot get it to show as active. I have tried everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure why my HDMI port doesn't show but not sure if that is related.
I recently upgraded to a Marantz 8802, which is the same generation that your processor is. After reading your post, I tried REW for the first time on the 8802, and I am having issues getting it to work as well. Give me some time this evening to see if I can work out the issues, and I'll report the results.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I recently upgraded to a Marantz 8802, which is the same generation that your processor is. After reading your post, I tried REW for the first time on the 8802, and I am having issues getting it to work as well. Give me some time this evening to see if I can work out the issues, and I'll report the results.

Thank you Jerry! You are the best.

Keith

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts

Keith
OK, here is what I found. I could not get REW/ASIO working with the front panel HDMI connection. When I switched to a spare HDMI connection on the back, I was able to get REW/ASIO working with some fiddling around (re-boots, switch to Java and back, prayers to the deity of your choice).

At this time, I don't know if the front panel HDMI connection is working properly--I'll test that out tomorrow. I seem to remember a similar issue with my 8801, but I don't remember how it was resolved. In the meantime, try a different HDMI port and report your results.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
OK, here is what I found. I could not get REW/ASIO working with the front panel HDMI connection. When I switched to a spare HDMI connection on the back, I was able to get REW/ASIO working with some fiddling around (re-boots, switch to Java and back, prayers to the deity of your choice).

At this time, I don't know if the front panel HDMI connection is working properly--I'll test that out tomorrow. I seem to remember a similar issue with my 8801, but I don't remember how it was resolved. In the meantime, try a different HDMI port and report your results.

Keith
I will report back on how things work out tomorrow Jerry. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

Same issue on my denon, front hdmi is pretty much useless, you should just avoid it. Seems like a serial error.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
Same issue on my denon, front hdmi is pretty much useless, you should just avoid it. Seems like a serial error.
If indeed the front HDMI connection is not working, I would consider that a faulty unit. If I can't get it to work, I will report to Marantz technical support for their advice.

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
I have no issues using REW with the front HDMI on my Denon 4520.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I have no issues using REW with the front HDMI on my Denon 4520.
I had no troubles with my 4520 either. When I went to the 8801, I recall that I had some trouble getting the front HDMI to work. If it is working, when you plug the HDMI cable in, you will see the laptop's screen go blank for a moment during a HDMI handshake. Now that I have the 8802, nothing happens.

I need to experiment some more today. It may be a driver issue on the laptop.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Id like to comment on that harsh popping/noise that periodically comes from the REW sweeps. I recently updated to the new version of REW and i still get those pops, but maybe not quite as often (too early to tell). I also have my sampling rate set to 48hz under the Soundcard tab, so based on what i read, maybe upgrading to windows 10 will do something since that was the other variable that i saw was recently mentioned. :-/

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,897 Posts
I found it interesting that my impulse/etc graph for my L&R speaker seems to introduce more of an early reflection than what shows on my individual L speaker and R speaker graphs. Any ideas? I didnt really expect that.
To start with, impulse graphs should only be taken for individual speakers. So throw out the L&R impulse.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I understand that impulse measurements are taken from single speakers, but i wanted to see what it would do with both L & R and was surprised at the result. It just leads me down the path of "Well, if there are early spikes/reflections when more than one speaker is playing then shouldn't that matter?" since we are not listening to one isolated speaker at a time. Just thought it may be "good food for thought." It's the curiosity and constant questioning that keeps this hobby fun and interesting...for me at least.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I recently switched to a 3.1 config instead of 5.1 since my surround placement is off in many ways (SL is way farther than SR from MLP... 7ft vs. 3ft AND tweeters at ear level instead of 2-3 higher). Even the angles weren't quite right with the SL being more of a wide speaker and the SR more toward the back right of the head and quite close to me.

Anyhow, by switching the surround size in my AVR to none, the surround channels get re-routed to my mains, yet when measured in REW, those redirected channels are somewhat lower in level overall. Is that how thw AVR is supposed to handle 5.1/7.1 content with 3.1 speakers attached?

Attachments

17581 - 17600 of 29659 Posts