AVS Forum banner

17601 - 17620 of 29660 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
OK, here is what I found. I could not get REW/ASIO working with the front panel HDMI connection. When I switched to a spare HDMI connection on the back, I was able to get REW/ASIO working with some fiddling around (re-boots, switch to Java and back, prayers to the deity of your choice).

At this time, I don't know if the front panel HDMI connection is working properly--I'll test that out tomorrow. I seem to remember a similar issue with my 8801, but I don't remember how it was resolved. In the meantime, try a different HDMI port and report your results.
I will report back on how things work out tomorrow Jerry. Thanks again!
Same issue on my denon, front hdmi is pretty much useless, you should just avoid it. Seems like a serial error.
If indeed the front HDMI connection is not working, I would consider that a faulty unit. If I can't get it to work, I will report to Marantz technical support for their advice.
I have no issues using REW with the front HDMI on my Denon 4520.

I finally got REW to recognize both my UMIK and my Marantz. It was definately the front HDMI input that was causing the problem. Not sure if it is worth a call into Marantz or not...

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
^^^

To measure either the FL or FR + subs, all you have to do is output to either CH1 (FL) or CH2 (FR) with bass management engaged in your AVR (speakers set to "small"). If you would like to output to FL+FR+subs, you would choose CH1 in the Output drop down and CH2 in the Timing Reference Output drop down (again, with bass management engaged).

Reactions: MrGrey

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
^^^

To measure either the FL or FR + subs, all you have to do is output to either CH1 (FL) or CH2 (FR) with bass management engaged in your AVR (speakers set to "small"). If you would like to output to FL+FR+subs, you would choose CH1 in the Output drop down and CH2 in the Timing Reference Output drop down (again, with bass management engaged).
Thank you:). my graphs looks really good with the new sub placement.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Thank you:). my graphs looks really good with the new sub placement.

:confused:

Did you delete your earlier post? It seems to be gone now...was going to go back and look at your graph again. I just answered your question and didn't even look at it. :eek:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I finally got REW to recognize both my UMIK and my Marantz. It was definately the front HDMI input that was causing the problem. Not sure if it is worth a call into Marantz or not...
One (hopefully) last question, I have everything showing as it should in regard to my devices in REW. However, my UMIK still shows a gain of 18db in REW despite the fact I lowered to the suggested Windows 7 setting during initial set up. It has ALWAYS read 18db of gain regardless of where I position the slider at setup. Is this a problem?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Disregard. Found the answer. Thanks!

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts
One (hopefully) last question, I have everything showing as it should in regard to my devices in REW. However, my UMIK still shows a gain of 18db in REW despite the fact I lowered to the suggested Windows 7 setting during initial set up. It has ALWAYS read 18db of gain regardless of where I position the slider at setup. Is this a problem?
That's is not a problem at all. To determine the correct settings prior to running measurements, do this:

1. After placing the mic in the MLP, launch REW, open the SPL meter and click the red button so it is measuring.
2. Open the signal generator, select White Noise, Sub calibration tone, and set the level to -12dB FS.
3. Click the Play button to start the tone.
4. While observing the output level in the SPL, adjust the AVR master volume until the SPL reads 90dB.
5. You are ready to measure. Note the MV setting for future sessions.

Reactions: steveting99

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good evening all! I just received my UMM6 mic from cross spectrum today. I am hoping to get started with REW tomorrow. I hope I can ask. I have an Onkyo 809 AVR. Do I take it off of audessey? Do I need to set in manual EQ and set everything to flat? What about the setting for speaker distances, do I leave them as they are? Thanks for any input. I am really curious to see what my system and room are doing. I hope that it is not in vain.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I felt like a nood so i deleted it HA. here is the graph of the sub only.
Sub only is looking awesome Mr. Grey!

EDIT: Except for the black background....don't do that. :)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Good evening all! I just received my UMM6 mic from cross spectrum today. I am hoping to get started with REW tomorrow. I hope I can ask. I have an Onkyo 809 AVR. Do I take it off of audessey? Do I need to set in manual EQ and set everything to flat? What about the setting for speaker distances, do I leave them as they are? Thanks for any input. I am really curious to see what my system and room are doing. I hope that it is not in vain.

Thanks Mike
Hey Mike,

Have your read Jerry's guide (linked in my sig)? All your questions are answered within! :D

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts

Thanks Mike
Mike, I would think that you want to measure what you are hearing to see how well your system is performing, and whether there are areas for improvement. If that is that case, then you should measure with everything set up as you would have it during normal listening.

In other words, leave Audyssey on. Turn off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, if you use those features. You can measure Audyssey reference or Audyssey Flat (or both) to get a feeling for the differences. You should measure with both the main speakers and subs on, with the mains set to Small, and with a crossover configured (which I suspect is the way you would usually listen to your system). Measure Left+subs, Right+subs, Center+subs, Left+Right+subs, and subs by themselves. This will give you a good picture of how your system is performing. If these measurements reveal issues, then there are other measurements that will narrow down where an improvement might be required.

If you have not read the REW Guide (linked in my sig), you should do so before delving into measurements. There are tips specifically WRT how to present your results here, if you are looking for feedback.

Good luck, and keep dreaming!

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts
I am attempting for the 5th time to get REW calibrated so I can do some measuring and also integrate my new Mini DSP. I have the UMIK-1, calibration file downloaded, etc. etc. My computer has an HDMI going to my Marantz 7702MKII. My computer recognizes the Marantz as well as the UMIK and the display from my computer shows on the screen of my TV which is routed through the processor. Also, all audio test tones play through the correct 8 speakers. This is where IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! In REW under "Preferences" then ASIO Control Panel I can see the UMIK and it is " Active" the Marantz doesn't show but "Intel Display Audio" which is assigned to the Marantz does show but is "Idle". For the life of me I cannot get it to show as active. I have tried everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure why my HDMI port doesn't show but not sure if that is related.
OK, here is what I found. I could not get REW/ASIO working with the front panel HDMI connection. When I switched to a spare HDMI connection on the back, I was able to get REW/ASIO working with some fiddling around (re-boots, switch to Java and back, prayers to the deity of your choice).

At this time, I don't know if the front panel HDMI connection is working properly--I'll test that out tomorrow. I seem to remember a similar issue with my 8801, but I don't remember how it was resolved. In the meantime, try a different HDMI port and report your results.

Here are the results of additional testing regarding the front panel HDMI port and getting it to work with REW.

I have two laptops. One is an older model with an AMD chipset that only supports 2-channel HDMI. The newer model has an Intel chipset, and I purchased it specifically to get full 7.1 HDMI support.

When I plug the cable from my older laptop into the front panel HDMI port on my Marantz 8802A, the HDMI connection is immediately recognized, and REW/ASIO works as expected (for 2-channels only).

When I plug the cable from my new laptop into the front panel HDMI port, I get nothing, not even a HDMI handshake. I tried several different cables, and wiggled the connector to make sure it was seated properly. Still deader than a doornail. However, when I plug the laptop into a rear panel HDMI port, the laptop recognizes the Marantz, and REW/ASIO works as expected for the full 7.1 channels.

I have played around with the Video settings. Typically, for AUX1 I turn off all video processing--no video conversion, scaling, etc. No setting results in the front panel HDMI connection working with the new laptop.

This is perplexing. The front panel works for the old laptop, but not the new one. The new laptop works on a rear panel HDMI port. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am not going to worry about it anymore--using the rear panel HDMI port is a reasonable workaround.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Here are the results of additional testing regarding the front panel HDMI port and getting it to work with REW.

This is perplexing. The front panel works for the old laptop, but not the new one. The new laptop works on a rear panel HDMI port. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am not going to worry about it anymore--using the rear panel HDMI port is a reasonable workaround.
I'm having some confusing behavior from my pre-pro as well. Apparently it has an HDMI repeater in it to support all the ports it offers. That repeater is not a fully functional HDMI thing but works for for 2ch and some multi-channel audio but not TRUEHD etc.

I wonder if your Marantz is doing something similar.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts
I'm having some confusing behavior from my pre-pro as well. Apparently it has an HDMI repeater in it to support all the ports it offers. That repeater is not a fully functional HDMI thing but works for for 2ch and some multi-channel audio but not TRUEHD etc.

I wonder if your Marantz is doing something similar.
I don't know for sure. I have considered asking about front panel HDMI issues in the 8802 thread, but IMO the posters in that thread don't seem to be big REW users and probably couldn't care less whether I am having issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good Saturday morning to all! I am in the process of setting up everything to begin REW. I am to the point of opening up REW on page 36 of the guide. immediately it shows UMM6 detected for measurement. Do I select it? Next it ask about calibration. Do I follow along before getting to preferences?

Thanks Mike

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,898 Posts
Good Saturday morning to all! I am in the process of setting up everything to begin REW. I am to the point of opening up REW on page 36 of the guide. immediately it shows UMM6 detected for measurement. Do I select it? Next it ask about calibration. Do I follow along before getting to preferences?

Thanks Mike
Did you review Step 5 of the Guide, in which there are instructions for downloading and installing the mic's Sensitivity Parameter? If there is a Sensitivity Parameter in the mic's calibration file, manual calibration is not required. Review that section carefully (as well as the rest of the Guide)--your basic questions will be answered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Code:
Did you review Step 5 of the Guide, in which there are instructions for  downloading and installing the mic's Sensitivity Parameter?  If there is  a Sensitivity Parameter in the mic's calibration file, manual  calibration is not required.  Review that section carefully (as well as  the rest of the Guide)--your basic questions will be answered.
To be honest I have been following the guide step by step. I have not made it to step 5 yet. As far as ASIO is concerned I dont know if it is the way it should b, but all I have is an instruction manual.

My mic came from Cross Spectrum Labs, which apparently is calibrated. Also with the mic is a a flash drive with with calibration files. Should I be setting that up before going any further? Is that where step 5 comes in.

I am literally following step by step. If I need to be jumping around please let me know.

Thanks Mike

I would not be objected to chatting on the phone. If that would be cool PM me and let me know if not I understand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Code:
Did you review Step 5 of the Guide, in which there are instructions for  downloading and installing the mic's Sensitivity Parameter?  If there is  a Sensitivity Parameter in the mic's calibration file, manual  calibration is not required.  Review that section carefully (as well as  the rest of the Guide)--your basic questions will be answered.
To be honest I have been following the guide step by step. I have not made it to step 5 yet. As far as ASIO is concerned I dont know if it is the way it should b, but all I have is an instruction manual.

My mic came from Cross Spectrum Labs, which apparently is calibrated. Also with the mic is a a flash drive with with calibration files. Should I be setting that up before going any further? Is that where step 5 comes in.

I am literally following step by step. If I need to be jumping around please let me know.

Thanks Mike

I would not be objected to chatting on the phone. If that would be cool PM me and let me know if not I understand.

17601 - 17620 of 29660 Posts