AVS Forum banner

17621 - 17640 of 29651 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,877 Posts
Code:
Did you review Step 5 of the Guide, in which there are instructions for  downloading and installing the mic's Sensitivity Parameter?  If there is  a Sensitivity Parameter in the mic's calibration file, manual  calibration is not required.  Review that section carefully (as well as  the rest of the Guide)--your basic questions will be answered.
To be honest I have been following the guide step by step. I have not made it to step 5 yet. As far as ASIO is concerned I dont know if it is the way it should b, but all I have is an instruction manual.

My mic came from Cross Spectrum Labs, which apparently is calibrated. Also with the mic is a a flash drive with with calibration files. Should I be setting that up before going any further? Is that where step 5 comes in.

I am literally following step by step. If I need to be jumping around please let me know.

Thanks Mike

I would not be objected to chatting on the phone. If that would be cool PM me and let me know if not I understand.
I believe all your questions will be answered if you read Section 5.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe all your questions will be answered if you read Section 5.
I think I am a little closer. It is Time consuming. I do not want to screw things up. After saving sensitivity file as txt document and I paste into cross spectrums file which is on flash drive it pops up a warning that I am going save as text document which will change formatting. Is this proper?

I appreciate your time and efforts Jerry!
Thanks Mike

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,877 Posts
I think I am a little closer. It is Time consuming. I do not want to screw things up. After saving sensitivity file as txt document and I paste into cross spectrums file which is on flash drive it pops up a warning that I am going save as text document which will change formatting. Is this proper?

I appreciate your time and efforts Jerry!
Thanks Mike
I didn't know I was going to have to give PC lessons... :)

When saving a file that has been edited in Notepad, the file will be saved with an extension .TXT (i.e. a text file) unless you select "Save As", and change the option to "All Files" instead of text file. If you save the calibration with extension .TXT instead of the .FRD extension, the calibration file won't work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like I have to redo some things. I feel so out of element! Working on my car last weekend all day seemed slightly easier.

In the guide it says that with hdmi connection routing of signals is controlled in rew. (e.g. HDMI1 is LF, HDMI2 is RF, and so on.) Is this something that is visible on REW?

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,877 Posts
Looks like I have to redo some things. I feel so out of element! Working on my car last weekend all day seemed slightly easier.

In the guide it says that with hdmi connection routing of signals is controlled in rew. (e.g. HDMI1 is LF, HDMI2 is RF, and so on.) Is this something that is visible on REW?
In REW, when you click on the Output drop-down, it should list HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. These channels correspond to Left, Right, etc. as shown in the guide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you saving download into one of the calibration files? I can not save the mic sensitivity factor in any way other than .txt. This is the way it comes from Dayton and it will not let me change it.

I knew that there might be some learning curve with REW, but it is freaking eating my lunch.

It really should not be this difficult. I have found my self going back and forth in the guide and getting just a little traction.
What am I not seeing?

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,877 Posts
Are you saving download into one of the calibration files? I can not save the mic sensitivity factor in any way other than .txt. This is the way it comes from Dayton and it will not let me change it.

I knew that there might be some learning curve with REW, but it is freaking eating my lunch.

It really should not be this difficult. I have found my self going back and forth in the guide and getting just a little traction.
What am I not seeing?
1. Open the .TXT file from Dayton.
2. Highlight the first line with the sensitivity parameter and click Copy.
3. Open the 90 degree calibration file from CSL.
4. Paste the sensitivity parameter into line 1.
5. Save the file as a .FRD file.

This is pretty basic stuff, my friend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just maybe I have it. It might just be a freaking miracle. For all of that this perfectly worked out it is ok to laugh I can handle it.

Now I have taken measurements. The sweep is fairly quick. I was having a heard time actually telling where the sound was actually coming from or if the subs were actually involved.

Oh don't worry I will be questioning how to interpret everything, but for now I am unable to generate waterfall graph, any ideas? As if enough haven't been thrown out.

Thanks Mike

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,877 Posts
Just maybe I have it. It might just be a freaking miracle. For all of that this perfectly worked out it is ok to laugh I can handle it.

Now I have taken measurements. The sweep is fairly quick. I was having a heard time actually telling where the sound was actually coming from or if the subs were actually involved.

Oh don't worry I will be questioning how to interpret everything, but for now I am unable to generate waterfall graph, any ideas? As if enough haven't been thrown out.

Thanks Mike
The waterfall graph is simply another way of displaying an existing measurement. Assuming you have a good measurement for the bass region, 15-300Hz, then simply click the waterfall tab at the top of the screen, and then click the "Generate" button on the bottom left.

Sorry, I have to ask--did you read the section in the guide that describes exactly what I just posted?

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
then simply click the waterfall tab at the top of the screen, and then click the "Generate" button on the bottom left.
I love REW. If I had any input into the design, I would suggest the removal of the generate button(s). For example: when I click on the waterfall tab, it is given that I want to generate it. Otherwise, perhaps a global configuration option that would allow for generate to always be depressed when accessing a tab that has a generate function. Or moving the button up and making it really obvious that it's there would be great.

Lastly, since we use the preferences tab so much to change channels etc. It's be great to have that as a ribbon or side panel.

Please note, I'm not complaining at all. Just trying to provide constructive feedback.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Please note, I'm not complaining at all. Just trying to provide constructive feedback.
You can post any suggestions on hts, quite a few features have come from user requests (he added the "apply windows to all but keep ref time" button recently on request for example, the ref time being placed automatically is another, FDW yet another one and a much bigger feature to boot).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yamaha: What mode to use? Pure-direct, straight, through?

I'm just getting started with REW. I've read through the awesome step-by-step guide. I have my first set of measurements.

I can't remember the exact words, but I believe the guide suggests turning off room-eq.

My first goal is to optimize placement and settings for L/R speakers by themselves. I'll then add in the Sub.

Question 1) On a yamaha Aventage RX-A1000, does this mean I should use

A) Pure-Direct
B) Straight
C) Change PEQ to through? Set speaker to large?
D) Something else?

Question 2) I'm trying to confirm I'm doing things right. When I run a REW measurement with YPAO (sub + small L/R speakers, crossover=80) I then unplug the subwoofer to make sure nothing comes from the subwoofer.
I'm still seeing significant signal below the crossover frequency. Is this expected?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Question 1) On a yamaha Aventage RX-A1000, does this mean I should use

A) Pure-Direct
Straight apparently still does processing. Pure Direct turns off just about everything so the signal is "touched" as little as possible.

Question 2) I'm trying to confirm I'm doing things right. When I run a REW measurement with YPAO (sub + small L/R speakers, crossover=80) I then unplug the subwoofer to make sure nothing comes from the subwoofer.
I'm still seeing significant signal below the crossover frequency. Is this expected?
No crossover is perfect so expect some signal below it. It should be a pretty low signal.

Reactions: dlca1

·
Registered
122 Posts
I found the answers to some of my questions on hometheatershack at this link.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/yamaha-pure-direct-still-uses-no-subwoofer.1708073/

Adding here in case anybody else has similar questions.

"what the yamaha is doing there is a "pure direct" mode in which the yamaha will only provide amplification (gain) to each discrete channel input and nothing else. I would use this to test what a single speaker and the room at that speaker location are doing.
In "straight" mode the yamaha will provide x-over, distance (delay), bass/treble settings and equalizer settings to each discrete channel input. I would use this to test what the fronts and sub are doing together with different x-over, delay and eq settings.
"Stereo" mode in the yamaha is similar to straight except that if there are more than 2 discrete channels input it will downmix to just the fronts & sub (assuming fronts are set to small and xo is set."

Straight apparently still does processing. Pure Direct turns off just about everything so the signal is "touched" as little as possible.

No crossover is perfect so expect some signal below it. It should be a pretty low signal.
Thanks for the quick reply artur9!

Follow-up question 1) What is the proper setting when I want to move on to the sub-measurements ?

Do I stick with PureDirect and just measure HDMI Channel 4/LFE?

Follow-up question 2) How about when I want to move on to Left + Sub measurements? PureDirect will cut out the bass-management signals to the subwoofer, right?

Follow-up question 3) For some of the waterfall measurements, the guide suggests measuring L+R+Subwoofer. How do I do this in REW? I know how to include the 2nd channel, but am not sure how to include a third channel.

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again

·
Registered
122 Posts
First REW Measurements

Setup:

UMIK-1 + Windows 7 PC with REW
Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
HSU VTF15H-MK2
Yamaha RX-A1000

It might be just in my head, but something doesn't sound quite right with the new set of speakers. The sound feels a bit dead/not very full.

For my initial measurements, I've take the sub out of the equation. These are measured in PureDirect mode

Could I get some input/help on what the graphs are telling me and pointers towards next steps to remedy the problem?

Is the peak around 36 a problem? The spectrograph shows that it is lingering around quite a bit. I've pretty constrained about where I can place the speakers and moving them around a little doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks again in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Follow-up question 1) What is the proper setting when I want to move on to the sub-measurements ?

Do I stick with PureDirect and just measure HDMI Channel 4/LFE?

Follow-up question 2) How about when I want to move on to Left + Sub measurements? PureDirect will cut out the bass-management signals to the subwoofer, right?

Follow-up question 3) For some of the waterfall measurements, the guide suggests measuring L+R+Subwoofer. How do I do this in REW? I know how to include the 2nd channel, but am not sure how to include a third channel.

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again
The value of a subwoofer-only measurement is to find the place in the room that gives the best response at the main listening position (MLP). So, if you can, feed the sub the signal directly (say, through an analog input for subwoofer on the Yamaha). Then do the "sub crawl" to find the best place for the sub.

After that's done, you almost always want to do a L+sub/R+sub etc because you'll never listen to just the sub ever again. In this case you'll need to use Straight mode as that gives the bass management you'll need.

For the L+R+S you feed both L+R a signal (so 2 signals) and bass management will supply the signal to the sub.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Is the peak around 36 a problem? The spectrograph shows that it is lingering around quite a bit. I've pretty constrained about where I can place the speakers and moving them around a little doesn't seem to help much.
That's a room mode. Your best bet is to move the sub so that the mode is someplace else. Or use PEQ to reduce the level at that frequency. Otherwise lots of bass absorption (which is really REALLY hard at that low a frequency) or more subwoofers.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Here are the results of additional testing regarding the front panel HDMI port and getting it to work with REW.

I have two laptops. One is an older model with an AMD chipset that only supports 2-channel HDMI. The newer model has an Intel chipset, and I purchased it specifically to get full 7.1 HDMI support.

When I plug the cable from my older laptop into the front panel HDMI port on my Marantz 8802A, the HDMI connection is immediately recognized, and REW/ASIO works as expected (for 2-channels only).

When I plug the cable from my new laptop into the front panel HDMI port, I get nothing, not even a HDMI handshake. I tried several different cables, and wiggled the connector to make sure it was seated properly. Still deader than a doornail. However, when I plug the laptop into a rear panel HDMI port, the laptop recognizes the Marantz, and REW/ASIO works as expected for the full 7.1 channels.

I have played around with the Video settings. Typically, for AUX1 I turn off all video processing--no video conversion, scaling, etc. No setting results in the front panel HDMI connection working with the new laptop.

This is perplexing. The front panel works for the old laptop, but not the new one. The new laptop works on a rear panel HDMI port. This doesn't make any sense to me. I am not going to worry about it anymore--using the rear panel HDMI port is a reasonable workaround.

Now that I have HDMI issue resolved I have one or two other quick questions. First, I am pretty happy with how Audyssey X32 has things calibrated but have always suspected I am missing out on some mid-bass thump for my 2 Seaton F2 Submersives. After I confirm that is the case with REW sweeps with X32 turned on, am I correct in assuming I can go right to the NanoAVR HD Bass Correction in order to help boost my mid-bass? I don't really want to "equalize" all channels and mess up what I already have in Audyssey. And if that is indeed the case how do I keep the changes that I make in NanoAVR HD? Do I simply make the changes with X32 turned on and save the one of the Nano pre-sets? As always, any help and direction is greatly appreciated!!! Especially you Jerry. You have been extremely helpful as well as patient!

Keith

17621 - 17640 of 29651 Posts