AVS Forum banner

19661 - 19680 of 29659 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Doesn't that seem like too many filters between 20-30Hz? Especially with the big boost @20 immediately followed by the big cut @23?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Doesn't that seem like too many filters between 20-30Hz? Especially with the big boost @20 immediately followed by the big cut @23?
Yes, all of the filters listed in that pic are highly undesirable. The response shown probably needs maybe 2-3 filters at most.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts
Yes, all of the filters listed in that pic are highly undesirable. The response shown probably needs maybe 2-3 filters at most.
Yeah first off disregard that. I've received a ton of time, attention, and help from many of the folks here - to the point where I realize some, or many of you are annoyed with me. It's not lost on me. Just know that while I try to learn and ask lots of questions, I realize I can be frustrating at times. But I do appreciate all the time and effort from those here to help. I realize you can be spending your time elsewhere and you have no obligation to help me; so thank you.

Back to the question at hand. I turned a corner last night when I realized that creating lots of high Q close filters wasn't a good idea. After all of this, something I thought of that can be extremely helpful is if there was a list of things not to do, and why. Does this exist anywhere, or if it's only a small number of things, would someone mind responding with such info? For example, don't use Q's over 10 because x, y, and z. Don't use boost filters because x, y, and z. etc. Tonight I am going to just go back to basics as I think the first shot at all of this was better than what I was doing last night. Going to run a sweep in CH4 with EQ off, then auto filter that using the REW 101 guide and apply those filters to the miniDSP 2x4 HD and see how I do with the response. The method of flattening the entire LFE response, then using the AVR crossover to drop it past 80 just didn't work for me, in my situation. Or I was doing something wrong. But after 4 hours of trial and error and not getting anywhere, I'm convinced its more a product of sub location and room dynamics that just can't be helped entirely with EQ. I am, however, convinced that my response can be corrected between 20-80hz to a high degree using basic REW EQ.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
My mistake. The center should be set to small with the highest crossover that can be configured, typically 250Hz. I guess if you can set the LPF for LFE to 250Hz as well, it doesn't matter if you measure HDMI4 or HDMI3.
If you smooth your graph to 1/6th, that is what your ears can hear.
You mean full range, right? I thought unsmoothed was best suited for the modal region.

·
3,173 Posts
Just found this guide - why not point me to this for creating filters usnig miniDSP 2x4 HD? Very similar to @AustinJerry 's time aligning multiple guide section 8 but specifically for 2x4 HD EQ.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
+1, flat target line with about 3 filters like the ones I suggested should be perfectly adequate

·
3,173 Posts
+1, flat target line with about 3 filters like the ones I suggested should be perfectly adequate
The one you sent me is the one i plan to load onto it tonight. After, I'll rerun MCACC then turn AVR EQ on. Then I will sweep with CH4 and CH3 at MLP and SLP and post results here later tonight.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You mean full range, right? I thought unsmoothed was best suited for the modal region.
You are correct. My intent was to convey that it's OK for your response to be a little wavy and not perfectly flat since our hearing is not as sensitive as an non-smoothed graph.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
The one you sent me is the one i plan to load onto it tonight. After, I'll rerun MCACC then turn AVR EQ on. Then I will sweep with CH4 and CH3 at MLP and SLP and post results here later tonight.
On second thought, if you are using a ch3 sub measure with cc set to small and 200Hz crossover and cc unplugged, send me that .mdat file. That way the entire sub response can be flattened vs. just up to 105Hz or so with ch4.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
You are correct. My intent was to convey that it's OK for your response to be a little wavy and not perfectly flat since our hearing is not as sensitive as an non-smoothed graph.
If you smooth your graph to 1/6th, that is what your ears can hear.
this is incorrect, it comes from the idea that approximate bandwidth of the filters in your hearing equates to some particular fractional octave smoothing of a long windowed sweep.
Hmm... so what is the correct way to show full range response? Variable smoothing? 6 cycle FDW?

·
3,173 Posts
I don't like the idea of adding a LPF into the target line for EQ in REW. Mainly because the AVR has it's own LPFs for bass management and sometimes even LFE.

Here's what a flat response looks like:

View attachment 1589961
Here's an example of keeping the LPF, but with a very mild 12dB/oct at 120Hz:

View attachment 1590089
These are what I'll try tonight. I understand the LPF stuff now - at least at a high level.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Just sent this over to the miniDSP 2x4 HD. Based on average of 7 readings. .mdat here.

Ouch. That did this!

Can I see the full .mdat for this sub only measure? I think it would be more useful for generating filters since it bypasses any LFE LPF/Crossover in the AVR.

·
3,173 Posts
Can I see the full .mdat for this sub only measure? I think it would be more useful for generating filters since it bypasses any LFE LPF/Crossover in the AVR.
Can be downloaded here. This is all before the Average line was created.

NOTE: One thing I realized this morning might be messing up my measures. Last night I couldent get the UMIK-1 to show under input devices, though it was lit up under the ASIO control panel. REW kept telling me "assuming HD Audio Stereo Input is UMIK-1" when i would launch it. This happened ever since I added the miniDSP 2x4 HD to the mix. The UMIK-1 in my recording preferences used to show as a mic - as of last night it was showing as a Line. I took all these measurements like that. Wondering if that was messing something up?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Can be downloaded here. This is all before the Average line was created.

NOTE: One thing I realized this morning might be messing up my measures. Last night I couldent get the UMIK-1 to show under input devices, though it was lit up under the ASIO control panel. REW kept telling me "assuming HD Audio Stereo Input is UMIK-1" when i would launch it. This happened ever since I added the miniDSP 2x4 HD to the mix. The UMIK-1 in my recording preferences used to show as a mic - as of last night it was showing as a Line. I took all these measurements like that. Wondering if that was messing something up?
do I average everything? or just certain measures?

·
3,173 Posts
do I average everything? or just certain measures?
I was struggling with this question last night. The MLPMain and SLPMain is where mine and my wife's heads would be when watching movies/TV. Maybe just average those 2? Then again, she really could care less about sound quality and there is almost no chance she would notice any difference thats made with the miniDSP 2x4 HD. So then I was thinking just to use the Red line MLPMain and make the filter from that. Could we do both of those and see what the difference is, if any?

Also, any idea if my note above negates the measures or messes with them at all?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I was struggling with this question last night. The MLPMain and SLPMain is where mine and my wife's heads would be when watching movies/TV. Maybe just average those 2? Then again, she really could care less about sound quality and there is almost no chance she would notice any difference thats made with the miniDSP 2x4 HD. So then I was thinking just to use the Red line MLPMain and make the filter from that. Could we do both of those and see what the difference is, if any?

Also, any idea if my note above negates the measures or messes with them at all?
Here's MLP Main Only (flat 15-300Hz):

Capture.JPG

Attachments

·
3,173 Posts
Here's MLP Main Only (flat 15-300Hz):

View attachment 1592649
Wow thanks. For learning and post comparison purposes, whenever you get a chance can you post the .mdat so I can see how you did the filters? The waterfall looks decent right? Not a lot of ringing? Not concerned about the 116.5Hz dip there?

19661 - 19680 of 29659 Posts